Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday May 23, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
cianuro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235475
Chapter/Region: PRSIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Silver

Default Valet mode or rev limit on my current map?

I've been doing some googling about using the valet mode in certain situations. From what I've read, if you're not stock, the fueling on valet mode can damage your engine if you're running stage 2, a different turbo, etc.. Basically, every question I found about this had the answer of "don't do it, you might blow your engine", therefore pulling me away from choosing that.

I'll be taking my car for alignment shortly, and I know that the mechanic at the place I'll go to will drive the car to "test" if the alignment was done correctly. I like the warranty they have, and it's the place where I've gotten the best alignment results from, which is why I'm inclined to go there. At the same time, I know the mechanic that will align my car, and I know he's the one that will drive it. He owns a 2010 Lancer Ralliart, with the "Brembo covers", and I've seen him drive by as he lives nearby. Now, all the previous cars I took there weren't turbo. Judging by the way he drives (like he doesn't give a rat's a**) I'm assuming he won't care about other people's cars, let alone mine. The car dissapears for about a minute or so while they're testing them, so knowing he has a heavy foot, my car might tempt him into doing something inappropiate.

So, my question... I was thinking that, instead of using the valet mode, I should just limit the rpm on my current map, i.e. make a copy of the map, name it ".1.1" or whatever, and just set the rev limit at 3K. Is this possible? Will this work? Am I risking my engine by doing this?

I'm assuming there will be an abrupt cut off. Since map tables run on rpm and load, I'm guessing controllers will not go past the rpm I set, i.e. not reaching or continuing to search for boost, cut timing, wgdc stopping at a certain point, etc.. Am I assuming correct?

I mean, I know I could just tell them not to drive it, but they might tell me that they need to for "warranty" or whatever... I could just ask to be in the car, or any kind of similar requests... I know this... I just want to know if I can have the rev limit option as well...

Any thoughts?
cianuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

You can easily create you own valet map by doing that exact process. The engine will not continue past the lower rev limiter, just like when you hit the normal rev limiter. In the rev limit table you will see two cells. The cell on the left is what RPM it cuts at. The cell on the right is the RPM where it re-engages.

The only complication I can think of is if you have a custom map done by a professional tuning shop. If that's the case, the map may be vendor locked and you wouldn't be able to open it in AccessTUNER Race. You would need to contact the tuning shop and either ask them if they will unlock the map for you or ask them to make the valet map for you.

Chris
COBB Tuning
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
cianuro
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
You can easily create you own valet map by doing that exact process. The engine will not continue past the lower rev limiter, just like when you hit the normal rev limiter. In the rev limit table you will see two cells. The cell on the left is what RPM it cuts at. The cell on the right is the RPM where it re-engages.

The only complication I can think of is if you have a custom map done by a professional tuning shop. If that's the case, the map may be vendor locked and you wouldn't be able to open it in AccessTUNER Race. You would need to contact the tuning shop and either ask them if they will unlock the map for you or ask them to make the valet map for you.

Chris
COBB Tuning
I have a torqued performance stage 2.52 map, but I can make changes to it without the need of having the vendor modifying it for me. I tweaked maf, timing and rev limit when I got it, and Eric from TP verified logs and tweaked whatever was needed after my tweaks.

I know I can modify the rev limiter and flash the map, but my concern is that I don't know what or if I need to modify anything else within that map after setting the rev limit to 3K rpm.

From what you're saying, I'm assuming I can just open the map in real time, set the rpm to 3K, then take the car in for alignment. Once they're done, I could either unplug the battery and the original map will be back with my current rev limit, or just plug the AP and flash the original map as it was before I tweaked the rev limit. Am I assuming correct?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Nothing else would need to be modified other than the rev limit to make a valet map. You could also zero out the wastegate duty cycle tables so the car will run low boost. Although you're not going to get into too much boost if the car is limited at 3000RPM anyway.

Yes, you could do it that way, but if you reset the ECU or reflash the car you will lose all learning the car has done. Which isn't a huge deal, but another way to do it without resetting all of the learned tables would be to connect your laptop after the alignment and put the rev limit cells back to whatever they were set at before.

Chris
COBB Tuning
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
cianuro
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Nothing else would need to be modified other than the rev limit to make a valet map. You could also zero out the wastegate duty cycle tables so the car will run low boost. Although you're not going to get into too much boost if the car is limited at 3000RPM anyway.

Yes, you could do it that way, but if you reset the ECU or reflash the car you will lose all learning the car has done. Which isn't a huge deal, but another way to do it without resetting all of the learned tables would be to connect your laptop after the alignment and put the rev limit cells back to whatever they were set at before.

Chris
COBB Tuning
Ok. Thanks for the input. It's exactly what I wanted to know.