Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 29, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #451
AphexDouble
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 96427
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Riverside, CA
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R
Pearl White

Default

Wooot Woooot!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AphexDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #452
aaronkemper
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 74853
Join Date: Nov 2004
Impreza WRX STi Serious Power Steering issues!

Name: Aaron

Make: '05 STi

Mileage: 22K

Time Out Of Use: Still driving it... it's my only car

Problem And Likely Cause: Power steering locks up intermittently. Cold weather?

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: "Unable to replicate problem"

Your Story: Thanks for reading....

My STi has for the last week been intermittently difficult to steer (especially when cold but also after warming up, see below). It feels like the power steering fluid has frozen up briefly, then clears and returns. I also hear and feel brief "shudders" as I turn the wheel at low speeds (almost stopped in parking lots or turning while feathering the clutch into first).

I should add, I live in Madison, WI and it's been as cold as 31F below zero with the wind chill and I do not have a garage. I took it into the dealer to have them check it out and install an engine block heater (I had previously only used a battery warmer). They said that they couldn't replicate the issue (figures... pricks).

Also, after the car has warmed up and when traveling at about 20 MPH in second or third gear in a parking lot, then attempting to make slight turns, a similar thing occurs... it feels like the power steering completely goes out and I'm afraid to try to turn the wheel with any force. This is COMPLETELY terrifying... what if I needed to veer away from a kid in a residential neighborhood!?!?
aaronkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #453
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkemper View Post
Name: Aaron

Make: '05 STi

Mileage: 22K

Time Out Of Use: Still driving it... it's my only car

Problem And Likely Cause: Power steering locks up intermittently. Cold weather?

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: "Unable to replicate problem"

Your Story: Thanks for reading....

My STi has for the last week been intermittently difficult to steer (especially when cold but also after warming up, see below). It feels like the power steering fluid has frozen up briefly, then clears and returns. I also hear and feel brief "shudders" as I turn the wheel at low speeds (almost stopped in parking lots or turning while feathering the clutch into first).

I should add, I live in Madison, WI and it's been as cold as 31F below zero with the wind chill and I do not have a garage. I took it into the dealer to have them check it out and install an engine block heater (I had previously only used a battery warmer). They said that they couldn't replicate the issue (figures... pricks).

Also, after the car has warmed up and when traveling at about 20 MPH in second or third gear in a parking lot, then attempting to make slight turns, a similar thing occurs... it feels like the power steering completely goes out and I'm afraid to try to turn the wheel with any force. This is COMPLETELY terrifying... what if I needed to veer away from a kid in a residential neighborhood!?!?
This sounds like a safety issue to me.

Contact the NHTSA, your Attorney General's Office, Consumer's Union, and anyone else you can think of.

All these evil corporations understand is money, the bottom line. They will often only respond to outside force. If they think they can blow you off they will.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #454
aaronkemper
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 74853
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default

I think I should have better emphasized that this is intermittent.

I can safely operate the vehicle about 98% of the time. It's the other 2 that worries/angers me.
aaronkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:14 AM   #455
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkemper View Post
I think I should have better emphasized that this is intermittent.

I can safely operate the vehicle about 98% of the time. It's the other 2 that worries/angers me.
Yep, and my brakes work 99.98% of the time...it's that other 0.02% that really sucks, you know, when I'm running into solid objects...

Seriously, if you are having the problem you describe even once in a while, you should get SOA to fix it. It sounds dangerous.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:23 AM   #456
310Turbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 136857
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Torrance, CA
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Wagon
Urban Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkemper View Post
I think I should have better emphasized that this is intermittent.

I can safely operate the vehicle about 98% of the time. It's the other 2 that worries/angers me.
I'm not usually one to defend dealerships or service technicians, but if they've already test driven the car and inspected the steering components, what more would you have them do? If you're okay with a technician taking the car home and driving it until the issue comes up again, perhaps you could suggest this alternative. Approximately how many miles does it take between occurrences? Does anything else happen when the steering goes out (noise, a maneuver you've just completed, engine speed, vehicle speed)? I'm not doubting that you have a problem but it sucks to have an issue and take your car to a dealership that seems to not care. I'm sure they do care, but if they've run through all their diagnostics and everything is still in check, their hands are tied.

Contacting NHTSA, the AG, etc won't do you much (if any) good if this is an issue that's only affecting you and not any of the other thousands of subaru owners out there. Better to focus your energy towards an effort that has a higher likelihood of producing a desirable outcome; your car gets diagnosed and fixed.

