Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #326
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
05 WRX Wagon
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsyn View Post
I don't think that patents should be transferable nor do I think that software or design patents should be allowed.
Agree on that.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
djpast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #327
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2015 Dodge Charger
HelloCatty

Default

I keep hearing "curbing innovation". What about suing someone for copying your phone is "curbing innovation"? Shouldn't forcing companies to not make a copycat of your product inspire innovation?
quentinberg007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #328
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
05 WRX Wagon
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinberg007 View Post
I keep hearing "curbing innovation". What about suing someone for copying your phone is "curbing innovation"? Shouldn't forcing companies to not make a copycat of your product inspire innovation?
Many of the apple patents for gestures and touches were invented far before the iPhone/iPad/etc were around and were invented by other companies. Mitsubishi used pinch to zoom on a device in 2001. Many phones were square with rounded edges. Many phones before the iPhone allowed you to click a phone number from a website or email to dial. Yet Apple was allowed to patent all these as their own...

I guess an example would be if someone came up with a gesture or an great app, but because a company patents some generic touch, or app position, you could be sued because of it, even though it may be completely different than what the patent was originally intended for.
djpast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #329
BGPunk2001
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46134
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Welcome to Flavor Town
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
corporations aren't people
P.S. Citizens United says otherwise.
BGPunk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #330
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
Many of the apple patents for gestures and touches were invented far before the iPhone/iPad/etc were around and were invented by other companies. Mitsubishi used pinch to zoom on a device in 2001. Many phones were square with rounded edges. Many phones before the iPhone allowed you to click a phone number from a website or email to dial. Yet Apple was allowed to patent all these as their own...

I guess an example would be if someone came up with a gesture or an great app, but because a company patents some generic touch, or app position, you could be sued because of it, even though it may be completely different than what the patent was originally intended for.
I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but Apple does not have a patent on a black rectangle with rounded edges. As bad as the patent office is, they certainly wouldn't award that. As far as the gesture patents go, they had to be very specific about how it worked. They are not general at all. This would make it easy for another company to sidestep because they would only have to modify their own design slightly. Apple patented their exact method very specifically, so that no other company could copy them exactly. That doesn't make frivolous lawsuits any better and it certainly doesn't make them better because they are coming from a company that isn't Apple.
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #331
r0bman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87015
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mos Eisley, TA 85202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeastie View Post
I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but Apple does not have a patent on a black rectangle with rounded edges. As bad as the patent office is, they certainly wouldn't award that. As far as the gesture patents go, they had to be very specific about how it worked. They are not general at all. This would make it easy for another company to sidestep because they would only have to modify their own design slightly. Apple patented their exact method very specifically, so that no other company could copy them exactly. That doesn't make frivolous lawsuits any better and it certainly doesn't make them better because they are coming from a company that isn't Apple.
Nothing worse than a Fapple apologist. Nothing.
r0bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #332
Dizmal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103474
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: High Plains driftin
Vehicle:
my other ride
has tits

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
Many of the apple patents for gestures and touches were invented far before the iPhone/iPad/etc were around and were invented by other companies. Mitsubishi used pinch to zoom on a device in 2001. Many phones were square with rounded edges. Many phones before the iPhone allowed you to click a phone number from a website or email to dial. Yet Apple was allowed to patent all these as their own...

I guess an example would be if someone came up with a gesture or an great app, but because a company patents some generic touch, or app position, you could be sued because of it, even though it may be completely different than what the patent was originally intended for.

An even better example would be should Chrysler sue every automaker who made a Caravan aka the "minivan" because they came up with the design first? Chevy can only make suburbans?

Last edited by Dizmal; 09-10-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Dizmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #333
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bman View Post
Nothing worse than a Fapple apologist. Nothing.
Nothing? Really? I can think of some. A shark eating a lifeboat full of babies.. Your mom's cockbreath..

It's funny to me how you can read that as an apologist viewpoint. It's very revealing. **** Apple, seriously. If they engage in frivolous lawsuits that stifle fair competition, then **** them (ooh look I only have to say it once more to be like st Peter denying Jesus).


