Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday April 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
rlowery78
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)

Member#: 181076
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
WRB

Default Megan Racing (e-bay) H brace for 2008+ WRX

I'll post pics this weekend if anyone is interested. However...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-RACING...item2319b74df5

I bought this "H" Brace from ebay (I had a little Paypal money and the price was good and a friend with an 09 seemed to really like what the brace did for his car...)

Quality/Craftsmanship: I thought the quality was very good and the craftsmanship was also very good. The welds are nice and neat, the finish appears to be very good, there were no rough spots or anything noticeably wrong with it. The structure was sound and straight. It appears to be a replica of the GT-Spec "H"-brace.

Installation/Fitment: Installation was very easy...I had a little difficulty lining the control arm bolts back up once they were removed but that was easily remedied by unloading the suspension slightly with my floor jack. (I recommend using ramps for the install unless you have access to a lift etc.) The fitment was superb. I have read other brands have some issues with fitment but there were no issues whatsoever with the Megan Racing product. Design may have something to do with this as the bolt holes were not round but oblong, which seemed to give some room to play during the install, but once I started to torque the bolts to proper specs, the brace lined up perfectly.

First Impressions: Steering response seemed to be slightly improved, certainly feel was improved (changed at least- seemed "tighter"). The overall feel of the front end seemed more rigid and responsive...However I also felt like I have a bit too much anti-sway bar in the front? The Brace seemed to help with body roll some also (But that should be expected as it ties the control arms together and seems to limit the motion of the OEM rubber bushings.) That stiffening of the front end may be the sensation I feel, and may take some more driving to regain confidence or appreciation to the new handling characteristics of the car.

For comparison, I have Whiteline 22mm sway in the front, STI 19mm rear with the Whiteline Support Braces (They help - I drove the car with and without and With is much more solid and ties the rear anti-sway suspension components together well) Stock Springs/Shocks/Struts...

I would recommend this product, and will buy Megan Racing components again should the need arise.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rlowery78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Rex_Revo
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (4)

Member#: 311324
Chapter/Region: MAIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowery78 View Post
I'll post pics this weekend if anyone is interested. However...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-RACING...item2319b74df5

I bought this "H" Brace from ebay (I had a little Paypal money and the price was good and a friend with an 09 seemed to really like what the brace did for his car...)

Quality/Craftsmanship: I thought the quality was very good and the craftsmanship was also very good. The welds are nice and neat, the finish appears to be very good, there were no rough spots or anything noticeably wrong with it. The structure was sound and straight. It appears to be a replica of the GT-Spec "H"-brace.

Installation/Fitment: Installation was very easy...I had a little difficulty lining the control arm bolts back up once they were removed but that was easily remedied by unloading the suspension slightly with my floor jack. (I recommend using ramps for the install unless you have access to a lift etc.) The fitment was superb. I have read other brands have some issues with fitment but there were no issues whatsoever with the Megan Racing product. Design may have something to do with this as the bolt holes were not round but oblong, which seemed to give some room to play during the install, but once I started to torque the bolts to proper specs, the brace lined up perfectly.

First Impressions: Steering response seemed to be slightly improved, certainly feel was improved (changed at least- seemed "tighter"). The overall feel of the front end seemed more rigid and responsive...However I also felt like I have a bit too much anti-sway bar in the front? The Brace seemed to help with body roll some also (But that should be expected as it ties the control arms together and seems to limit the motion of the OEM rubber bushings.) That stiffening of the front end may be the sensation I feel, and may take some more driving to regain confidence or appreciation to the new handling characteristics of the car.

For comparison, I have Whiteline 22mm sway in the front, STI 19mm rear with the Whiteline Support Braces (They help - I drove the car with and without and With is much more solid and ties the rear anti-sway suspension components together well) Stock Springs/Shocks/Struts...

