Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
m1nus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 296328
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 Wrx wagon
PSM

OMGHi2U first vf34 swap ots tune datalog please advise

just installed vf34, pinks, wally and tgv deletes with 8mm GS phenolic spacers and 1 step colder ngk irridiums..

i get a weird hesitation like a hickup and almost die when i give it any gas trying to accelerate when the car is first started cold untill it warms up a bit.. ive never modified my maps before yet, but is there something i need to change in the warm up to compensate for the TGV being gone ( im guessing thats the issue)

Performance:
-Vf34 used with 5000 miles installed on my car at 104,320
-JDM STi Pink injectors
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
-TGV deletes (welded)
-8mm Grimspeed Phenolic spacers
-Grimspeed heat shield
-Cobb 3'' High Flow Cat. Downpipe
-Perrin 3'' Cat Back Exhaust
-Grimmspeed ceramic coated uppipe
-Grimspeed ceramic coated X-pipe
-Perrin Radiator Shroud
-STI Top Mount Intercooler
-STI splitter
-Perrin Turbo inlet
-Samco turbo outlet elbow
-Cobb SF intake and box
-Mishimoto radiator and hoses
-AEM ugeo wideband

Drivetrain:
-JDM STI RA Gear-set
-Cusco 1.5 LSD
-Exedy Clutch
-Group-N Motor mounts, Pitch Stopper Dog Bone and -Cross member bushings
-Cobb 5 speed double adjustable short throw shifter

Electronics:
-Cobb AccessPort

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...282TVVLQ09aZXc

thank you for looking!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
m1nus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1nus View Post
just installed vf34, pinks, wally and tgv deletes with 8mm GS phenolic spacers and 1 step colder ngk irridiums..

i get a weird hesitation like a hickup and almost die when i give it any gas trying to accelerate when the car is first started cold untill it warms up a bit.. ive never modified my maps before yet, but is there something i need to change in the warm up to compensate for the TGV being gone ( im guessing thats the issue)

Performance:
-Vf34 used with 5000 miles installed on my car at 104,320
-JDM STi Pink injectors
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
-TGV deletes (welded)
-8mm Grimspeed Phenolic spacers
-Grimspeed heat shield
-Cobb 3'' High Flow Cat. Downpipe
-Perrin 3'' Cat Back Exhaust
-Grimmspeed ceramic coated uppipe
-Grimspeed ceramic coated X-pipe
-Perrin Radiator Shroud
-STI Top Mount Intercooler
-STI splitter
-Perrin Turbo inlet
-Samco turbo outlet elbow
-Cobb SF intake and box
-Mishimoto radiator and hoses
-AEM ugeo wideband

Drivetrain:
-JDM STI RA Gear-set
-Cusco 1.5 LSD
-Exedy Clutch
-Group-N Motor mounts, Pitch Stopper Dog Bone and -Cross member bushings
-Cobb 5 speed double adjustable short throw shifter

Electronics:
-Cobb AccessPort

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...282TVVLQ09aZXc

thank you for looking!!
Your A/F Learning 1 (i.e. long-term fuel trims) are a bit on the extreme side for some of the ranges which may indicate you have intake tract leak. I would definitely get a pressure or smoke test of the intake tract done.

You are also somewhat outside of the scope of the map with your mods. You would likely benefit from a custom tune to take advantage of your additional mods.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
m1nus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Wrx wagon
PSM

cool thanks for chiming in Bill! I will look into the A/F learning and a smoke test. anything else you would reccomend to take a look at?

is it safe to drive daily while i save for a tune??

( id like to learn how to tweak this stuff myself sometime)
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
cool thanks for chiming in Bill! I will look into the A/F learning and a smoke test. anything else you would reccomend to take a look at?

is it safe to drive daily while i save for a tune??

( id like to learn how to tweak this stuff myself sometime)
I would avoid heavy throttle runs until you get the issue behind the extreme long-term fuel trims figured out, just to be on the safe side.