Technology patents are ridiculous because they define a very finite set of parameters, yet people view them as broad-based. As far as this case from HTC goes, Apple can make it all go away if they agree to license from HTC (and probably drop any current and future lawsuits against them).
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #334
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2015 Dodge Charger
HelloCatty

Default

Yeah, I agree, Apple is being tools about all this. It is all coincidence. I mean, check out all the innovation in this new HP Spectre One. All sorts of innovation.



http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/10/h...3-pavilion-20/

Looks nothing like this.

quentinberg007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #335
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
An even better example would be should Chrysler sue every automaker who made a Caravan aka the "minivan" because they came up with the design first?
It's likely that Chrysler does license some of it's technology and patents to other automakers.
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #336
r0bman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87015
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mos Eisley, TA 85202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinberg007 View Post
Yeah, I agree, Apple is being tools about all this. It is all coincidence. I mean, check out all the innovation in this new HP Spectre One. All sorts of innovation.
Yes, because HP (who, by the way, has been irrelevant for years) makes cellphones.
r0bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #337
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2015 Dodge Charger
HelloCatty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bman View Post
Yes, because HP (who, by the way, has been irrelevant for years) makes cellphones.
We have car analogies being slung all over the place and a comparison to a computer maker is way too far out in left field to be relevant?
quentinberg007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #338
Dizmal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103474
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: High Plains driftin
Vehicle:
my other ride
has tits

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeastie View Post
It's likely that Chrysler does license some of it's technology and patents to other automakers.
Well I'm sure they do. Just like I'm sure HTC and Samsung do. Most companies can play nice and learn and share from each other. Every auto manufacturer is BETTER because of it.

But then you have Apple, the idiot savant. Throwing fits about other smart kids. It's like holding back the class of smart kids for the slow retard who just can't seem to keep up. So everyone suffers.

BUT IT JUST WORKS.
Dizmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #339
r0bman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87015
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mos Eisley, TA 85202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinberg007 View Post
We have car analogies being slung all over the place and a comparison to a computer maker is way too far out in left field to be relevant?
Yes, because it makes my argument betterer.

Honest opinion: Samsung freaking derserved it. TouchWhiz (epic piece of crap, btw) was so stupidly obviously designed from the getgo to look and feel like iOs. And a single useless hardware button on an android phone? Really?

Still, Apple's buy-patent-sue-to-snot-and-whine-about-it-later approach sucks, especially when they can't innovate anything on their own except for marketing to begin with. But Samsung got what was coming to them for being dumb.
r0bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #340
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Apple doesn't have to worry about HTC. They really need to worry about the lawsuit from GooPhone. How could Apple have so blatantly copied this?

Answer: They didn't.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/30/g...ks-in-advance/

I mean if this isn't an indictment of patents, then I don't know what is.
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #341
skywaffles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82470
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
. let's take
an ussie

Default

Nobody is saying that Apple is never infringed upon. Hell, most of us would probably agree that early TouchWiz was a pretty shameless iOS clone. What we don't agree with is Apple's physical design patents. Particularly for the Galaxy Tab, which is NOTHING like an iPad aside from being vaguely rectangular and having a screen.

After the original Galaxy S, the Galaxy series departed from the infringing roots and became a product that stands on its own. Only a retard would confuse a GSII/III or any of the tabs with their Apple competition.
skywaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #342
r0bman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87015
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mos Eisley, TA 85202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeastie View Post
Apple doesn't have to worry about HTC. They really need to worry about the lawsuit from GooPhone. How could Apple have so blatantly copied this?

Answer: They didn't.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/30/g...ks-in-advance/

I mean if this isn't an indictment of patents, then I don't know what is.
Is that an epic straw in your grasp, or are you just enjoying the show?

It's a dip**** China company. They carbon-copy cars over there as a way of life, for Christ sakes. You're REALLY going to compare them to legitimate cellphone producing giants? You really think that bolsters your argument?
r0bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #343
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2015 Dodge Charger
HelloCatty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
Well I'm sure they do. Just like I'm sure HTC and Samsung do. Most companies can play nice and learn and share from each other. Every auto manufacturer is BETTER because of it.

But then you have Apple, the idiot savant. Throwing fits about other smart kids. It's like holding back the class of smart kids for the slow retard who just can't seem to keep up. So everyone suffers.

BUT IT JUST WORKS.
Oh, poo, you ninja edited the part about how Apple "rarely does or can do anything right." You really expect people to take you seriously when you are so obviously biased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bman View Post
Yes, because it makes my argument betterer.

