Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 6, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
waltah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317856
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CNY
Default traction vs. weight pros/cons?

is the added weight of a 9.5" wide wheel/tire combo worth the extra traction at the cost of rotational mass? This is for a summer daily driving setup + track use. Would I be better off staying with 8.5"?

thoughts?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
waltah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Default

Depends on your definition of "worth it" and how you're balancing street vs. track.

A car will be faster on track with wider wheels (assuming said wider wheels are shod with appropriately wider tires).

But on the street the wider setup will cost you gas mileage (both due to greater rolling resistance and aero drag), may lead to more tramlining, may lead to more road noise, etc. Presumably the wider wheels and tires cost more, too.

Pat Olsen
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
krzyss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8365
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus SE
Black

Default

I think benefits of wider rims (and properly sized tires) depend on track. The more turns, the slower track the larger benefit.
On fast track or endurance racing increased unsprung weight, more rotational inertia, greater rolling resistance and aero drag may make the car less responsive and/or slower.

Krzys
krzyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Uncle Scotty
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

a novice driver would be better served with smaller/lighter in any event

i think the OP is operating under the

because racecar

mentality that is S00000ooooooo wrong for so many reasons
Uncle Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
subenerd
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72630
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2004 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Depends on your definition of "worth it" and how you're balancing street vs. track.

A car will be faster on track with wider wheels (assuming said wider wheels are shod with appropriately wider tires).

But on the street the wider setup will cost you gas mileage (both due to greater rolling resistance and aero drag), may lead to more tramlining, may lead to more road noise, etc. Presumably the wider wheels and tires cost more, too.

Pat Olsen
Agree 100%

I can really feel the difference of a couple pounds per wheel. For example going from my stock 04 BBS (17x7.5 and 16lbs) to 18x8 Rotas (20lbs).

Looked good but I went back to the BBS. Feels way better.
subenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
waltah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317856
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CNY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
a novice driver would be better served with smaller/lighter in any event

i think the OP is operating under the

because racecar

mentality that is S00000ooooooo wrong for so many reasons
uncle scotty, take a hike you tool. its not "because racecar". luckily i posted on iwsti as well and got answers instead of smartass dinks that have nothing better to do than make usless posts on an online forum. get over yourself you bum.
waltah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Spenk
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7164
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Arizona Bay
Vehicle:
2000 Miata LS
Evo Orange Mica (1/644)

Default

If you can't find enough traction at Stage 2 with AWD and 8.5"-wide wheels, you're doing something seriously wrong.

Unsprung weight kills performance, period.
Spenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Uncle Scotty
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah View Post
uncle scotty, take a hike you tool. its not "because racecar". luckily i posted on iwsti as well and got answers instead of smartass dinks that have nothing better to do than make usless posts on an online forum. get over yourself you bum.
sorry sweetie....YOU are the bum here....tryin to be all k00 and ****.....tryin to be validated on your NEED to do things that arent really needed but are k00

too much grip is a bad thing sometimes

you almost certainly will get in over your head and crash at a much higher speed than if you had less tire and really actually LEARNED how to drive FIRST.....but

i hope you find out the hard way......serve ya right
Uncle Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
SlowTrackImpreza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262692
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 757 Virginia
Vehicle:
1999 GC ej217 WRB
22b widebody built fp red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
sorry sweetie....YOU are the bum here....tryin to be all k00 and ****.....tryin to be validated on your NEED to do things that arent really needed but are k00

too much grip is a bad thing sometimes

you almost certainly will get in over your head and crash at a much higher speed than if you had less tire and really actually LEARNED how to drive FIRST.....but

i hope you find out the hard way......serve ya right
Ive been racing for about 10 years now, across 8 different chassis and makes. Wider is better as long as you keep the weight near original or less. and you HAVE to have adjustable valve rates if your wheel is heavier so you can adjust for the rebound, compression not so much.