I'm sure that you've already checked your fluid level but it might be a good idea to go through your hoses to make sure none are kinked and that they're clear of any moving components.

Best of luck!
310Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #457
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
1415 Legacy/Forester
D.Grey/White

Default A thought - (great advise ^^^^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Turbo View Post
I'm not usually one to defend dealerships or service technicians, but if they've already test driven the car and inspected the steering components, what more would you have them do? If you're okay with a technician taking the car home and driving it until the issue comes up again, perhaps you could suggest this alternative. Approximately how many miles does it take between occurrences? Does anything else happen when the steering goes out (noise, a maneuver you've just completed, engine speed, vehicle speed)? I'm not doubting that you have a problem but it sucks to have an issue and take your car to a dealership that seems to not care. I'm sure they do care, but if they've run through all their diagnostics and everything is still in check, their hands are tied.

Contacting NHTSA, the AG, etc won't do you much (if any) good if this is an issue that's only affecting you and not any of the other thousands of subaru owners out there. Better to focus your energy towards an effort that has a higher likelihood of producing a desirable outcome; your car gets diagnosed and fixed.

I'm sure that you've already checked your fluid level but it might be a good idea to go through your hoses to make sure none are kinked and that they're clear of any moving components.

Best of luck!
When I was at my dealer getting service I heard the service manager referencing Subaru technical help. I think they were on the phone with them? I also have read somewhere on these boards that there are technical people from Subaru who visit dealers. Maybe call Subaru and ask that technical help get involved? That'll do you more good than going to agency's to complain at this point. The advise above is really good IMHO. Maybe someone at Subaru has heard of this problem before and can point the dealer in the right direction to get this fixed for you. good luck and let us know how it works out.
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #458
subi05wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 141164
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: L.A.,CA
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru Wrx Sedn
OGwrxBLU & i Piz On Evo's

Default Coolant to Knocking Problems

Name: Peter

Make: '05 Subaru Impreza Wrx Sedan

Mileage: 32,000

Time Out Of Use: April 06- feb 17, 2007

Problem And Likely Cause:
[1] 23k noticed coolant leak- not sure whats the cause checked all
the hoses and clamps seem to be okay. still leaks after
refilling up with genuine subaru coolant.
[2] 27-29k noticed Engine Knock - Not sure of the cause. knocks on low rpm , low rev,
and knock for a quick sec. after starting the ignition. Knock start after 4 mnths later
after i installed the mods.
Modifications:
1. K&N Drop in Filter
2. Hks Downpipe
3. Hks SSbov
4. Apexi N1 muffler w/ full cat-back system
Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No):
[1] coolant leak- (yes)
[2] knocking noise- (yes)
both submitted at the same time took them a week
Reason Given For Denial:
[1] coolant leak - (?) Never Mentioned it to me left me clueless.
[2] engine knock - (no) did a diagnostic test and claimed to be
a aftermarket part that caused this issue.
Your Story:
okay sorry to say but i have say in this about dealership and its big valley dodge/subaru
horrible service. i scheduled an appointment letting them know my issue over the phone
wait about 2 weeks for my schedule date. Letting them know again in person what my issue
was. then i leave it all up to them to handle their job. OKay i know i freaked up on the after
market parts but c'mon coolant leak never even brought up to me when i picked up my car all i
got was well the knocking noise is cause by your aftermarket parts so i say okay and he kept on
on going about Why this and that about aftermarket parts then he give me a $3,000 quote for my
engine fixed. Wow A big F'n A-Hole then i walked away hoping he would say wait about your
coolant leak, nope didnt do that so i drive home called the corporate office and complained about
their service and told them yeah i had aftermarket parts what about SPT i would say thats aftermarket
kuz all i know is STi is real subaru performance parts not spt. ANyhow so then person i speak to tells
me he will call me back on a confirmation # days later i lost control of my car and then i get a call
later for the conf# tells me where i want to do service at and i can drop off anytime he will let the
dealership know im on my way there. THats customer SErvice right there. THen i tell him well i crashed
my car passenger suspension banged up so ill call you back when i get it back, so now im here speaking
about these damn issues about servie at the dealership. so i will call them later to get my conf# again
kuz its been so long. Since i was able to drive my car. and i say i can understand soa but dealership
its a whole different thing. i spend money on a $25,000 car helping them out make their money than i
better get the service and quality that i want or im bitching at some1 at the dealership. THanks to everyone
that reads this post and really trying to hear me out on this
subi05wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #459
racingfish
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 60976
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Goodyear
Vehicle:
1969 LGT
FATURBO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
This sounds like a safety issue to me.