Honest opinion: Samsung freaking derserved it. TouchWhiz (epic piece of crap, btw) was so stupidly obviously designed from the getgo to look and feel like iOs. And a single useless hardware button on an android phone? Really?

Still, Apple's buy-patent-sue-to-snot-and-whine-about-it-later approach sucks, especially when they can't innovate anything on their own except for marketing to begin with. But Samsung got what was coming to them for being dumb.
Pretty much agreed except the "can't innovate" part. They are surely a step behind on a few features, but they have a hell of a history of innovating. The first iPhone blew the whole segment open.
quentinberg007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #344
Dizmal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103474
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: High Plains driftin
Vehicle:
my other ride
has tits

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinberg007 View Post
Oh, poo, you ninja edited the part about how Apple "rarely does or can do anything right." You really expect people to take you seriously when you are so obviously biased?
It's pretty apparent apple cannot compete in the cellular market with it's innovation or current business model anyway. So they do whatever they can to slow the others down. I think my analogy is pretty sweet!

My bias makes me quick to judge. But my judgement is not wrong.
Dizmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #345
chris619
So Special
 
Member#: 59470
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Vehicle:
show me on the rug
where he banned you

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinberg007 View Post
Yeah, I agree, Apple is being tools about all this. It is all coincidence. I mean, check out all the innovation in this new HP Spectre One. All sorts of innovation.

i need this like yesterday
chris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #346
skywaffles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82470
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
. let's take
an ussie

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinberg007 View Post
Oh, poo, you ninja edited the part about how Apple "rarely does or can do anything right." You really expect people to take you seriously when you are so obviously biased?



Pretty much agreed except the "can't innovate" part. They are surely a step behind on a few features, but they have a hell of a history of innovating. The first iPhone blew the whole segment open.
The much beloved static grid of icons UI is looking really outdated. Apple really needs to do something about it. Android gives you widgets that give you instant useful information without having to open anything, and Windows Phone does something similar with the live tiles. That's one big thing that would keep me from owning another iPhone.
skywaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #347
BGPunk2001
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46134
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Welcome to Flavor Town
Default

Yeah, i'm pretty sick of the argument that they can't do things with the phone because of how less secure it will make it.

AKA changing icons/themes/widgets without jailbreaking.
BGPunk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #348
BlackBeastie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11846
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
-== TMYK☆

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bman View Post
Is that an epic straw in your grasp, or are you just enjoying the show?

It's a dip**** China company. They carbon-copy cars over there as a way of life, for Christ sakes. You're REALLY going to compare them to legitimate cellphone producing giants? You really think that bolsters your argument?
The show!! I know they are just suing for headlines. This is just like that other Chinese company who was suing Apple over the iPad name. Because that made an impact I'm sure you remember where you were when that judgement came down.
BlackBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #349
chet24
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315018
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Kamas, Utah
Vehicle:
09 WRX
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

I think I'm going to get ripped apart because of this, but I am ok with the apple suit. I own an iPhone 4s, plan on getting the 5 for my wife when ordering starts, but I honestly would just as soon use an android if I didn't already feel comfortable using the iPhone. I think the first few generation droids (when I started using iPhone) had problems, but the newer ones I have used are clean and more functional than my iPhone.

But if a judge and jury can find apple to be in the right for suing samsung, then power to them. The law is clearly in their favor, and until that is changed, it is just good business practice. Growing up in a family business, I understand that it is not a please everyone way of life if you want to be successful. The way I see it, apple just confirmed their place on top for the next five years with this case.
chet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #350
skywaffles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82470
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
. let's take
an ussie

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet24 View Post
I think I'm going to get ripped apart because of this, but I am ok with the apple suit. I own an iPhone 4s, plan on getting the 5 for my wife when ordering starts, but I honestly would just as soon use an android if I didn't already feel comfortable using the iPhone. I think the first few generation droids (when I started using iPhone) had problems, but the newer ones I have used are clean and more functional than my iPhone.

But if a judge and jury can find apple to be in the right for suing samsung, then power to them. The law is clearly in their favor, and until that is changed, it is just good business practice. Growing up in a family business, I understand that it is not a please everyone way of life if you want to be successful. The way I see it, apple just confirmed their place on top for the next five years with this case.
No way. Unless Apple starts overhauling iOS like yesterday they're going to fall behind far sooner than that. Everything was fine for them when they were the only real player in the game, but Google and Microsoft are bringing it big.
skywaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.