Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 10, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
davey111483
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328990
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 Evolution GSR
Wicked White

Default Volk 18x9.5 +15

I have a set of volk vr g2 18x9.5 +15 on my evo x and since i will be switching to an STI, i was wondering if any of you ever tried this aggressive set up on an STI sedan 2011-up. Or should i just sell it and buy a less aggressive set of wheels for the STI?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
davey111483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Improbus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 278439
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 4dr Stage2+
OBP

Sell them. With an offset that low you will be spending big bucks to get them to fit. You will need Coilovers, Rear Control Arms, and lots of fender work. If you are ok with all of that I am sure you can get them to "fit" but you will have to worry about tires hitting the strut towers as well. Aside from that when you stray this far away from the stock offset you will have problems with the scrub radius which will put stress on your suspension geometry and you will have numbed turn in which means your steering will be less responsive. I am sure others will have differing opinions but that's just my 2 cents.

Sell them recoup some money and shop for something that's easier to fit.
Improbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru

Member#: 97135
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbus
Sell them. With an offset that low you will be spending big bucks to get them to fit. You will need Coilovers, Rear Control Arms, and lots of fender work. If you are ok with all of that I am sure you can get them to "fit" but you will have to worry about tires hitting the strut towers as well. Aside from that when you stray this far away from the stock offset you will have problems with the scrub radius which will put stress on your suspension geometry and you will have numbed turn in which means your steering will be less responsive. I am sure others will have differing opinions but that's just my 2 cents.

Sell them recoup some money and shop for something that's easier to fit.
This is pretty much correct save for the "rubbing on strut towers".

Pretty aggressive for even the GR set up, it can be done but it'll be a lot of work. If its worth it is up to you.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
davey111483
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328990
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 Evolution GSR
Wicked White

alright thanks guys. i'm thinking of buying te37sl 18x10 +40 instead. that's not too aggressive on an STI right? i saw the forged performance STI sedan and it looks nice.
davey111483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru

Member#: 97135
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey111483
alright thanks guys. i'm thinking of buying te37sl 18x10 +40 instead. that's not too aggressive on an STI right? i saw the forged performance STI sedan and it looks nice.
That *might* rub on suspension. I'm not 100% on that.

"not too aggressive" would be a 9.5 +38 or smaller for your chassis
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote