Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #151
Full-Race Geoff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133386
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: AZ/NJ
Vehicle:
13 F150
ecoboost

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
now I know exactly what I will be replacing it with. As a mechanical engineer, the development and design of this turbo really interests me. I hope these will be available soon. Any idea what injectors would be recommended?
They are available now - the 6258s are in stock and 6758s are coming in consistently. Deatschworks 1000cc or ID1000s is the recommended injector, and you can pair it with the DW fuel pump or a walbro 400lph works great for gasoline (walbro 416 if E85 is used)


Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
seeing these numbers I am really between this and the FR 1.5 GT3071R scroll kit. The only reason I am leaning towards the 1.5 kit is because it keeps my existing TBE as Phatron has already pointed out. This is exactly in my realm for my goals with the car. I want a fun daily that keeps the pep I have with the TD04, and I also love the twin scroll like the Evo 9's are set up with.

Question for Geoff: Will you guys offer an option for going EWG? If so, what about an option to re-route the plumbing back to the exhaust
Hello Boostinchick, The 1.5scroll kits are popular for the reasons you mentioned. Simple bolt on, allows you to keep TBE and existing turbo etc. However it can not perform at the same level as the EFR turbo (even on stock lower manifold). If you are a 2.5L considering GT3071R, the 6758 would be my recommendation. Conversely if you are a 2.0L the 6258 is suggested

With our EFR stock location you still retain the CBE, just need to change out your stock style DP, or get it modified to fit the EFR. The EFR turbos are simply too long to use the stock subaru config DP flanges.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal2None View Post
I think he means for the amount of $$$ and work you would put in to get a 600HP Subbie, you would have 1000HP on the EVO. (He's not saying that a 600HP subaru is as fast as a 1000hp evo, unless the evo was towing a yacht)

The fact that the evo can make 4-digit HP #s more easily is only good for forum bragging rights.. I believe the target HP for a awesome street and occasional track car is ~500whp, and thats the same for evo or sti. I Daily-D a fully built evo on slicks (built motor/trans/diffs/driveline/brakes etc). My responsive 500whp evo will smoke most any 700 or 800hp evo in all instances except full-on drag racing. I can use any turbo from any mfg to build the powerband I want, but I believe anything more than 500whp is a waste of time if the car will truly be used and driven on the street
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Full-Race Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #152
Jdub.csu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283784
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
White

Default

What is the rough price since your website doesn't list it
Jdub.csu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #153
onefasazn
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45574
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: PM me if you want to know how
Vehicle:
to make your car
pass smog.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff View Post
Conversely if you are a 2.0L the 6258 is suggested
What kind of numbers are attainable with the 6258 on an EJ20? I am at the fork in the road in regards to my car and can go the stock bolt-on route, or the FR/BW 6258 bolt-on route. I'm guessing the usual supporting mods are recommended for this turbo on a 2.0 as well. Looking at a Bosch 040, ID1000, possibly fuel rails, 3" hard inlet, etc.
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #154
Type2
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 200436
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lawrence, KS
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub.csu View Post
What is the rough price since your website doesn't list it
Borg Warner EFR 6758 Turbo (275-450 HP)
Starting at: $1,461.54 (twin scroll $200 more)
https://www.himni-racing.com/turboch...rbo-275-450-hp

Turbine Specs
* Turbine Wheel OD: 58mm
* Available Housing Option #1: T25 Inlet, 3" (92mm OD) V-band downpipe discharge, .64 A/R, w/ Internal Wastegate
* Available Housing Option #2: T4 Divided / Twin scroll Inlet, 3" (92mm OD) V-band downpipe discharge, .92 A/R w/ Internal Wastegate

Borg Warner EFR 6258 Turbo (225-400 HP)
Starting at: $1,461.54
https://www.himni-racing.com/turboch...3qk1amub8sqck1

Turbine Specs
* Turbine Wheel OD: 58mm
* Available Housing Option #1: T25 Inlet, 3" (92mm OD) V-band downpipe discharge, .64 A/R, w/ Internal Wastegate
* Available Housing Option #2: T4 Divided / Twin scroll Inlet, 3" (92mm OD) V-band downpipe discharge, .92 A/R w/ Internal Wastegate

Not sure why the prices are listed the same.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #155
BoostinChick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 218971
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Chester, PA
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
Hello Boostinchick, The 1.5scroll kits are popular for the reasons you mentioned. Simple bolt on, allows you to keep TBE and existing turbo etc. However it can not perform at the same level as the EFR turbo (even on stock lower manifold). If you are a 2.5L considering GT3071R, the 6758 would be my recommendation. Conversely if you are a 2.0L the 6258 is suggested

