Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Post E85 Questions

Okay well, this might be a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer on google anywhere! I'm considering running E85 in my car and NJ only has like 3 stations that sell it. So what I'm thinking of doing is keeping 55 gallon drums of it at my house. My question is, is that legal to do? Is it any different from storing a gas can at your house? Is their only like a certain amount I can keep at my house? Etc. And also, is their any specific way to store the fuel? Certain temp, shaded area, put wood under the drum, etc? Lemme know. Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
draco159
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 204121
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
CGM

Default

You'd have to check your state laws and HOA on legality, though I assume it is fine.

It is no different than storing normal gas, just make sure the container is suitable for it since it is different than say 93.

There shouldn't be a limit that you keep at your house, but 55gal is a lot so you should be fine with one container. I hope you have a plan to have it transported to your house because that container will be very heavy, definitely not something you can do by yourself.

I store my e85 in two 5gal containers in my garage. No smell or anything. Just use common sense when storing it (i.e. away from flames, sunlight, high heat)
draco159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
pearljam11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 113335
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Downingtown, Pa
Vehicle:
04 wrxVF39 282/266
05 STi AgileTuned 320/352

Default

Sounds like a pain. I'd get tuned for e85 and 93 and just switch to e85 map when you find some and want to have fun.
pearljam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by draco159 View Post
You'd have to check your state laws and HOA on legality, though I assume it is fine.

It is no different than storing normal gas, just make sure the container is suitable for it since it is different than say 93.

There shouldn't be a limit that you keep at your house, but 55gal is a lot so you should be fine with one container. I hope you have a plan to have it transported to your house because that container will be very heavy, definitely not something you can do by yourself.

I store my e85 in two 5gal containers in my garage. No smell or anything. Just use common sense when storing it (i.e. away from flames, sunlight, high heat)
Yeah, I'm gunna go to my town and see what they say? Bc I can't seem to find the clear answer on the internet! And I have a truck with a lift gate that I'll be able to put up and down, and then I'll just hand truck it with a few friends!
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam11 View Post
Sounds like a pain. I'd get tuned for e85 and 93 and just switch to e85 map when you find some and want to have fun.
Yeah that's also an option, but I know once I start running E85 and feel the power, I'm gunna be disappointed and unhappy with pump and I'm gunna wanna run E85.
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

I think your first step should be to see if you can even source a 55 gallon drum of it. If not, you have met your wall.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber
I think your first step should be to see if you can even source a 55 gallon drum of it. If not, you have met your wall.
What do you mean by "source a 55 gallon drum"? Like keep it at my house legally?
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
FLEX'N WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163672
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Where the sidewalk ends...
Vehicle:
GV
Same color as veneers

Default

The 93 tune is backup, an out if e85 is not available, or the e85 mix were fouled. Not a likely scenario, NJ has been fairly consistent with the mixes. With such limited availability what if one of those stations ran out? No big deal if your car is not a DD.

Have you considered ordering your fuel? Ordering a palet, (4)55 gallon drums, will cost you the same as what you pay at NJ pumps. That's with having it shipped to you. It's always consistent mixture as well. If you have the space, and somehwat controlled environment to store that much fuel. It'd be a huge loss if that fuel weren't stored properly though.

55 gallon drums are readily available if you just decide to go with your original idea.
FLEX'N WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX'N WRX View Post
The 93 tune is backup, an out if e85 is not available, or the e85 mix were fouled. Not a likely scenario, NJ has been fairly consistent with the mixes. With such limited availability what if one of those stations ran out? No big deal if your car is not a DD.

Have you considered ordering your fuel? Ordering a palet, (4)55 gallon drums, will cost you the same as what you pay at NJ pumps. That's with having it shipped to you. It's always consistent mixture as well. If you have the space, and somehwat controlled environment to store that much fuel. It'd be a huge loss if that fuel weren't stored properly though.

55 gallon drums are readily available if you just decide to go with your original idea.
You just confused me soo much with the way you phrased that! I already have 55 gallon drums, I would just have to fill them. And Newark Airport gas station sells E85 which is 20min from me. So I'd most likely get it from there!
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
FLEX'N WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163672
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Where the sidewalk ends...
Vehicle:
GV
Same color as veneers

Default

I have explored other options as I like consistency with my fuel. E85 is practically premium cost and isn't pure 85 at Newark, ever.

