Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #251
AKGC8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1305
Join Date: Apr 2000
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2cpc View Post
I thought Toyota paid for the R&D on the BRZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otobot View Post
And they are still paying Subaru for the FRS, so if anything Subaru has made gains with the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinberg007 View Post
Money well spent, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2cpc View Post
Oh, I realize that. I was trying to point out that Subaru should have money to put into the next WRX R&D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4US View Post
Not IMO.
Seriuosly guys, you need to take posts in context. Yeah, I really think the next WRX will come equipped with a duct taped hood scoop due to the BRZ development. Hint, delongedoug and I were both joking(I hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
News & Rumors really needs an entrance exam.


It's a mule, sparky.
Look at it! No way I'm buying that thing. Never buying another Subaru again.
What do you expect with all their R&D $$$ blown on the BRZ.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AKGC8 is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #252
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, because
faster than v6 camry

Default

Missed that. WRX4U shows that there are people here that think that, though.

I 100% plan on having a BRZ or FR-S in my garage next year. The rest of the Subaru line brings nothing to the table for me.
quentinberg007 is online now  
Old 09-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #253
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4US View Post
Not IMO.

Pretty much the most anticipated, talked about, and in demand car Subaru has EVER had. Nah. Not money well spent.


Hopefully the new WRX/STI will be above the BRZ in that respect.
JustyWRC is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #254
fredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317270
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
15 WRX, WRB 6MT
14 CX-5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Hopefully the new WRX/STI will be above the BRZ in that respect.
Hopefully NOT! In a way. I don't want to deal with markups

What kind of markups did newly released WRX's command in the past in average markets? As in not NY, CA, TX or FL.
fredzy is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #255
spaceywilly
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174268
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Providence
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Hopefully NOT! In a way. I don't want to deal with markups

What kind of markups did newly released WRX's command in the past in average markets? As in not NY, CA, TX or FL.
What markups... I bought the second one at my dealer and paid $250 below MSRP. Now it's only been 2 months and there's plenty sitting on lots, you could probably get a decent deal on one.
spaceywilly is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #256
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Hopefully NOT! In a way. I don't want to deal with markups

What kind of markups did newly released WRX's command in the past in average markets? As in not NY, CA, TX or FL.

We don't mark them up at our dealership. We don't mark up on BRZs for that matter, either. MSRP though. Nothing more, nothing less.
JustyWRC is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #257
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
9&11 WRX 5Dr
DGM/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Pretty much the most anticipated, talked about, and in demand car Subaru has EVER had. Nah. Not money well spent.


Hopefully the new WRX/STI will be above the BRZ in that respect.
Marketing and hype...marketing and hype. If they bring out a new 3 door with AWD and 275hp that can run circles around the BRZ and it is marketed properly, then yea, it will sell like the BRZ.
a2cpc is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #258
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
4 Train - Subway
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eby View Post
What do you expect with all their R&D $$$ blown on the BRZ.
Subaru has said in publications that the $ spent on the BRZ development allowed them to fine tune the new WRX. Without that $ from Toyota they would not be able to allot so much time into sporty cars instead of say, a new Outback, which makes them more money. A lot of the techniques and formulas used in the BRZ will translate to future products. So it was not blown.

Subaru has shown (and been awarded) that they can make a true sports car (BRZ) that even without a lot of power puts a smile on every person who drives it. Hell it just came in 4th vs some of the most powerful and expensive super-cars in a Motor Trend test.

Now take that formula and use it on the WRX and we've got a great product coming.
Snow Drift is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #259
bulldog2277
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 157924
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Valar Morghulis
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
2007 STI & 2013 Crosstrek

Default

I think Subaru learned their lesson with the 08 WRX debacle...
the new WRX and STI should be very impressive...
bulldog2277 is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #260
AKGC8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1305
Join Date: Apr 2000
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
Subaru has said in publications that the $ spent on the BRZ development allowed them to fine tune the new WRX. Without that $ from Toyota they would not be able to allot so much time into sporty cars instead of say, a new Outback, which makes them more money. A lot of the techniques and formulas used in the BRZ will translate to future products. So it was not blown.

Subaru has shown (and been awarded) that they can make a true sports car (BRZ) that even without a lot of power puts a smile on every person who drives it. Hell it just came in 4th vs some of the most powerful and expensive super-cars in a Motor Trend test.

