Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #2501
Sirricealot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189762
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
QSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9579 View Post
How 'bout that. I do have to adjust my monitor. Gracias.
2nd photo looks great, nice atmosphere.


Snake eyes by Evoked Photography, on Flickr
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Sirricealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #2502
Dcasta9
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339589
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Pleasanton CA
Default

All this Photography inspires me to get a nice camera.
Dcasta9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #2503
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
And would anyone know that one is a $200 lens and one is a $6,000 lens?

At web size, NOPE. In print, maybe.

I actually prefer the framing, subject matter, and panning in the two Porsche shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
This is true for a lot of our gear. People keep forgetting that nowadays, even entry level equipment is capable of great images.
Are you saying I shouldn't upgrade my lens? I understand the point you are making but everyone says upgrade to good glass before anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
Oh yea, I have the 70-200 f4 non IS and the pictures are awesome. The IS will help keep it steady on some of the longer focal length shots.
Shots look great. The profile shot is not centered and it's bothering me. I can't wait to get the lens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcasta9 View Post
All this Photography inspires me to get a nice camera.
Be careful, it turns into an addiction.
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #2504
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139955
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Development Car

Default

Were not saying that at all. What were saying is buy the best glass you can afford, but don't feel like equipment is limiting you work regardless of what you have. This applies to everyone not just you
vision.dynamix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #2505
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

I got you. I think the constant aperture is going to be nice, along with the improved IS (which also has a panning mode). I've done a ton of research and have read hundreds of reviews. I think this lens is going to suit me nicely. I really wanted to get a 7D but I will do that after I buy a couple more lens'
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #2506
Red.
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325458
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Stafford
Default

speaking of equipment and gear . . . .

my light kit arrived yesterday!

now to figure out how to use it . . . .
Red. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #2507
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

INKMAN - No, the new lens will still be great. It's a big step up in many ways, but don't expect it to magically make your photos better. In the case of that panning shot, it will probably look pretty much identical, except you'll have less zoom range to work with. You may get more keepers with the new lens's IS system, but the 55-250 has pretty decent IS anyways. IMO there are two situations where the new lens will blow away the old one. First is when you need a larger aperture (ie. low light) and second is where you need fast AF (this will be a huge difference, more like the 85mm). The build quality/durability is also much better.

Red. - What kit?
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #2508
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

I'm assuming image quality with be better on the long end as well?
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #2509
rsutton1223
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280744
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 417whp
AMG Magno Alanite Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKMAN View Post
I'm assuming image quality with be better on the long end as well?
If you are going to print...and then you would really have to look for it. It won't make much of a difference in all of this "hey look at my image on the internet in low resolution and compressed all to hell". What xluben said about the benefits is dead on plus one thing...weather sealing for shooting in less than ideal situations.
rsutton1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #2510
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR XRace/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red. View Post
speaking of equipment and gear . . . .

my light kit arrived yesterday!

now to figure out how to use it . . . .
Of what flavor?
sackytar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #2511
Red.
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325458
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Stafford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post

Red. - What kit?
A 4 light set (plus assorted modifiers) of Einsteins. So, basically I have more light than I know what to do with. All the controls are digital and I am very much a turn a knob, flick a switch kind of person, rather than a push a button, scroll through a menu, push more buttons, etc. So, there's a bit of an extra aspect to the learning curve.

It is definitely a different method of lighting subjects, judging by a few test shots I took of my daughter. They're ok photos, properly exposed and whatnot, but there's nothing compelling about them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post


What is this sitting on? A piece of plastic, glass, photoshop effect? Just wondering - it looks nice and isn't in the other wheel photos. I've got stacks of wheels hanging around, none of them pretty enough for this kind of photo though.
Red. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #2512
Sirricealot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189762
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
QSM

Default

Figures it's nice and warm out but crazy windy.

Smoke show by Evoked Photography, on Flickr
Sirricealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #2513
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
If you are going to print...and then you would really have to look for it. It won't make much of a difference in all of this "hey look at my image on the internet in low resolution and compressed all to hell". What xluben said about the benefits is dead on plus one thing...weather sealing for shooting in less than ideal situations.
Well I would like to get some of my work blown up eventually so that will help. I noticed a huge difference in sharpness when going from my kit lens to my 85mm f/1.8, especially when cropping an image. Here's an example that I have a heavily cropped image. The 85mm is super sharp.


Last edited by INKMAN; 01-31-2013 at 10:10 AM.
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #2514
Red.
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325458
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Stafford
Default

wow, that butterfly has seen better days.
Red. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #2515
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

That's funny, almost everyone who has seen the few that I have of it have said that.
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #2516
rsutton1223
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280744
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 417whp
AMG Magno Alanite Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKMAN View Post

Well I would like to get some of my work blown up eventually so that will help. I noticed a huge difference in sharpness when going from my kit lens to my 85mm f/1.8, especially when cropping an image. Here's an example that I have a heavily cropped image. The 85mm is super sharp.
Prime vs zoom lens is a different argument in terms of sharpness. Primes will always be sharper. A $100 50/1.8 will be sharper than a 6k zoom lens.
rsutton1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #2517
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

Now I'm second guessing getting this lens. I absolutely know it's not going to make my images instantly better but I was hoping it would give me a slight advantage. Now I'm on the fence.
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #2518
Ultimateone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48025
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: By the Ocean, MA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Ice Silver Mettalic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C View Post



awesome shot
Ultimateone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #2519
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139955
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Development Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red. View Post

What is this sitting on? A piece of plastic, glass, photoshop effect? Just wondering - it looks nice and isn't in the other wheel photos. I've got stacks of wheels hanging around, none of them pretty enough for this kind of photo though.
Usually when I do that I either use lexan. Sometimes I use a mirror.