I would recommend this product, and will buy Megan Racing components again should the need arise.
Are you running aftermarket endlinks?
Rex_Revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
rlowery78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Revo View Post
Are you running aftermarket endlinks?
Only in the front. I am using the Cusco endlinks. The rear links are stock. I am using an STi rear sway (from 2010? 19mm) and the links are the same...Figured there was no use in changing them yet. If I break them then I will go to the Rallitek endlinks.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Rex_Revo
Scooby Newbie

You might get a benefit from rear endlinks. I actually just removed my H brace while getting ready for my new car. I definitely lost a lot of steering feel and a kind of solid feeling in the front. It actually feels a bit like a sway bar change because of the additional front end flex. I was doing a lot of thought about this last night after reading the article about the SPT WRX with H lower chassis brace and strut brace, and how they lost .02 on the skid pad. Depending on the balance of your car, which as we know on the newer WRX favors understeer, you are probably sacrificing maximum lateral acceleration for steering feel and driver confidence (on a 100% stock vehicle). With your mods it would be tough to say where your balance is, but with the 22mm front sway you could probably stand some firmness on the rear bar. I had the Ralliteks. Quality piece, but I popped one of the seals on one of them. I will probably look for something with a slightly different design when I upgrade next time.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
rlowery78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
WRB

I have the Whiteline Sway Bar support braces...I studied lots before I made my sway bar choices... My car handles feels VERY neutral right now...Also it is a common misconception that more rear anti-sway bar equals a more oversteer... It certainly helps with turn in...too much rear stiffness could be not the best of ideas...

look here: http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=18541.0

and also here: http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=13082.0

The SPT Brace and The Megan brace are different. I would like to see a comparison... The "feel" of the car to me now is an ability to approach a corner "harder" and be able to hold a correct line, also allowing the suspension (ultimately) my tires to do their job which is to hold onto the road.

Confidence is always a performance improvement...If you are afraid of the dog, he knows it and will eventually bite you! Going to go for a drive over some mountain twisties on Sunday...I'll report back...
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Rex_Revo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowery78 View Post
Confidence is always a performance improvement...If you are afraid of the dog, he knows it and will eventually bite you! Going to go for a drive over some mountain twisties on Sunday...I'll report back...
Neutral is good. I consider oversteer a tendency for the rear to slide first at steady throttle. It is pretty easy to transition between under and oversteer with the throttle in AWD.

Best to bite the dog first before he gets any funny ideas.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
rlowery78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
WRB

True enough...

Yes I agree with your definition of over steer...Or at least that is how I "feel" it. and to me under steer was the "plowing ahead" feeling no matter where you pointed it.

As to anti sway bars at there very definition they reduce sway...or the body/suspensions tendency to be overly impacted by gravity (g's). I am happy with the effects of the suspension/chassis mods so far. Very responsive, predictable, and confidence inspiring.

So, I would still recommend the Megan H brace... Not sure as to the performance of other brands... I think that there may be different levels of performance/ effect depending on design, brand, etc. etc. But am happy with what it has done for my car.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
zephyrantes
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (3)

Member#: 301234

have you had any clearance issues (with speed bumps) with the Megan H-brace?
zephyrantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
markyboi
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 268494

^this

can you also provide pictures? just so we have an idea how much room there is for an aftermarket downpipe
markyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
rlowery78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
WRB

None, no clearance issues at all! you might loose .5 inch overall...My driveway can be tricky my rallyarmor flaps drag in the front but the H-brace has 0 marks on it!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
rlowery78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
WRB

I suppose it is also worth noting that I am on stock springs... even if you are really lowered, I don't think there should be any issues...(It would have to be a BIG bump!)
Old 03-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
zephyrantes
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (3)

Member#: 301234

rlowery: thanks for the response! I was thinking of getting this and cutting the rear horizontal connection if there was gonna be a clearance issue. I think that for the price, this would be a good chassis mod.
zephyrantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
rlowery78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
WRB

I am happy with it! Go for it and let me know what you think! (Caution: the control arm bolts can me tough to line up... there may be axle separation issues if not careful, and the control arms are allowed to swing/move too much)
Old 09-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
rlowery78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
WRB

Downside, when it is time to do transmission fluid replacement, the brace makes access difficult.