Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
SouthernWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321571
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Base
Ice Silver

Default '12 WRX Stage 1 first logs

So I just did two pulls. It's a '12 with the Stage 1 93 octane map. Running Chevron gas, temp today is 94 with about 90% humidity, both runs on flat surface. All pulls were in third gear. Please take a look when you can and let me thoughts/comments. Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...IUFdGc1E#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...tUzA1dkE#gid=0

By the way. Car has 44XX miles and only about 100 +/- 15 miles on the tune.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by SouthernWRX; 08-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.
SouthernWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
bacalhau16
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297565
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatch
Silver

There seems to be a lot of knock learning in your run. It is good that it is learning away from the second log, but Thats a lot of knock.

What are your Mods, and what map are you using?
bacalhau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
SouthernWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Base
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacalhau16 View Post
There seems to be a lot of knock learning in your run. It is good that it is learning away from the second log, but Thats a lot of knock.

What are your Mods, and what map are you using?
Only mod is a Nameless Performance Axleback Muffler Delete. I'm running the OTS Stage 1 93 Octane map.

Also the A/C was on and at the end of both runs I let off the throttle. However on run two, I let off and shifted into neutral, whereas in run one I just let off and coasted down in 3rd.

Last edited by SouthernWRX; 08-06-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWRX View Post
So I just did two pulls. It's a '12 with the Stage 1 93 octane map. Running Chevron gas, temp today is 94 with about 90% humidity, both runs on flat surface. All pulls were in third gear. Please take a look when you can and let me thoughts/comments. Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...IUFdGc1E#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...tUzA1dkE#gid=0

By the way. Car has 44XX miles and only about 100 +/- 15 miles on the tune.
You have some sporadic single counts of fine knock learning - they appear to be from past events, so hard to tell what was the cause. Sometimes you can get fine knock learning at high load upon lifting off the throttle abruptly at the end of a WOT run (which is just noise). The correction(s) get re-applied over and over in a surrounding load/RPM range until they eventually learn back to zero (which is what the majority of your corrections are doing). I would keep logging your WOT runs (if you can do so safely) and see what they look like.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
SouthernWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Base
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
You have some sporadic single counts of fine knock learning - they appear to be from past events, so hard to tell what was the cause. Sometimes you can get fine knock learning at high load upon lifting off the throttle abruptly at the end of a WOT run (which is just noise). The correction(s) get re-applied over and over in a surrounding load/RPM range until they eventually learn back to zero (which is what the majority of your corrections are doing). I would keep logging your WOT runs (if you can do so safely) and see what they look like.

Bill
Will do. Few qustions, should i take it that high in the RPM range? When I let off the throttle, should it be back out to 3/4, than to just some position where I'm lossing speed? Also, am I causing any damage, and since there is some learning going on can I assume it was knocking at some point? If so how do I figure out what was/is causing the knock? Are the learing numbers way out of a "safe" spec, if there is one? I also did these runs on the very EMPTY tank. Not sure if that matters, however I would like yall to have as much info about the runs as possiable. Thanks.

Not sure if you noticed in my last response, but I did just let completely off the throttle after both runs.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Will do. Few qustions, should i take it that high in the RPM range? When I let off the throttle, should it be back out to 3/4, than to just some position where I'm lossing speed? Also, am I causing any damage, and since there is some learning going on can I assume it was knocking at some point? If so how do I figure out what was/is causing the knock? Are the learing numbers way out of a "safe" spec, if there is one? I also did these runs on the very EMPTY tank. Not sure if that matters, however I would like yall to have as much info about the runs as possiable. Thanks.
High load fine knock learning of a single count (-1.4 which learns back to zero gradually) is fairly common on these cars and is usually just lift-throttle noise from what we've seen (either at the end of a WOT run or before shifting). When you start to see multiple counts -2.8 or worse or you see feedback knock correction (even single count) in the middle of the WOT run (and not due to mashing the throttle), then it could be a concern. But, you are talking about minor corrections in your case - not a big deal. You may be able to avoid it by rolling off the throttle at the end of a WOT run, but it isn't a problem that its there as it is only noise.

You can add the knock sums to your logs - this will make it easier to see the perceived knock event when it comes to fine knock learning. The values of the knock sums themselves are meaningless, so don't get caught up in those values (some cylinders will naturally be higher than others as well). You just look at when the knock sum increments during the WOT run - that indicates a perceived knock event.

Bill
Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
SouthernWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Base
Ice Silver

Ok, just did another pull. Now I have knock for about the first 1400 RPM in the run and learing in the last 400 RPM or so. Ill try to get more pulls.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kMnNxMWc#gid=0
Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
SouthernWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Base
Ice Silver

Here are two more from this evening.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZUzE0cVE#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EeUZYTUE#gid=0

I also notice I'm not hitting target boost of 16.5, should I try the HWG map?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
bacalhau16
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297565
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatch
Silver

You're only .5lb away for the most part, so that is within spec. If you used the HWG map, you may end up overboosting.
bacalhau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Here are two more from this evening.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZUzE0cVE#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EeUZYTUE#gid=0

I also notice I'm not hitting target boost of 16.5, should I try the HWG map?
You are borderline low. You can try the HWG map, but I would carefully log to make sure this does not result in too much boost. Also check your boost when going WOT in 5th gear if you reflash the HWG map - make sure you are not hitting over 1 psi over target there.

Bill
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
SouthernWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Base
Ice Silver

Thanks for the replies fellas.

So do I need to be concerned with the fine knock learning I'm seeing. Or should I give it some time and maybe post some logs in about a week, to see where it is?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Thanks for the replies fellas.

So do I need to be concerned with the fine knock learning I'm seeing. Or should I give it some time and maybe post some logs in about a week, to see where it is?
I would take a few more logs, but nothing really concerning at this point.

Bill
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
SouthernWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Base
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
I would take a few more logs, but nothing really concerning at this point.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the time and help on this. I actually took a few more logs since these and the FKL is steadly going away. I think my last log it only populated two cells right around the 4500 rpm range and it was only -.7 or -.35. Ill post some new logs next week to see where it stands. Once agian thanks to all for the input.