Last edited by FLEX'N WRX; 09-16-2012 at 02:30 PM.
FLEX'N WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX'N WRX View Post
I have explored other options as I like consistency with my fuel. E85 is practically premium cost and isn't pure 85 at Newark, ever.
Really?!? So where do you get fuel when u run E85?
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Jim2752
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147610
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2007 Stage 2 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Januch09 View Post
Really?!? So where do you get fuel when u run E85?
I've also seen in a thread somewhere that Newark airport is actually around e70.
Jim2752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2752

I've also seen in a thread somewhere that Newark airport is actually around e70.
Damn that sucks! Thanks for the heads up!
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Jim2752
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147610
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2007 Stage 2 STi
WRB

Default

Google "E85 NJ"
There should be a website that shows all the E85 stations in NJ.
Jim2752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Default

Yeah theres four of them. And the closest one to me is Newark Airport, that's why I figured I'd go there, but if your saying they aren't true E85 idk what imma do.
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
zackg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248581
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2012 STI
WRB

Default

you run into the problem where you can't fill a container that is not on the ground. So you'd have to get the drum on the ground, fill it, then get it back into whatever truck. Or you can try to fill it in the back of a truck and hope the ... well nevermind, i just read you live in NJ.
zackg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackg View Post
you run into the problem where you can't fill a container that is not on the ground. So you'd have to get the drum on the ground, fill it, then get it back into whatever truck. Or you can try to fill it in the back of a truck and hope the ... well nevermind, i just read you live in NJ.
What?!? Why wouldn't I be able to fill it while the drums in the back of my truck? And what does living in NJ have to do with anything?
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Mr645
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320769
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 door
Blue

Default

E85 can range from 50% to 83% ethanol and be called e85. It also has a life span of about 4 weeks
Mr645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr645 View Post
E85 can range from 50% to 83% ethanol and be called e85. It also has a life span of about 4 weeks
Okay but how do I know if I'm getting true E85 or like 62% lol....is their a way I can test it at the pump or nah? And only 4 weeks? That kinda sucks, E85 is getting less and less appealing to me! But yet the power advantage I get out of it is extremely nice!
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #20
simon021
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 157532
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
2002 MY03 EJ207 E85
Dom 1.5XTR Twinscroll!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Januch09 View Post
What?!? Why wouldn't I be able to fill it while the drums in the back of my truck? And what does living in NJ have to do with anything?
You aren't supposed to fill any external fuel container that is not on the ground.

That goes for gas cans, drums of gas, any external fuel container that is not attached to the vehicle.

If you plan on buying/transporting/storing large quantities of fuel, you should probably find someone local to explain the legal/safety aspects of it all.

An internet forum is probably not the best place to be asking state/county specific legal and safety questions.
simon021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #21
FLEX'N WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163672
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Where the sidewalk ends...
Vehicle:
GV
Same color as veneers

Default

E85 can be stored for months at a time if done properly. Neglect can foul any fuel.

If e85 test less than e70, report to the station and get refunded.
FLEX'N WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #22
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX'N WRX View Post
E85 can be stored for months at a time if done properly. Neglect can foul any fuel.

If e85 test less than e70, report to the station and get refunded.
Yeah thats true! But I would test it right there as I fill it and if its less than at least 75%, I'd show the attendant and have him/her contact their boss!
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #23
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon021 View Post
You aren't supposed to fill any external fuel container that is not on the ground.

That goes for gas cans, drums of gas, any external fuel container that is not attached to the vehicle.

If you plan on buying/transporting/storing large quantities of fuel, you should probably find someone local to explain the legal/safety aspects of it all.

An internet forum is probably not the best place to be asking state/county specific legal and safety questions.
Who can I ask locally to explain the legal aspects of attaining E85?
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #24
BlackJavaPearl04
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198522
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Up State NY
Vehicle:
98 LGT Limited
00 LGT -WRX swap

Default

youd want an msds sheet for that info and to consult with perhaps your local FD
BlackJavaPearl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
Januch09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309459
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan
Satin White Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJavaPearl04 View Post
youd want an msds sheet for that info and to consult with perhaps your local FD
msds sheet? Why fire department? That has nothing to do with them other than if it were to catch on fire correct? Would I get better answers if I went to the town hall or something?
Januch09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.