Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
builthatch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185105
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near the ocean, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 C63 AMG
Palladium Silver

Default HIR bulbs

first of all...i love HIRs. nothing better for a halogen housing, imo. it is unfortunate the technology is limited to 9011/9012 fitments (9005/9006).

this is more or less a public service announcement for those looking into this technology.

anyway...

In my old 2008 Mazdaspeed3, I couldn't get the old style Toshiba 9012 HIR in the fog lamp housing. The reason was the portion ABOVE THE RUBBER SEALING RING on the bulb was too tall/fat, so I trimmed it and it worked out well for the time I had that car.

I happened to have a set of the old style Toshiba 9011 from the high beams in that car. My new STI uses the same fitment in the highs, so I tried to swap them in but I faced the same issue I had in the fogs of the Mazda. I didn't want to hack them up so I purchased a set of the new style Philips HIR and they fit perfectly.







In the pics you'll see a few things -

First pic is the modification I had to make and the other pics are side by sides to show the difference of that particular portion (above the rubber sealing ring) between the new Philips HIR and the old Toshiba HIR.

As you can probably guess, the Philips new style is almost scaled perfectly in those areas vs. the 9005/9006...way better than the globe style Toshibas.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by builthatch; 08-29-2012 at 11:51 AM.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Kiel
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133439
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: An actual house! With rooms!
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Sonic Yellow - Stage Taxi

Default

Any shots of the beam pattern? I wonder what Daniel Stern has to say about HIR lighting.
Kiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
builthatch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185105
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near the ocean, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 C63 AMG
Palladium Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiel View Post
Any shots of the beam pattern? I wonder what Daniel Stern has to say about HIR lighting.
i can take some tonight, but filament position is the same as their "normal" halogen counterpart so the reflector is seeing the same thing it'd see from the OE bulb, just a lot brighter and more significantly lumen output, especially considering the relatively normal wattage rating.

and just to clarify, all of the bulbs above are HIR. the "regular" looking one is the new gen Philips HIR, and the globular one is the old Toshiba version. it's hard to see in the pics, but the round ones have a visible coating inside the glass that plays a major role in the HIR function. the capsule ones have the same technology, but the coating is pretty much invisible which means better light transmission through it.

i put them in the high beams because i didn't want to risk running higher wattage bulbs in there without running a harness, even though the typical high beam use is short duration. i wanted the most light possible using the reflector and headlamp design to the fullest and this it.

i didn't put them in the fogs on this car because i realized the fog lamp design on most of these cars is full of compromises. while the Subaru Koito 90mm (i assume) fog lamp is not terrible, with the HID lows it made more sense to just give the fogs a decent bulb that would also have a color appearance similar to the lows. normally i wouldn't care about that but i was able to find a decent compromise with a Hella high performance bulb so i did it.

Last edited by builthatch; 08-29-2012 at 11:46 AM.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
12sechatch
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 132458
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Kent, Wa
Vehicle:
Okie Dokie Fine

Default

His site is where I first heard of them. These are the best halogen bulbs money can buy that I am aware of.


what did they cost you?
12sechatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
builthatch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185105
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near the ocean, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 C63 AMG
Palladium Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12sechatch View Post
His site is where I first heard of them. These are the best halogen bulbs money can buy that I am aware of.


what did they cost you?
too much. from what i'm seeing, i could have paid about half the price from a competing source.

i'm actually inquiring right now to see why the source that sold me mine are charging so much vs. their competition.

the candlepower site is selling the 9011, for high beams, @ $28 each or $52 a pair, which is more than fair imo.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Counterfit
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 124254
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2006 06 SGM Slowbaru
"The Scoobinator"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiel
Any shots of the beam pattern? I wonder what Daniel Stern has to say about HIR lighting.
I first found out about them on his site. He likes them.
Counterfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
builthatch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185105
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near the ocean, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 C63 AMG
Palladium Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit View Post
I first found out about them on his site. He likes them.
it's just a shame they aren't available more widely and in other fitments. the technology is amazing.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
Dova
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315989
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area , CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default

I wonder if there's some kind of 9006 to H9/H11 conversion harness plug
Dova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
builthatch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185105
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near the ocean, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 C63 AMG
Palladium Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova View Post
I wonder if there's some kind of 9006 to H9/H11 conversion harness plug
you'd still have to get the actual HIR bulb in the housing - does a 9006 fit? if so, a conversion harness would be super easy.

funny you say that; i have an STI so obv i have HID lows but i couldn't remember what the non-HID lows were. i looked it up and searched to see if there was a mod to trim tabs or anything to get one of these HIR to fit in an H9 housing.

EDIT: looking at the bulbs there is no way - the H9 has a completely different base even though they at first look similar.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Counterfit
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 124254
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2006 06 SGM Slowbaru
"The Scoobinator"

Default

HIR bulbs in a HID projector would be as dumb as HID bulbs in a halogen projector. The only reason that HIRs work in existing applications is because they essentially are halogen bulbs, just with fancier glass, and a nifty coating on it.
Counterfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
builthatch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185105
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near the ocean, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 C63 AMG
Palladium Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit View Post
HIR bulbs in a HID projector would be as dumb as HID bulbs in a halogen projector. The only reason that HIRs work in existing applications is because they essentially are halogen bulbs, just with fancier glass, and a nifty coating on it.
wut.

who is talking about anything re: HID projectors?

i assume he was asking about H9 because the non-HID WRX lamps use halogen H9 (or H11 if you modify the connector a bit). that's why i looked into the fitment issue before he even brought it up since the H9 looks like an HIR from afar, and i figured there might be a way for non-HID owners to get HIR as their low beams.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
Counterfit
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 124254
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2006 06 SGM Slowbaru
"The Scoobinator"

Default

Oops
Counterfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.