Bill
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
m1nus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Wrx wagon
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
I would avoid heavy throttle runs until you get the issue behind the extreme long-term fuel trims figured out, just to be on the safe side.

Bill
hey bill. i got a boost leak test done and i miss a ton of stuff. i felt quit silly actually. the "T" with the restrictor pill was torn somehow even though it was new when i put it on. its using the WRX td04 pill, is that correct for this map? it should be all buttoned up but now im going way over target boost. is this because of the other mods?

i didnt see any knocking but i hit 20 psi... how dose the rest of the log look (3rd gear pull all vacuum and boost leaks fixed)

http://https://docs.google.com/sprea...0NTakRFTkx6d3c
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
hey bill. i got a boost leak test done and i miss a ton of stuff. i felt quit silly actually. the "T" with the restrictor pill was torn somehow even though it was new when i put it on. its using the WRX td04 pill, is that correct for this map? it should be all buttoned up but now im going way over target boost. is this because of the other mods?

i didnt see any knocking but i hit 20 psi... how dose the rest of the log look (3rd gear pull all vacuum and boost leaks fixed)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0NTakRFTkx6d3c
That is a pretty good boost spike. The stock pill is correct for this map - I would make sure there is not any other damage to the wastegate lines. If not, you may need a custom tune (and would likely be a big benefit due to your other mods).

Your A/F Learning 1 is still extreme. If you didn't reset the ECU since fixing the intake tract leaks, I would do so now. That isn't going to fix your boost issue, but will start you back to zero trims so you can see what they look like over time as it relates to fueling issues (say after a tank of gas).

Bill
Old 08-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
m1nus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Wrx wagon
PSM

thanks, i did re set it, but only went for a 5 min drive before i took the log. ill re-set it again and check everything over again. ill be geting a tune asap with a 3 port but i want to make sure any physical issues are resolved.

i do have an AEM ugeo installed but havent gotten it set up to log yet, would that be bennificial in trouble shooting any of this?

also is there a possibility its the mixture of tune vs modifcations not tuned for that would cause these readings? i dont want to spend money on a tune thats fighting a physical issue, and i dont want to pull my hair out looking for a physical issue thats not there you know what i mean?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
thanks, i did re set it, but only went for a 5 min drive before i took the log. ill re-set it again and check everything over again. ill be geting a tune asap with a 3 port but i want to make sure any physical issues are resolved.

i do have an AEM ugeo installed but havent gotten it set up to log yet, would that be bennificial in trouble shooting any of this?

also is there a possibility its the mixture of tune vs modifcations not tuned for that would cause these readings? i dont want to spend money on a tune thats fighting a physical issue, and i dont want to pull my hair out looking for a physical issue thats not there you know what i mean?
The wbo2 would help in determining if there was a fueling issue. You can add "comm fuel final" to your log and see how your WOT fueling compares to the target to see if there are any major issues at high load. Your fuel trims are borderline, which may be or may not be a problem. Maybe give it about a tank of gas and see where the trims end up without reflashing any maps or resetting the ECU.

The only way a tune would cause incorrect long-term fuel trims would be if you were using an intake that is not compatible with the MAF calibration in the tune or injectors that were not compatible with the injector scaling/latency in the tune. That is not the case here if you are on the Cobb SF intake and STi pinks which are compatible with the map in question. But, sometimes you get injectors that react a little different than average and could benefit from some tweaking in the tune (latency and/or scaler). I would make sure that the pressure test was performed correctly, however.

As far as the boost issue - really difficult to tell if this is a mechanical or tune issue due to your mods/car. Best thing you can do is to check what you can and then attempt to tune the car.

Bill
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
m1nus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Wrx wagon
PSM

hmm, i did sneak in and help with the test a bit in the shop it seemed to be going ok, we found a bunch of leaks and seemed to resolv them. im going to build my own tester and play around with it. ill get my wideband logging set up to work and spend some time driving and let it learn for a bit and report back.

thanks for your help and attention