24-105L by Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com, on Flickr

(Can you guess what the backdrop for that photo was?)
vision.dynamix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #2520
BrendanTheGreat408
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271207
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
Were not saying that at all. What were saying is buy the best glass you can afford, but don't feel like equipment is limiting you work regardless of what you have. This applies to everyone not just you
He does make a very good point, it took me awhile to get my first L level low aperture lens but I felt like I was limited having F4. As soon as I got my hands on the 50 1.4 and 85 1.2 I felt like a new door was opened and I was able to advance in my hobby. L glass is very expensive and in my opinion worth every dollar because some lens do greatly improve your photographs.
BrendanTheGreat408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #2521
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red. View Post
A 4 light set (plus assorted modifiers) of Einsteins. So, basically I have more light than I know what to do with. All the controls are digital and I am very much a turn a knob, flick a switch kind of person, rather than a push a button, scroll through a menu, push more buttons, etc. So, there's a bit of an extra aspect to the learning curve.

It is definitely a different method of lighting subjects, judging by a few test shots I took of my daughter. They're ok photos, properly exposed and whatnot, but there's nothing compelling about them.
That should be a great setup! I really love the strobes I have. They're really great for studio work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red. View Post
What is this sitting on? A piece of plastic, glass, photoshop effect? Just wondering - it looks nice and isn't in the other wheel photos. I've got stacks of wheels hanging around, none of them pretty enough for this kind of photo though.
It is a black background with a piece of plexiglass under it. I like the look for certain colors, but there is much more post processing to clean it up (vs. a normal white background).

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKMAN View Post
Well I would like to get some of my work blown up eventually so that will help. I noticed a huge difference in sharpness when going from my kit lens to my 85mm f/1.8, especially when cropping an image. Here's an example that I have a heavily cropped image. The 85mm is super sharp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
Prime vs zoom lens is a different argument in terms of sharpness. Primes will always be sharper. A $100 50/1.8 will be sharper than a 6k zoom lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INKMAN View Post
Now I'm second guessing getting this lens. I absolutely know it's not going to make my images instantly better but I was hoping it would give me a slight advantage. Now I'm on the fence.
Yeah, prime vs. zoom and also what aperture you're shooting at. A lot of the really fast primes are actually quite soft wide open. Most decent lenses will provide more than enough image quality if you're stopped down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat408 View Post
He does make a very good point, it took me awhile to get my first L level low aperture lens but I felt like I was limited having F4. As soon as I got my hands on the 50 1.4 and 85 1.2 I felt like a new door was opened and I was able to advance in my hobby. L glass is very expensive and in my opinion worth every dollar because some lens do greatly improve your photographs.
This is it. The lenses aren't necessarily going to be worlds sharper (you absolutely will not notice the difference in sharpness at web size), but they will allow you to get shots that you could never get with a cheaper lens (that may mean darker situations, much blurrier backgrounds, faster AF, etc).

If you're really looking for a different "look" to the images then you'll probably need a fast prime (50 1.4 or 1.2, 85 1.2, 135 f/2, 200 f/2.8, 300 f/2.8, etc). If you just want a lens that will get you more keepers in a wider variety of situations, then the 70-200 f/4 will work great. It's an awesome lens because it is so useful in so many situations.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #2522
Jay C
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318234
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island New York
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
awesome shot
Thanks, I really need to photoshop that guy out It's been pulling my eye away from the car.
Jay C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #2523
Jay C
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318234
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island New York
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKMAN View Post
Now I'm second guessing getting this lens. I absolutely know it's not going to make my images instantly better but I was hoping it would give me a slight advantage. Now I'm on the fence.
It depends on what you want to shoot, a lot of times when I use my 70-200 I shoot it at like 70ish so if your already using your 85 1.8, this might be a little repetitive plus your losing some DOF and the sharpness of the 85. If your looking for a lens that your going to be shooting motosports where you need to be zooming in and out it might be worth it. I personally sold my 55-250 for my 70-200 and love it. I like being able to zoom in with a constant aperture. Have you looked at the 24-70 2.8? My dad just picked it up, I wanna taken it to a meet one day, it seems like a good focal length to have when shooting multiple cars plus the dof of 2.8. He got version 1 refurbished directly from canon for like 900 bucks right after black Friday , thought it was a pretty good deal.

Last edited by Jay C; 01-31-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Jay C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #2524
XERO287
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR Premium
OBP

Default

If anyone is interested I'm selling my t1i with a 28-90, 18-55 is, and 55-250.

The camera has around 8k clicks.
XERO287 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #2525
XERO287
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR Premium
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C View Post

It depends on what you want to shoot, a lot of times when I use my 70-200 I shoot it at like 70ish so if your already using your 85 1.8, this might be a little repetitive plus your losing some DOF and the sharpness of the 85. If your looking for a lens that your going to be shooting motosports where you need to be zooming in and out it might be worth it. I personally sold my 55-250 for my 70-200 and love it. I like being able to zoom in with a constant aperture. Have you looked at the 24-70 2.8? My dad just picked it up, I wanna taken it to a meet one day, it seems like a good focal length to have when shooting multiple cars plus the dof of 2.8. He got version 1 refurbished directly from canon for like 900 bucks right after black Friday , thought it was a pretty good deal.
I love my 24-70 with a passion.
XERO287 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.