Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
p8ntballer789
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297742
Default Fog light kit turns on highbeams NOT fogs..help!!

I have done a ton of research and have found very few similar problems but no answers

I have a 2006 subaru impreza 2.5i and just bought a fog light kit that comes with the new covers, the lights, relay, switch and hardware. I hooked everything up perfectly (checked countless times, looked at various installation manuals on the web etc)

The problem: Turning on the Fog light switch turns on my high beams ONLY. The fog lights do not turn on AT ALL!

I had low beam only HID headlights installed months ago, that is the only thing i can think of causing the issue. The other weird part is the fog light switch turns on the highbeams regardless of the relay being installed or not...

Using a voltmeter, the two connections coming from the bumper don't receive any power at all. I have tested the fog lights they work 100%.

Any idea's would be appreciated. Searching around i have found something called the "bambi mod" and another mod that turned out shorting dashlights. Would love to find a better solution before modding and cutting wires.

Thanks for any input!

I SOLVED THE ISSUE!!! All you have to do is go to Subaru and buy an OEM fog light switch and boom!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by p8ntballer789; 08-30-2012 at 11:02 PM.
p8ntballer789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
whiteimpreza1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259680
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
06 2.5i impreza
Aspen white.

i had this same problem. I went ahead and hard wired the lights to positive battery terminal with a fuse in line, grounded each light to a bolt near it, and a wired to a switch that ran through the drain plug behind the pedals. Now my fogs work. It's annoying but whattya gon do?
whiteimpreza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
p8ntballer789
Scooby Newbie

Doing more and more research and finding a few threads on here with similar issues, i found this reply.

"So I went in to the local dealership and bought both the relay and switch. Everything works now. I think it is the switch. Bought the relay first, $8, still had the problem. They ordered the switch, came in a few days, $30, everything works great now. Comparing the two switches, the one from the cheap ebay kit only has three contacts, and almost no internal wiring. The dealer one has five or six contacts and a substantial bit more internals. It also fits much more snugly."

Thanks for the reply im going to try the dealerships switch and if that fails im doing what you did haha
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
whiteimpreza1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259680
Vehicle:
06 2.5i impreza
Aspen white.

let me know if the dealership parts work!
whiteimpreza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

When you turn the headlamps on, both the low and highbeam relays are active. The column multi-switch is the ground-point to turn the lamps on/off.

The highbeam ground feed goes to the foglamp switch. If the switch is defective / inferior, then it will effectively ground the highbeams, thus turning them on as described.

Fleabay cheapo = fail.

Not such a bargain when you have to go to the dealer and purchase an OEM switch (that works).
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
p8ntballer789
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info!

I got the kit from a friend for $30ish bucks i can't complain haha.

The foglight switch is ordered and should be in on Wednesday
Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
XLR8T
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 266684
Default Fog light switch turns on high beams WITH Low's!

Thanks p8ntballer789!!

My car had the exact same issue. Im trying to sell my 04 2.5TS with an ebay kit and that was the only issue wrong with it. Changed the switch out with the one my my WRX (the new whip) and timing was perfect, someones coming to see it tomorrow!
XLR8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
p8ntballer789
Scooby Newbie

Great to hear!

GOOD NEWS!! Bought an oem switch from Subaru and boom they worked 100% perfectly!! You do not need a new relay, i simply sanded mine down a tiny bit
Old 09-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330797
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

how does the switch install? thinking about installing fog lights to my 2012 impreza that didnt come with fog lights....would it be over the top and would it even work if i bought the turn signal arm that has the fog switch built in??

is the oem switch you are talking about one that you install on the dash area that you flick on and off when you want the fog lights on? can someone take a picture and show me??

thanks!!

Last edited by Blackmamba24kb; 09-03-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
p8ntballer789
Scooby Newbie

I have a 2006 subi, the older Subaru's such as mine has a completely separate switch on the left side of the dash. Like this: click HERE I manually turn them on and off. They will only come on when your headlights are on though.
The newer subaru's like yours has it on the turn signal lever. They make fog light kits that include the lights, the bezels (plastic housing around the lights) and the new turn signal with the fog switch on it. The OEM fog light kits are a little pricy, amazon has one
HEREHERE

Oh and there is no wiring to be done, impreza's come pre-wired Just double check as i have not worked on a 2012 impreza.

Best bet might be seeing if there is an aftermarket fog light kit that is brighter. The oem one like i purchased is alright, not impressed. I only bought it cause i got it dirt cheap lol.