I agree with the OP here, after looking at your stats, you are a total a**hat. The last 20 posts you made had "because racecar" in at least 10 of them as responses to people asking questions. get off your high horse...
there was a time when you didnt know SH**!!! let these people ask thier questions. who cares WHY he wants to do this. Just answer the guy. If you comment on my grammar you're just being pedantic.
SlowTrackImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah View Post
uncle scotty, take a hike you tool. its not "because racecar". luckily i posted on iwsti as well and got answers instead of smartass dinks that have nothing better to do than make usless posts on an online forum. get over yourself you bum.
Don't be such an entitled wimp. You posted a question that's been covered ad nauseum on a public forum. Don't be surprised when you don't get spoon-fed the answer you were looking for. Life goes on...
Badler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
waltah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317856
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CNY
Default

I have a life, I jump on the forums to check stuff out and get quick answers. couldnt care less if I have to repost when I dont find something in a 5 min search. get over it. I'm not here to nut swing, I'm here to get info and boogie.
waltah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah
I have a life, I jump on the forums to check stuff out and get quick answers. couldnt care less if I have to repost when I dont find something in a 5 min search. get over it. I'm not here to nut swing, I'm here to get info and boogie.
Entitled mentality where people should spoon feed you information.

Does mommy still dress you in the morning?

Searching and finding the info is far faster than posting useless **** and waiting hours/days for an appropriate answer.

Your post is SO broad and has so many variables that we can't give an answer as to whats right for YOU. We don't know your driving experience/style!

And wider wheels/tires isn't always the best way to increase overall grip.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Uncle Scotty
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowTrackImpreza View Post
Ive been racing for about 10 years now, across 8 different chassis and makes. Wider is better as long as you keep the weight near original or less. and you HAVE to have adjustable valve rates if your wheel is heavier so you can adjust for the rebound, compression not so much.

I agree with the OP here, after looking at your stats, you are a total a**hat. The last 20 posts you made had "because racecar" in at least 10 of them as responses to people asking questions. get off your high horse...
there was a time when you didnt know SH**!!! let these people ask thier questions. who cares WHY he wants to do this. Just answer the guy. If you comment on my grammar you're just being pedantic.
but these entitled little brats are know nothing...dont wanna know nothing little pissants who just wannabe k00

because racecar


and i just point that out....and then hilarity ensues

i really hope the op clips an apex and slides straight off and rolls it first day out.....prove my point
Uncle Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
waltah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317856
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CNY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
but these entitled little brats are know nothing...dont wanna know nothing little pissants who just wannabe k00

because racecar


and i just point that out....and then hilarity ensues

i really hope the op clips an apex and slides straight off and rolls it first day out.....prove my point
I'm 26 years old and have achieved and earned more in my life on my own (and by the will/grace of God) than you probably will in your entire life. Hell, I've probably owned a more diverse selection of vehicles than you in the 11 years that I've been driving. Because I dont sit online all day.

No one finds you funny, they are just annoyed but yet feel sorry for you. Get out and see the world instead of sitting online all day feeling sorry for yourself and trying to bait people into arguments because you have nothing better to do.

I'm not here to be a racecar driving know it all. I'm here because the STI is a great DD for the CNY region, has 4 doors, its fun, upgradable, and its a safe vehicle for my child to be in. With that said, I'd like to upgrade certain components that will have a positive and balanced effect on the car overall.

Hence, me being curious about what I should be aiming for on a DD that I track occasionally.
waltah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
waltah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317856
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CNY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
Entitled mentality where people should spoon feed you information.

Does mommy still dress you in the morning?

Searching and finding the info is far faster than posting useless **** and waiting hours/days for an appropriate answer.

Your post is SO broad and has so many variables that we can't give an answer as to whats right for YOU. We don't know your driving experience/style!

And wider wheels/tires isn't always the best way to increase overall grip.
I'm not answering the entitlement statement again, you don't know me personally.

I'm looking for a good balance between weight and width that will serve me well on my '11 STI that I use as a daily driver that I drive spiritedly, autox on a regular basis in the warm months, and occasional HPDE at a road course such as limerock/watkins. I'm not steve mcqueening the car trying to win events, just need something that will be an upgrade over the stock enkeis and dunlops that will help get rid of some weight and keep the car planted.

I have a winter setup already so I can go with a more aggressive tire if I land aftermarkets or bbs. The bbs are attractive because they are relatively light and completely affordable 18's. Are there comparable aftermarket wheels at the pricepoint you can find lightly used bbs's with the same weight and size?

is that better?
waltah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
Uncle Scotty
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah View Post
I'm 26 years old and have achieved and earned more in my life on my own (and by the will/grace of God) than you probably will in your entire life. Hell, I've probably owned a more diverse selection of vehicles than you in the 11 years that I've been driving. Because I dont sit online all day.