With our EFR stock location you still retain the CBE, just need to change out your stock style DP, or get it modified to fit the EFR. The EFR turbos are simply too long to use the stock subaru config DP flanges.
Thanks for the info, Geoff! Definitely gives me a few options to consider for my 2.5L. I will be in talks with F.A.S.T of WC to help me determine which way I sway.
BoostinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #156
Concillian
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4414
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dublin, CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefasazn View Post
What kind of numbers are attainable with the 6258 on an EJ20? I am at the fork in the road in regards to my car and can go the stock bolt-on route, or the FR/BW 6258 bolt-on route. I'm guessing the usual supporting mods are recommended for this turbo on a 2.0 as well. Looking at a Bosch 040, ID1000, possibly fuel rails, 3" hard inlet, etc.
6258 compressor map tops at 44 lb/min, this is enough to supply the 2.0L engine with air at 7000 RPM at ~23 psi counting some intercooler losses.

Theoretically a 44lb/min turbo would be capable of ~440 HP crank on good octane. But low efficiencies at that flow level on that turbo coupled with less than ideal EJ205 stock cams... I'd probably put that more around 400-420, then take out driveline and you're somewhere around 350ish WHP on good fuel on a conservative dyno, closer to 400 on an optimistic dyno.

Given what we've seen from the 7163, I would expect that power level would spool about like a small 16G or so. Probably ~3500 RPM give or take.

6758 is probably capable of only slightly more on an EJ205. at 23 psi, you're pretty close if not already over what the rods can handle reliably. You'd net some efficiency gain, but lose some response.

These are all just educated guesses / estimations. Don't hold me to the numbers. I tend to guess a little conservative though, I'd rather be surprised by more than disappointed by less.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #157
Concillian
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4414
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dublin, CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type2 View Post
[information about prices of just the turbo]
I think he was talking about pricing of the Full Race kit, not just the turbo alone.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #158
Jdub.csu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283784
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concillian

I think he was talking about pricing of the Full Race kit, not just the turbo alone.
Correct
Jdub.csu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #159
onefasazn
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45574
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: PM me if you want to know how
Vehicle:
to make your car
pass smog.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concillian View Post
6258 compressor map tops at 44 lb/min, this is enough to supply the 2.0L engine with air at 7000 RPM at ~23 psi counting some intercooler losses.

Theoretically a 44lb/min turbo would be capable of ~440 HP crank on good octane. But low efficiencies at that flow level on that turbo coupled with less than ideal EJ205 stock cams... I'd probably put that more around 400-420, then take out driveline and you're somewhere around 350ish WHP on good fuel on a conservative dyno, closer to 400 on an optimistic dyno.

Given what we've seen from the 7163, I would expect that power level would spool about like a small 16G or so. Probably ~3500 RPM give or take.

6758 is probably capable of only slightly more on an EJ205. at 23 psi, you're pretty close if not already over what the rods can handle reliably. You'd net some efficiency gain, but lose some response.

These are all just educated guesses / estimations. Don't hold me to the numbers. I tend to guess a little conservative though, I'd rather be surprised by more than disappointed by less.
That about sounds on par with what I was thinking. We'll see I guess.
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #160
Type2
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 200436
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lawrence, KS
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub.csu

Correct
Their website says to call for prices. Did you call them and they refused to give you a price for the whole kit?
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #161
Jdub.csu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283784
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type2

Their website says to call for prices. Did you call them and they refused to give you a price for the whole kit?
No when I had last looked they didn't have it up on the site yet
Jdub.csu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #162
jutes85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127232
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Suck Lake, Alberta
Vehicle:
E92 M3
98' Foz

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff View Post
6758s are coming in consistently.
Any rough timeline on when/if a bolt-in 6758 FR kit will be available?
jutes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #163
FASTofwestchester
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 292964
Join Date: Aug 2011
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy RHD TT
White

Default

I have pricing ready to go.


PM me if interested.


Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by FASTofwestchester; 09-19-2012 at 09:42 PM.
FASTofwestchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #164
my99210kw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180429
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
99 WRX
Dark green

Default

In process of fitting EZ30r into GC8, which EFR turbo would you recommend for twin turbo set up to achieve 600+ HP atw?

