Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #301
Retsyn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 1910
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2 Left Feet

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizmal
Apple is in serious need of a taste of their own medicine.
Yeah, as much as I'd like to see it happen, I don't think it'll happen in apple's back yard. I'd laugh my ass off if it did though.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Retsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #302
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 That's *Sir*
Weinerlicks of Douche 2u.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickee View Post
I'd suggest the people at Apple are the real ********, but what do I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPunk2001 View Post
B - I'm glad this is happening to Apple and I even have an iPhone. Honestly, karma is a bitch, and they shot themselves in the foot by acting an ass and suing HTC.
Lets go over something... corporations aren't people and aren't subject to social niceties. Corporations can be sued by their own shareholders if they don't take every measure possible to make a profit. Apple stock is stupid high.. and they've got to maintain that by chasing intellectual property or there are going to be a ton of pissed off (yet stupid) shareholders.

You guys can talk about how much of an ******* and hypocrite Steve Jobs was.. because he was one.. but that's what happens when you're on top of a corporation in a cutthroat market.

Fully agreed that the laws need to be different to prevent this from happening, but I'm sick of reading how people think so-and-so corporation is dicks because they used the law to their advantage. Do you really expect a corporation to compete according to your own moral principals rather than to those of corporate law? Really? Do you really think Samsung, HTC or Google wouldn't have done the same had the opportunity arisen first? Do you really think they don't frequently sue smaller companies over silly little disputes already? Really? Lets face it, it's all a bunch of geeky-ass phoneboism and that's all it is.. Samsung, Google, Apple.. these companies aren't your friend, they aren't anybody's friends... stop pretending they're your heroes and it's 'us-vs-them' every time a corporation sneezes out a new lawsuit. They don't give a **** about you.. just your money.
Calamity Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #303
edkwon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 453
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: 小さいӔ
Vehicle:
2014 Audi S4 B8
Metallic Gray

Default

^ Yeah that's pretty much true and this technology fanboism is no more/less retarded than sports team worship or any similar following. Those teams and atheletes don't care a sh** about the fans either but will pretend its all personal
edkwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #304
skywaffles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82470
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
show me your
wizard nose

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
Lets go over something... corporations aren't people and aren't subject to social niceties. Corporations can be sued by their own shareholders if they don't take every measure possible to make a profit. Apple stock is stupid high.. and they've got to maintain that by chasing intellectual property or there are going to be a ton of pissed off (yet stupid) shareholders.

You guys can talk about how much of an ******* and hypocrite Steve Jobs was.. because he was one.. but that's what happens when you're on top of a corporation in a cutthroat market.

Fully agreed that the laws need to be different to prevent this from happening, but I'm sick of reading how people think so-and-so corporation is dicks because they used the law to their advantage. Do you really expect a corporation to compete according to your own moral principals rather than to those of corporate law? Really? Do you really think Samsung, HTC or Google wouldn't have done the same had the opportunity arisen first? Do you really think they don't frequently sue smaller companies over silly little disputes already? Really? Lets face it, it's all a bunch of geeky-ass phoneboism and that's all it is.. Samsung, Google, Apple.. these companies aren't your friend, they aren't anybody's friends... stop pretending they're your heroes and it's 'us-vs-them' every time a corporation sneezes out a new lawsuit. They don't give a **** about you.. just your money.
Another Beaverjesus posts that I won't read.
skywaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #305
BGPunk2001
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46134
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Welcome to Flavor Town
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
Lets go over something... corporations aren't people and aren't subject to social niceties. Corporations can be sued by their own shareholders if they don't take every measure possible to make a profit. Apple stock is stupid high.. and they've got to maintain that by chasing intellectual property or there are going to be a ton of pissed off (yet stupid) shareholders.

You guys can talk about how much of an ******* and hypocrite Steve Jobs was.. because he was one.. but that's what happens when you're on top of a corporation in a cutthroat market.

Fully agreed that the laws need to be different to prevent this from happening, but I'm sick of reading how people think so-and-so corporation is dicks because they used the law to their advantage. Do you really expect a corporation to compete according to your own moral principals rather than to those of corporate law? Really? Do you really think Samsung, HTC or Google wouldn't have done the same had the opportunity arisen first? Do you really think they don't frequently sue smaller companies over silly little disputes already? Really? Lets face it, it's all a bunch of geeky-ass phoneboism and that's all it is.. Samsung, Google, Apple.. these companies aren't your friend, they aren't anybody's friends... stop pretending they're your heroes and it's 'us-vs-them' every time a corporation sneezes out a new lawsuit. They don't give a **** about you.. just your money.
Sooo your point in quoting me wasssss......? I'm not a fanboy. I told you I have an iPhone myself and that the laws need to be altered because its a bunch of bull****. I can still disagree with their principles even if they are a corporation.

Hell you just made the case I have against corporations in general. Make profit to the highest degree with disregard to anything else. I think its morally ****ing reprehensible, and the cause of a great deal of strife around the world today. God forbid I wish corps would have some ****ing decency in their operations.

