Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
lj8915
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329252
Join Date: Aug 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Subaru WRX

Default Traded in 2012 WRX for a 2013 Ford Focus ST. Brief thoughts inside...

Positives (a lot):

-feels faster than my TP stage 1 wrx, no lag, torque starts way low in the rpm's

-interior is light years ahead of the wrx..not even close here

-MPG is also amazing. At 32.9mpg with 90% highway right now

-seriously handles better than the wrx and feels easier to push hard around the corners. Did not expect that at all

-looks way better than the wrx....of course this is an opinion

-daily driving comfort blows away the wrx...can be quiet and smooth when you want it to, or mean and loud when you want it to


Negatives:

-no AWD




I understand this is a subaru forum so I might be bashed for this, but I figured I'd post my brief thoughts in case anyone was in the situation I was in (wanting to trade wrx for something different). If you have any questions, let me know. Only had it for less than a day, so more thoughts to come.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
lj8915 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
bigdog826
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314841
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2001 2.5 RS
Black

Default

Also don't forget the focus st is brand new, the current wrx is old. Wait till the 2015 wrx comes out, then we can draw conclusions
bigdog826 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Napalm3nema
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 263954
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2014 EVO Yes, EVO
Wicked White

Default

Let us know when you get annoyed by FWD burnouts in a few weeks.
Napalm3nema is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
~The_Duke~
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 215109
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cumming, Ga
Vehicle:
2014 WRX-STi 5-Door
Plasma Blue

Default

Wait till you have to replace something.

Its a ford... You will have to either take it to the dealer, or call up the local dealer tools supply to be able to find the crap you need to take it apart with. Get really for some "Ford is the only one that sells it" parts that they will need a both arms and legs to pay for.

They design their cars so you almost have to take them into a shop.

Good luck getting any help with them as well because the Focus community is completely useless.

Not saying subaru is the best ever, because Mazda\community does a pretty good job of providing help down the road.

Good luck.
~The_Duke~ is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Flyboy86
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357622
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Vehicle:
2013 STI

Default

Congrats on the new ride. I think theyre a pretty slick car. drove next to one going down the highway a few days ago.
Flyboy86 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
AugustusMaximus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63060
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 WRX, RS
orange, stm

Default

What color did you get? I really liked them but recently got a 2013 WRX because of the awd and because the Focus is a bit more "boy racerish".
AugustusMaximus is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog826 View Post
Also don't forget the focus st is brand new, the current wrx is old. Wait till the 2015 wrx comes out, then we can draw conclusions


So tell me where I can go buy a 2015 WRX, otherwise it's a moot point. As long as Subaru is selling 2013 WRXes and Ford is selling 2013 STs, it's the most valid comparison out there. Enough with this ricer logic, "yeah, well let's just wait a couple years and then compare them!".

Quote:
They design their cars so you almost have to take them into a shop.
Really, have you ever actually owned a Ford or are you just repeating some nonsense one of your friends told you or something you read on this website?

I've been all over my car. I've replaced the exhaust, the intake, tuned it, done all my own oil changes, and replaced most of the suspension components. Not once have I needed some sort of special Ford tool or felt the need to take it to the dealer.

It's a Ford, not a god damn Lamborghini. You don't need special tools to work on these things. It's a mass produced, American automobile.
FaastLegacy is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
MUscooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 86019
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Stg 1
World Rally Blue

Default

How is the cornering under hard acceleration? I understand if you haven't pushed it that hard yet, but I am genuinely curious to see how well they have compensated for the FWD. Considering going FWD for my next (distant future) car because I live in place where it is sunny 300 days a year.
MUscooby is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
lj8915
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329252
Join Date: Aug 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Subaru WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustusMaximus View Post
What color did you get? I really liked them but recently got a 2013 WRX because of the awd and because the Focus is a bit more "boy racerish".

Silver. Was going to get white until I saw the silver in person.

