Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 27, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
codermyers
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382196
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1994 Impreza L
green

Question ej18 -> EJ25D swap question (theory)

Background - I'm doing the popular EJ18 to EJ25D swap. 96 LGT motor in a 94 L Wagon. I have read many threads in preparation and have both shop manuals. The swap is finished except for the emissions stuff, I will be starting the engine today or tomorrow.

Here's what is puzzling me:
The older EJ22/EJ18 grey top injectors are supposedly 240cc. The EJ25D red tops are 280cc. The fuel pressure spec is the same, 36ish psi. Therefore, the EJ25D injectors flow 17% more fuel for the same pulsewidth. The EJ25D has 39% more displacement than the 1.8, so at low throttle openings it should need 39% more fuel assuming similar volumetric efficiency.

Running the 2.5 with the 1.8 ECU, if 39% more fuel is required, but the injectors only provide 17% more fuel, I would expect that the engine would run a bit lean, as the 1.8 ECU base fuel map should be programmed for shorter pulsewidths than the 2.5 ECU.

However, all the threads I've read say that this swap runs slightly rich with the 1.8 ECU. Maybe that's not such a bad thing with higher compression and no knock sensor, but I'm curious why it would run rich. Any ideas?
codermyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2015, 02:35 AM   #2
codermyers
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382196
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1994 Impreza L
green

No one cares to speculate. Guess I'll try RS25.
codermyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Einimas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 176111

maf and knock sensor will take care of everything
Einimas is offline   Reply With Quote