Cheers,
Tony
my99210kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #165
Full-Race Geoff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133386
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: AZ/NJ
Vehicle:
13 F150
ecoboost

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concillian View Post
6258 compressor map tops at 44 lb/min, this is enough to supply the 2.0L engine with air at 7000 RPM at ~23 psi counting some intercooler losses. Theoretically a 44lb/min turbo would be capable of ~440 HP crank on good octane. But low efficiencies at that flow level on that turbo coupled with less than ideal EJ205 stock cams... I'd probably put that more around 400-420, then take out driveline and you're somewhere around 350ish WHP on good fuel on a conservative dyno, closer to 400 on an optimistic dyno. Given what we've seen from the 7163, I would expect that power level would spool about like a small 16G or so. Probably ~3500 RPM give or take. 6758 is probably capable of only slightly more on an EJ205. at 23 psi, you're pretty close if not already over what the rods can handle reliably. You'd net some efficiency gain, but lose some response.
Thanks for posting, that is a well written assessment. Take a look at BorgWarner's MatchBot App using EJ20, 2.0L displacement, revving to 7000rpm, @ 21psi boost to reach your 420hp/350tq target (crank not wheels) agree, it is not wise to push the stock ej20 beyond this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutes85 View Post
Any rough timeline on when/if a bolt-in 6758 FR kit will be available?
most Full-Race turbokits take ~3-4 weeks to ship after ordering, this is accurate for all singlescroll EFR turbokits at this time. we have 6258s in stock, more 6758s arrive next week (we just sold out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTofwestchester View Post
I have pricing ready to go. PM me if interested.
we're excited for you to test yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my99210kw View Post
In process of fitting EZ30r into GC8, which EFR turbo would you recommend for twin turbo set up to achieve 600+ HP atw?
For a 3L displacement engine, the 8374 works well for up to 600HP, here is a matchbot that shows 667HP and 590tq @ 25psi.

I actually have this 8374 internal-WG turbo on my 2.0L daily driver @25psi and love it
Full-Race Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #166
my99210kw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180429
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
99 WRX
Dark green

Default

For a 3L displacement engine, the 8374 works well for up to 600HP, here is a matchbot that shows 667HP and 590tq @ 25psi.

I actually have this 8374 internal-WG turbo on my 2.0L daily driver @25psi and love it[/quote]

Thanks for that but what about twin turbo configuration?
my99210kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #167
Full-Race Geoff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133386
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: AZ/NJ
Vehicle:
13 F150
ecoboost

Default

OOPS Twin turbo! thats a simple call - EFR 6258 x2 (sorry - brain fart, i read twinscroll)

for a twin turbo, i prefer twin 6258s to twin 6758s
Full-Race Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #168
my99210kw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180429
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
99 WRX
Dark green

Default

Sorry for the next question Geoff but in the earlier days of this turbo line there were apparent reliability issues have these concerns been cleared up?
Thank you again for your help.

Cheers,
Tony
my99210kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #169
jutes85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127232
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Suck Lake, Alberta
Vehicle:
E92 M3
98' Foz

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff View Post
most Full-Race turbokits take ~3-4 weeks to ship after ordering, this is accurate for all singlescroll EFR turbokits at this time.
Is this kit available on your site? I can't seem to find it.
jutes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #170
Full-Race Geoff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133386
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: AZ/NJ
Vehicle:
13 F150
ecoboost

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by my99210kw View Post
Sorry for the next question Geoff but in the earlier days of this turbo line there were apparent reliability issues have these concerns been cleared up? Thank you again for your help
yes, one of borgwarner's suppliers messed up on an early batch of 6258s, all were replaced under warranty and the rest of the EFRs have been solid.

Anyone who is a fan of Indycar Racing - there were zero EFR turbo failures during the IRL season. The teams all use EFR6758 x2 or EFR9180 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutes85 View Post
Is this kit available on your site? I can't seem to find it.
our "webguy" evan has been busy updating multiple new EFR kits, his deadline is oct30 (1st day of SEMA)- there will be many updates over the next few weeks
Full-Race Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #171
my99210kw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180429
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
99 WRX
Dark green

Default

I like the fact that I can have waste gate and BOV all in one package. Bit more simple than my current EWG and seperate BOV that is not plumbed back due to plumbing issues(front mount GT35R). Hope the twin 6258's delivers on my high expectations with the
EZ30.

Thanks for the advice.
my99210kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #172
oh1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 142708
Join Date: Mar 2007
Default

I've had an eye on this kit for a while and prices are finally listed on the website. Hope to see some installs and results!
oh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #173
BoostinChick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 218971
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Chester, PA
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

I see it on their site now as well. Does the BPV/BOV block off plate not come with? I didn't see it in the kit picture. Also, I see that the downpipe has a hi-flow cat? Will that cause issues for those that will run primarily 93 octane, but occasionally E85?

Last edited by BoostinChick; 09-30-2012 at 09:08 PM.
BoostinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #174
3mlwhly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 217648
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NOR CAL
Vehicle:
01 2.5rs

Default

so sick.. ive wanted a setup like this for a while now...

but im poor :-(
3mlwhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #175
Phatron
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 36033
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Tuning Lab
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

Default

My buddy just tried to smog his car with a high flow cat and failed. Might as well just go catless.
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.