Profiteering based on the whims of creating the best outcome for people gambling on your company is a bad ****ing long term strategy for business. When stocks drive your product instead of people driving your product, you've lost your focus (I'm not specifically referring to Apple on this). Its why I think the market is ****ed, and eventually everyone is going to come to this conclusion.
BGPunk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #306
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 That's *Sir*
Weinerlicks of Douche 2u.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPunk2001 View Post
Sooo your point in quoting me wasssss......?
Because you invoked an imaginary force in the universe as though it has anything to do with anything...

I could write another whole rant on Karma (and I have) that Skywatchmens wouldn't read (and didn't).
Calamity Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #307
BGPunk2001
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46134
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Welcome to Flavor Town
Default

I'll try less ethereal invocations next time, but I stand by the paragraph I just wrote. I think it is reasonable.
BGPunk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #308
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPunk2001 View Post
Sooo your point in quoting me wasssss......? I'm not a fanboy. I told you I have an iPhone myself and that the laws need to be altered because its a bunch of bull****. I can still disagree with their principles even if they are a corporation.

Hell you just made the case I have against corporations in general. Make profit to the highest degree with disregard to anything else. I think its morally ****ing reprehensible, and the cause of a great deal of strife around the world today. God forbid I wish corps would have some ****ing decency in their operations.

Profiteering based on the whims of creating the best outcome for people gambling on your company is a bad ****ing long term strategy for business. When stocks drive your product instead of people driving your product, you've lost your focus (I'm not specifically referring to Apple on this). Its why I think the market is ****ed, and eventually everyone is going to come to this conclusion.
this x100. also, i have to wonder how much damage such lawsuits actually cause the company that is suing. i know that comments on the net means nothing in the real world but i know quite a few Apple users that are completely turns off by Apple's recent actions.
Rattles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #309
Stickee
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 530
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: I wonder how long you could ma
Vehicle:
2005 9-2x Aero
FastAr Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
Lets go over something... corporations aren't people and aren't subject to social niceties. Corporations can be sued by their own shareholders if they don't take every measure possible to make a profit. Apple stock is stupid high.. and they've got to maintain that by chasing intellectual property or there are going to be a ton of pissed off (yet stupid) shareholders.

You guys can talk about how much of an ******* and hypocrite Steve Jobs was.. because he was one.. but that's what happens when you're on top of a corporation in a cutthroat market.

Fully agreed that the laws need to be different to prevent this from happening, but I'm sick of reading how people think so-and-so corporation is dicks because they used the law to their advantage. Do you really expect a corporation to compete according to your own moral principals rather than to those of corporate law? Really? Do you really think Samsung, HTC or Google wouldn't have done the same had the opportunity arisen first? Do you really think they don't frequently sue smaller companies over silly little disputes already? Really? Lets face it, it's all a bunch of geeky-ass phoneboism and that's all it is.. Samsung, Google, Apple.. these companies aren't your friend, they aren't anybody's friends... stop pretending they're your heroes and it's 'us-vs-them' every time a corporation sneezes out a new lawsuit. They don't give a **** about you.. just your money.
Are you upset?
Stickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #310
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickee View Post
*Waits for Apple fans to whine about frivolous patent lawsuits*
Most rational Apple users disagree with suing over patents. Apple's patent lawsuits against Samsung were frivolous (trade dress is another matter). This lawsuit is another example of corporations (like Apple and HTC) using lawsuits as a hammer rather than a shield. I didn't agree when Apple did it and I don't like it now.


I have been using Apple products for 25 years and I still find it funny that people hate them so much. I also find it funny that people adore them so much. Maybe the adoration some people show makes other people hate them?
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #311
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickee View Post
Are you upset?
Painting one company as the villain and the other as a hero also paints you as a sucker.
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #312
Stickee
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 530
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: I wonder how long you could ma
Vehicle:
2005 9-2x Aero
FastAr Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeastie View Post
Painting one company as the villain and the other as a hero also paints you as a sucker.
That's nice. Good thing I couldn't care less about either company. I have products from Apple, none from HTC.

I, just like you, feel the lawsuits against Samsung were frivolous.

I also find it entertaining to read about HTC now suing Apple and potentially getting future products blocked. Like when the school bully finally gets a beat down.
Stickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #313
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickee View Post
That's nice. Good thing I couldn't care less about either company. I have products from Apple, none from HTC.

I, just like you, feel the lawsuits against Samsung were frivolous.

I also find it entertaining to read about HTC now suing Apple and potentially getting future products blocked. Like when the school bully finally gets a beat down.
But you don't think HTC's lawsuits are frivolous?

You can't complain about frivolous law suits on one occasion and then laugh about them and call it deserved on another and then call yourself impartial.

Also, owning Apple products does not make you a fan, nor does it make you impartial.
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #314
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
05 WRX Wagon
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeastie View Post
But you don't think HTC's lawsuits are frivolous?

You can't complain about frivolous law suits on one occasion and then laugh about them and call it deserved on another and then call yourself impartial.

