Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
ourhearts137
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326620
Default Tired of those old rims?

I bought my 09 impreza with 28k miles on it a few weeks ago, but I couldn't get over how terrible the "racing" rims were that some sixteen year old kid put on the car.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nl...on_9554739.jpg

For reference to what they used to look like. The black paint wore quickly, brake dust that never got cleaned off of them was caked onto the spokes, and the center plastic piece was faded badly by the sun, so it was yellow and no longer transparent. Not to mention I'm not a big fan of the black/poor attempt at chrome look. After watching numerous tutorials on youtube and reading some literature on the internet, I decided to paint my rims.

The materials I used

1 x Can of Duplicolor Etching Primer (green)
1 x Can of Duplicolor Graphite High Performance Wheel Paint
1 x Can of Duplicolor Clear Coat High Performance Wheel Coating
5 x Sheets of 3M 320 grit sandpaper
2 x Packs of 100 index cards

Total cost - 31.90

After removing the lugnuts (which was a pain in the ass considering the little kid who owned it before me put on low profile security lugnuts), I removed all the tires and cleaned/sprayed them off. I let my sandpaper soak for about an hour in some clean water before sanding, which made the sanding process much more tolerable.

These rims were a pain in the ass to sand because of all the little grooves between spokes and on the spokes themselves. The 320 grit was excellent at removing the clearcoat and some areas of paint off the rims.

After the rims were sanded down, I washed and sprayed them again and let them sun dry while I drank a beer.

After I finished my beer and the wheels were dry, I removed the valve stem and let the air out of my tires so that I could place the index cards between the lip of the rim and the rubber. This helped prevent overspray which I severely underestimated. After I placed the index cards, I laid down three thin coats of the Duplicolor etching primer. This stuff is awesome. I've never had a primer job come out this good in my whole life. The directional spray nozzle was also very helpful in preventing clump of primer from gathering and it was dry and sturdy in under two minutes. You could respray the primer every 2 minutes until a good solid coat was achieved.

After letting the primer it for an hour, I then sprayed on the paint, three thin layers of the Duplicolor Graphite paint. This paint was surprisingly good as well as it has a very high level of "sparkle" shine to it. Even without clearcoat, the paint job was looking very professional. The paint could be reapplied every 10 minutes, with the last coat being within an hour of your first coat (as per instructions on the can.)

After the paint sat for an hour, I could really tell the green primer darkened up the graphite color because they turned out to be the color I was trying to achieve. I used the Duplicolor clear coat in 2 light coats, with 10 minutes in between, and then one medium "wet coat" which really made these wheels shine something fierce.

This was the final product and I'll be adding more pictures tomorrow once they're remounted to the car. (I am giving the paint and clearcoat at least 24 hours before I put them on the road)

http://imgur.com/gxi90

These rims previously had curb damage which was almost invisible after being repainted, and the adhesion to the metal was amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing what the whole car looks like tomorrow. Check back to see the updated pictures!

Thanks for stopping by and let me know if you have any questions!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ourhearts137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Dylan7262
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 327360

Hey man nice job on the painting!! Not really digging the style of rim though.

My rims have some curb damage as well and I am looking to fix them and paint them sometime soon
Dylan7262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
mav1c
Hoodbridge!

Member#: 560
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 STi, '11 A4
Crystal Gray, Silver

Good job with the painting.

Wheels are still ugly.
mav1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
ourhearts137
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan7262 View Post
Hey man nice job on the painting!! Not really digging the style of rim though.

My rims have some curb damage as well and I am looking to fix them and paint them sometime soon
I used only sandpaper and the results turned out pretty good, but if you can pick up a wirewheel brush and get some of that frayed metal to buff out, it'd be that much better. I just didn't really care all that much
ourhearts137 is offline   Reply With Quote