Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 20, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 286646
2002 wrx

Default wrx 5speed exploded, needs new trans. good time for 6speed swap? need advice!!

To get right to the point: 3rd gear in my old 5-speed trans was making noise, then it suddenly got worse and all gears starting doing it. now i can hear ticking from the trans even at idle (and forget about trying to drive). so that transmission's shot and now i would like to just do the upgrage and install a 6-speed as they are notoriously "bullet proof".

I live in Maryland and a person in our neighboring state Virginia is able to sell me a jdm version 8 trans + rear + extras from an EJ207 for about $3000. He says he will also include the spindles and hubs for $200 extra. Is that a good price for the parts? Here's a picture of what I would receive (+ hubs..).

And this is my 02 WRX:

I really need to try to get it back on the road as quickly as possible! so I appreciate any help in determining if I am forgetting anything or if any of those parts are not compatible/overpriced! thanks!!!

Last edited by 1pixel_tv; 11-06-2015 at 06:40 PM.
1pixel_tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 432130
2002 JDM STI

3k for everything is about right. Make sure they send you a picture of the tranny code so you know what you are getting
This chart is a useful reference

I'm in the middle of doing this myself BEFORE my glassbox explodes, i've been very lucky and have 242k on mine.
Archane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 434118

did you ever get that fixed?
Mines starting to be shifty in 3rd and the gear box is all lose, i might have to do the same thing, how much did it come out to price wise>
branden112 is offline   Reply With Quote