Also, owning Apple products does not make you a fan, nor does it make you impartial.
Thats the thing, Samsung and HTC's LTE patents are NOT frivolous. They are, in fact, ACTUAL patent infringement.
djpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #315
SoobZero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 157226
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Moorpark, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
Thats the thing, Samsung and HTC's LTE patents are NOT frivolous. They are, in fact, ACTUAL patent infringement.
The U.S District Court disagrees with your post.
SoobZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #316
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobZero View Post
The U.S District Court disagrees with your post.
oh really? any source?
Rattles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #317
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
05 WRX Wagon
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobZero View Post
The U.S District Court disagrees with your post.
And how could that possibly be when the suits havent even been filed yet? Both Samsung and HTC are waiting for tomorrow's announcement before filing.
djpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #318
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
Thats the thing, Samsung and HTC's LTE patents are NOT frivolous. They are, in fact, ACTUAL patent infringement.
HTC purchased these patents just so that it could retaliate and sue Apple. You don't see that as an abuse of the system?

There has been no infringement proven on this case yet. How do you know they are actually infringing anything? No company should get a free pass for abusing the legal system. Not Apple, not anyone.
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #319
SoobZero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 157226
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Moorpark, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
And how could that possibly be when the suits havent even been filed yet? Both Samsung and HTC are waiting for tomorrow's announcement before filing.
By stating that Samsung and HTC's patents are NOT frivolous and are ACTUAL patent suits infers that Apple's patent claims were frivolous and were NOT ACTUAL, amirite? Why did the court choose to hear the case if the patents were not legit? I recognize that "squares with rounded edges" appears frivolous but the court has so far disagreed.
SoobZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #320
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
05 WRX Wagon
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeastie View Post
HTC purchased these patents just so that it could retaliate and sue Apple. You don't see that as an abuse of the system?

There has been no infringement proven on this case yet. How do you know they are actually infringing anything? No company should get a free pass for abusing the legal system. Not Apple, not anyone.
Yes and no.

Is it abuse? No, because HTC and Samsung both have valid claims to that technology and who is authorized to use it. If Ford buys a patent to some next generation super efficient motor and starts using it for their cars, and Chevrolet comes along and puts the same engine in the car without permission, would Ford have the right to sue? You better believe it.

As for the retaliation, yes, it is. I have no problem with it. If Apple is going to play dirty, I have no problems with the competition trying to beat them at their own game.

Using the car analogy again... Chevrolet sues Ford for putting in turn signals that make the same noise and same speed as theirs (probably as close of an analogy you will get for this situation for Apple's suit against Samsung). Chevrolet is successful in suing Ford, which causes a multi-week ban of Ford's new car, and Ford is force to change the signal speed and sound slightly before release. Chevrolet turns around and then starts using Ford's patented engine technology without permission. Why WOULDN'T Ford sue?
djpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #321
Dizmal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103474
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: High Plains driftin
Vehicle:
my other ride
has tits

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeastie View Post
Painting one company as the villain and the other as a hero also paints you as a sucker.
I don't think so at all. You can mark Apple the villain and not be a sucker. I don't think the cellular market were as sue happy in the past, nor did they use patents as weapons to stiffle innovation as proficiently as today.

I don't think I seen too much about Samsung suing HTC or HTC suing Samsung to block new models before. Unless I just pay more attention nowadays..


Apple changed the rules of the game. Everyone is being forced to play "their" game now. You reap what you sow and I hope it all comes home to roost on Apple's farm fast and hard.
Dizmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #322
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
05 WRX Wagon
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobZero View Post
By stating that Samsung and HTC's patents are NOT frivolous and are ACTUAL patent suits infers that Apple's patent claims were frivolous and were NOT ACTUAL, amirite? Why did the court choose to hear the case if the patents were not legit? I recognize that "squares with rounded edges" appears frivolous but the court has so far disagreed.
Because anyone with half a brain (obviously not the patent office) can tell that Apple's generic "patents" are indeed over generalized and yes, frivolous. The fact that the jurors in that case have admitted to not doing their homework into Apple stealing those patent ideas from others just, to me, just solidifies my opinion.

That said, I am sure the new iPhone will be a good product, and more than likely I will end up with one for work. I also think Apple deserves a taste of their own medicine. All this suing is curbing innovation, but Apple will keep pulling this crap until someone stops them, and I am hoping it will be HTC or Samsung or Google that does.

I think Google would have a pretty good case against Apple for many of the recent changes that have been added to iOS that are quite clearly copied from the Android OS.
djpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #323
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Some industrial grade hypocrisy up in this bitch.
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #324
Stickee
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 530
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: I wonder how long you could ma
Vehicle:
2005 9-2x Aero
FastAr Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeastie View Post
But you don't think HTC's lawsuits are frivolous?

You can't complain about frivolous law suits on one occasion and then laugh about them and call it deserved on another and then call yourself impartial.

Also, owning Apple products does not make you a fan, nor does it make you impartial.
I think Apple started this whole mess.

edit: And I think they started it because other companies were building better phones. Apple wants to make their money by selling phones with small upgrades every year. They can't do this if the likes of Samsung, HTC are offering better alternatives.
Stickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #325
Retsyn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 1910
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2 Left Feet

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeastie View Post
Some industrial grade hypocrisy up in this bitch.
I actually agree but it's because I don't think that patents should be transferable nor do I think that software or design patents should be allowed.
Retsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.