And the ST is more boy racerish? I thought the exact opposite.
lj8915 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
lj8915
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329252
Join Date: Aug 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Subaru WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUscooby View Post
How is the cornering under hard acceleration? I understand if you haven't pushed it that hard yet, but I am genuinely curious to see how well they have compensated for the FWD. Considering going FWD for my next (distant future) car because I live in place where it is sunny 300 days a year.
Haven't pushed it hard, but check out some videos on that. Nothing but praise for the handling of this vehicle.
lj8915 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
~The_Duke~
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 215109
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cumming, Ga
Vehicle:
2014 WRX-STi 5-Door
Plasma Blue

Default

Quote:
Really, have you ever actually owned a Ford or are you just repeating some nonsense one of your friends told you or something you read on this website?

I've been all over my car. I've replaced the exhaust, the intake, tuned it, done all my own oil changes, and replaced most of the suspension components. Not once have I needed some sort of special Ford tool or felt the need to take it to the dealer.

It's a Ford, not a god damn Lamborghini. You don't need special tools to work on these things. It's a mass produced, American automobile.
I've owned 4 fords. Getting ready to get rid of the last one and its $300 PZEV approved air filter that requires a special screw driver bit (star key with a hollow bit in the middle) to remove. That bit cant be bought at home depot, advanced auto, autozone, orielly, or any of the other local stores. DEALER only tool. Now that being said, this car has given me the least trouble out of ANY other car I've owned. It however hasn't been used for motorsports. lol

The ford truck I had the brake calipers had a cast iron shell with plastic pistons in them... That's an "excellent" design. That same truck spun a bearing at 93k for no apparent reason.

Ford is a great car for non-car people that take their car into a shop every time something needs done to it. If you plan on doing the work yourself, you shouldn't have bought a ford. Maybe they've done better with the brand new cars, but they certainly screwed the pooch from 2000-2005. (2000 ford focus, 2004 ford focus, 2005 ford focus, 2003 Ford Ranger)

Personally I'll never own another one.

I am glad though that ford decided to give us one of their sporty cars instead of keeping them all over in Europe.
~The_Duke~ is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
mreed
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 356267
Join Date: May 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm3nema View Post
Let us know when you get annoyed by FWD burnouts in a few weeks.
Let us know what milage you hit ringland failure at.
mreed is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~The_Duke~ View Post
I've owned 4 fords. Getting ready to get rid of the last one and its $300 PZEV approved air filter that requires a special screw driver bit (star key with a hollow bit in the middle) to remove. That bit cant be bought at home depot, advanced auto, autozone, orielly, or any of the other local stores. DEALER only tool. Now that being said, this car has given me the least trouble out of ANY other car I've owned. It however hasn't been used for motorsports. lol
My air filter box has three metal clips that just flip off - no tools needed. I can go down to Wal Mart or any local auto parts store and buy an air filter for $15.

(I'm guessing you own one of the hybrids? That would explain a lot.)

Quote:
Ford is a great car for non-car people that take their car into a shop every time something needs done to it. If you plan on doing the work yourself, you shouldn't have bought a ford. Maybe they've done better with the brand new cars, but they certainly screwed the pooch from 2000-2005. (2000 ford focus, 2004 ford focus, 2005 ford focus, 2003 Ford Ranger)
It's great for this car guy that does all his own work too. Mine is a 2011, maybe something has changed. I've rented a few other Fords in the past couple years and none of them looked particularly complicated under the hood either.
FaastLegacy is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
Napalm3nema
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 263954
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2014 EVO Yes, EVO
Wicked White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreed View Post
Let us know what milage you hit ringland failure at.
Ran my 2008 STi for 115k trouble free miles. I had a proper tune on it and don't drive like an asshat, so don't expect that to happen to me.
Napalm3nema is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Congrats on the new car. Cobb's already got a stage 3 setup for it. Puts it at about 300 whp and 380 wtq. Let us know how it drives when you're at that level of tune.
Gallo2011 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
HAL1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 58926
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix, AZ - Chandler
Vehicle:
2013 WRX 5dr ISM
2011 Infiniti EX35

Default

My focus st drive yielded torque steer and an interior that while superior, felt cramped and roo cockpit-y. To hard for me to live with as a dd.
HAL1 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
Echodeltaseg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 362716
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
09 sti
metallic grey