Now take that formula and use it on the WRX and we've got a great product coming.
facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eby View Post
Seriuosly guys, you need to take posts in context. Yeah, I really think the next WRX will come equipped with a duct taped hood scoop due to the BRZ development. Hint, delongedoug and I were both joking(I hope).
AKGC8 is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #261
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

hahaha Eby! A sarcasm font is SORELY needed with you!!!
chanomatik is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #262
WRX_02_227
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12434
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX, 2015 WRX
2011 BMW 135i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2277 View Post
I think Subaru learned their lesson with the 08 WRX debacle...
the new WRX and STI should be very impressive...
Let's hope so!!
WRX_02_227 is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #263
uspopo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317014
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
ISM

Default

Amen cause I may to break down and get one...
uspopo is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #264
Ampliified
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328243
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Warren, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
DGM

Default

I spy a 6MT
Ampliified is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #265
uspopo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317014
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
ISM

Default

I can only dream of paddle shifters like the GTR and EVOs....
uspopo is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #266
liquefied
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 268101
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspopo View Post
I can only dream of paddle shifters like the GTR and EVOs....
Hopefully it stays a dream.. or at least only an option.
liquefied is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #267
uspopo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317014
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquefied View Post
Hopefully it stays a dream.. or at least only an option.
I can live with 'Option'
uspopo is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #268
Otobot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306844
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

I would love paddle shifters, as long as they are mated to a true sequential GB and not some manumatic auto.

I know Subaru has experience with sequential GBs. If Mitsu can do it, Subi can do it better! Lol

Maybe as an STI option.

Last edited by Otobot; 09-02-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Otobot is offline  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #269
uspopo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317014
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
ISM

Default

Agreed, you listening Subaru!?!
uspopo is offline  
Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #270
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otobot View Post
I would love paddle shifters, as long as they are mated to a true sequential GB and not some manumatic auto.

I know Subaru has experience with sequential GBs. If Mitsu can do it, Subi can do it better! Lol

Maybe as an STI option.
On what car?
JustyWRC is offline  
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #271
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2cpc View Post
Marketing and hype...marketing and hype. If they bring out a new 3 door with AWD and 275hp that can run circles around the BRZ and it is marketed properly, then yea, it will sell like the BRZ.

Subaru hasn't really marketed the BRZ, and look at what it is doing. Do you REALLY think the next gen WRX/STI will need any marketing?
JustyWRC is offline  
Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #272
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
9&11 WRX 5Dr
DGM/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Subaru hasn't really marketed the BRZ, and look at what it is doing. Do you REALLY think the next gen WRX/STI will need any marketing?
Really? Granted it was a joint effort probably lead by Toyota but do you really think all those leaks and "spy" shots weren't marketing? All the "this is going to be the best thing since sliced bread" articles that came out a year before anyone drove it isn't marketing? All the "really, it is better than sliced bread press outings on tracks" weren't marketing? Subaru hasn't really advertized, but they(Subaru/Toyota) marketed the hell out of it.

And yes, the new WRX/STI wil need marketing. It has already started. It started at the, if not before, at the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show.


Watch the last couple of minutes
a2cpc is offline  
Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #273
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, because
faster than v6 camry

Default

quentinberg007 is online now  
Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #274
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
9&11 WRX 5Dr
DGM/Silver

Default

FWIW, I got a nice extended, over 100 mile, drive in a BRZ last week outside Napa. It was pretty much what I thought it would be...a Miata like experience, but a little more tail happy. It was much better than the Mustang I had for the rest of the trip in the mountains and would make a decent weekend car. Personally, I wouldn't want it as a primary car, or for that matter a secondary car, as regularly I need more space. As a toy, it would be good, great with a few mods.

quentinberg007, I now think it would have lived up to its marketing and hype with better tires, brakes, and of course, a little more power. Before, I was skeptical, even of that.

Last edited by a2cpc; 09-03-2012 at 01:22 PM.
a2cpc is offline  
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #275
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2cpc View Post
Really? Granted it was a joint effort probably lead by Toyota but do you really think all those leaks and "spy" shots weren't marketing? All the "this is going to be the best thing since sliced bread" articles that came out a year before anyone drove it isn't marketing? All the "really, it is better than sliced bread press outings on tracks" weren't marketing? Subaru hasn't really advertized, but they(Subaru/Toyota) marketed the hell out of it.

And yes, the new WRX/STI wil need marketing. It has already started. It started at the, if not before, at the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show.

Subaru BRZ Concept STI - 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show - 11/16/2011 - YouTube

Watch the last couple of minutes
Oops. Sorry. Got my mind mixed up. Was thinking advertising. Not marketing.
JustyWRC is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.