No one finds you funny, they are just annoyed but yet feel sorry for you. Get out and see the world instead of sitting online all day feeling sorry for yourself and trying to bait people into arguments because you have nothing better to do.

I'm not here to be a racecar driving know it all. I'm here because the STI is a great DD for the CNY region, has 4 doors, its fun, upgradable, and its a safe vehicle for my child to be in. With that said, I'd like to upgrade certain components that will have a positive and balanced effect on the car overall.

Hence, me being curious about what I should be aiming for on a DD that I track occasionally.


oh my gawd.....26 and got the world by the dick

by the time i was 26 i had been around the world once and owned about 10 cars....and wrecked several of those

anyway....i see foolishness and point it out....i see entitlement and i point THAT out too
Uncle Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
waltah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317856
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CNY
Default

speaking of foolishness...good job crashing the handful of cars you had before you were 26, maybe you should stop projecting yourself out in your posts about being a racecar driver and crashing? probably good advice coming from a 26 year old that has his stuff together, keeps his car rubber side down, and doesnt spend 16hrs a day on an online forum

/here to help
waltah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 AM   #18
Uncle Scotty
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah View Post
speaking of foolishness...good job crashing the handful of cars you had before you were 26, maybe you should stop projecting yourself out in your posts about being a racecar driver and crashing? probably good advice coming from a 26 year old that has his stuff together, keeps his car rubber side down, and doesnt spend 16hrs a day on an online forum

/here to help

sweetie.....im at work most of the time when im HERE....sitting in a control room watching the dials and gauges and flashie lights and things so that there isnt a HUGE natural gas explosion or other calamity out here in the oil field

and i learned a great deal crashing cars....maybe if YOU did, YOU would learn things that YOU need to learn to be less of an entitled little boy and more of a man...which i can assure you that you are NOT at the wet behind the balls age of 26

because racecar

w333333333333333333333333333333
Uncle Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
PleiadesSTi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194132
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indiana
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
SSM

Default

I came here for large breasts, but I was sorely disappointed by what I saw in here. Can someone spoon feed me large breasts....
PleiadesSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #20
vicious_fishes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 GD w/EZ30 swap

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah View Post
speaking of foolishness...good job crashing the handful of cars you had before you were 26, maybe you should stop projecting yourself out in your posts about being a racecar driver and crashing? probably good advice coming from a 26 year old that has his stuff together, keeps his car rubber side down, and doesnt spend 16hrs a day on an online forum

/here to help
so you go on an online forum looking for help, and then berate people who are on online forums and help people?


some searching would have given you your answer tenfold. not that you gave anyone on here enough information to give you a definitive answer anyways.

the world doesn't owe you anything. the people here helping you are doing it out of the generosity of their own hearts. if you don't like it, you're free to try the alternatives.

complaining about **** being given to you for free. f**king people.

bottom line: beggars can't be choosers. it's clear you're going to have to learn that the hard way. i'd help you myself but you're such a rude dickhead i'm not going to bother.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #21
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
so you go on an online forum looking for help, and then berate people who are on online forums and help people?
I think your definition of "berate" is a bit off. And I don't see much of anybody in this thread providing any help, anyway.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
waltah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317856
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CNY
Default

The idiocy and simple mindedness that defines this entire cesspool of a community is really quite astounding. Hence using this primarily for the traffic in the classifieds and that's pretty much it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen
I think your definition of "berate" is a bit off. And I don't see much of anybody in this thread providing any help, anyway.
waltah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
krzyss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8365
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus SE
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
I think your definition of "berate" is a bit off. And I don't see much of anybody in this thread providing any help, anyway.
I beg your pardon...!

Krzys
krzyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
DeleriousZ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323869
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, AB
Vehicle:
2000 ST-outback
White/Grey

Default

I ****ing love the internet. This is such great entertainment.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
nelso2sd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326285
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Greenwood Village CO
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

great Road and track vid that popped up here on NASIOC yesterday

http://www.complex.com/rides/2012/08...r-a-scion-fr-s
nelso2sd is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.