Default

no matter what anyone says if you like your car you like it. Seems like In MY opinion your kinda having some buyers remorse and need some reassurance if your asking that question here. If ken block jumped ship then hey cant go wrong. BUt i know for me im on my second subaru and wont look back. Its a no branier for me i will NEVERT drive a FWD vehicle. if you drag it expect the chatter.

the only plus in my opinion is the 6spd. anything else is speculation
Echodeltaseg is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
~The_Duke~
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 215109
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cumming, Ga
Vehicle:
2014 WRX-STi 5-Door
Plasma Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
My air filter box has three metal clips that just flip off - no tools needed. I can go down to Wal Mart or any local auto parts store and buy an air filter for $15.

(I'm guessing you own one of the hybrids? That would explain a lot.)



It's great for this car guy that does all his own work too. Mine is a 2011, maybe something has changed. I've rented a few other Fords in the past couple years and none of them looked particularly complicated under the hood either.
The 2.3L PZEV Ford Focus Wagon Motor has a foam filter air box thingy with a turkey pop thingy on the side of it. It was a $300 part, not sure how much they are now. I cant even find the stupid thing on the ford parts site. Looks like this, this is a used one (<-Its a link)

You had one of the normal cars, the kind the I expected to find when I went to change the air filter for the first time.

They didn't sell hybrids during the time I owned them.

Last edited by ~The_Duke~; 08-13-2013 at 01:49 PM.
~The_Duke~ is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
dburgoon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310366
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Vehicle:
03 vf37'd WRB
Bugeye

Default

Ive seriously been considering going out and getting a loan for a daily as my wrx has become a racecar and is no longer comfortable! As much as I love Subaru I have seriously considered going out and testing one of the ST's. This review was great, pretty much answered all the questions I have on the car. Curious how the torque steer is though?
dburgoon is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
HAL1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 58926
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix, AZ - Chandler
Vehicle:
2013 WRX 5dr ISM
2011 Infiniti EX35

Default

And the Ford will be a great buy when they start discounting them soon and the values drop, assuming you never need to sell a used one, haha. Wrx = near 50 percent value in 8-9 years
HAL1 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #21
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

what did they give you for the wrx on the trade in?
BigRob74 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

Nice purchase. I really like the Focus and Fiesta ST's. Considered one myself, but decided to hold out and see if Ford brings back the RS, and actually sells it in the US.
GrumpyPitbull is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #23
suby2low
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 82633
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Claremont, nh
Vehicle:
'08 WRX STI
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~The_Duke~ View Post

I've owned 4 fords. Getting ready to get rid of the last one and its $300 PZEV approved air filter that requires a special screw driver bit (star key with a hollow bit in the middle) to remove. That bit cant be bought at home depot, advanced auto, autozone, orielly, or any of the other local stores. DEALER only tool.

Although not incredibly common, that is by no means a "dealer only tool". It is called a safety torx.
suby2low is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
Vinnie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 7869
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MPLS, MN
Vehicle:
2011 STi
TheUrbanRallyProject.com

Default

I hate saying it but I dont think I can get into an American Car again. Other than the Corvette, there really isnt a US car that makes me want to say "I want to buy that".

The foreign cars that are coming out are incredible. Before my STi, I had an Audi Q5. Man, what a great car. If I didnt have 3 other WRX's before that and have turbo on the brain I would have been more than happy in that Audi

It seems like the US companies are only worried about MPG and fuel efficiency and completely forgetting to put an engine more powerful than a lawnmower under the hood

Gas prices never really bothered me, if I was worried about how much a gallon of gas was then I wouldnt be in an STi. I love the power and the modification options these cars offer.

I never had that feeling in the American cars I had
Vinnie is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburgoon View Post
Ive seriously been considering going out and getting a loan for a daily as my wrx has become a racecar and is no longer comfortable! As much as I love Subaru I have seriously considered going out and testing one of the ST's. This review was great, pretty much answered all the questions I have on the car. Curious how the torque steer is though?
Demod. Way cheaper than buying a new car.
Jack is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.