Contact the NHTSA, your Attorney General's Office, Consumer's Union, and anyone else you can think of.

All these evil corporations understand is money, the bottom line. They will often only respond to outside force. If they think they can blow you off they will.

Dont forget the Army/navy/Sherrif/and the swimming ducks.... i wonder what people did b4 power steering came along... but hey thats a diff story... could it have been that his tires were binding thats why it seems like it wasnt working??? what he should have done was to go for a ride with one of the techs to show them. now i dont know what his sit was... but its kinda hard to fix something that cant be duplicated. u cant just start throwing parts at it, that doesnt make any sense.
racingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #460
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfish View Post
Dont forget the Army/navy/Sherrif/and the swimming ducks.... i wonder what people did b4 power steering came along... but hey thats a diff story... could it have been that his tires were binding thats why it seems like it wasnt working??? what he should have done was to go for a ride with one of the techs to show them. now i dont know what his sit was... but its kinda hard to fix something that cant be duplicated. u cant just start throwing parts at it, that doesnt make any sense.
Cute.

If you notice, AFTER I posted he said:

Quote:
I think I should have better emphasized that this is intermittent.

I can safely operate the vehicle about 98% of the time. It's the other 2 that worries/angers me.
His initial post made it sound as though the problem was reoccurring regularly.

I'm not sure what makes you think his tires might be binding -- that certainly would not be an intermittent problem.

You cannot seriously compare manual steering to failed power steering. Anyone who has experienced both will tell you there is a HUGE difference.

I'm a technician. I understand that it is very difficult to diagnose intermittent problems. After reading Aaron's second post (quoted above) I realize that this may be one of those situations. That said, a quick read through this forum will show that dealer service departments are all too likely to claim "they all do that" or "We can't recreate the problem" -- especially with warranty repairs, which generally pay less. In fact, I got that same reply when I took my '02 WRX in to the Frederick Motor Company for the 'clutch judder' problem. It was doing it ALL the time when it was cold. They kept it over night and claimed that they couldn't recreate the problem.

It is all too common for dealerships to try and weasel out of warranty repairs. Maybe SOA should pay more, but we customers shouldn't be put in the middle.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:26 AM   #461
subi05wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 141164
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: L.A.,CA
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru Wrx Sedn
OGwrxBLU & i Piz On Evo's

Default Sorry about being so angry and upset.

yeah my bad just get heated everytime i think about what had happen.
Okay well i called in subaru corporate offices got what i needed to get done so ill be on my way. and y does it seem like they call the shots.
but for sure this time im guttin out all my aftermarket parts and going
back to stock. i should be gettin an sti muffler from my bro that he's not
using it so ill slap it on my car. will that cause any problems having an sti muffler on a wrx sedan? thanks again on hearing out on my thread ealier.
subi05wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #462
Noeladams
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121517
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Greenville, SC
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

lol. army, sherrif?
Noeladams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #463
Blackchaos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 117775
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fitchburg, MA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza STi
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackchaos View Post
Name: Jeremy Smith

Make: 2004 Impreza STi

Mileage: 49,6xx

Time Out Of Use: 9 days (6 days at dealer)

Problem And Likely Cause: 1) Engine (cam failure) 2) Struts

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Changes depending on who you talk to.

Your Story: Read original post...

Thank you,
Jeremy

Update: Just picked up my car on Mon (3/11/07). Had taken car to Exeter Subaru and talked directly with the service manager. (Great guy) Was told that now that the damage was done there was no way to 100% tell what caused the failure. One option he told me was that the turbo failed, causing me to lose oil. Also this could have happened within checking of the oil.

Engine has been fully rebuilt and new turbo installed. Also fixed the problem with the suspension, forgot what it was but some cheapo part. SOA still denies my warranty, but the service manager seems to be on my side. It has gone to a lawyer now. SOA told me that if it goes to court they are going to say the manual states that you are required to check your oil every 300 miles. Still cant seem to find where it says that...
Blackchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #464
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackchaos View Post
Update: Just picked up my car on Mon (3/11/07). Had taken car to Exeter Subaru and talked directly with the service manager. (Great guy) Was told that now that the damage was done there was no way to 100% tell what caused the failure. One option he told me was that the turbo failed, causing me to lose oil. Also this could have happened within checking of the oil.

Engine has been fully rebuilt and new turbo installed. Also fixed the problem with the suspension, forgot what it was but some cheapo part. SOA still denies my warranty, but the service manager seems to be on my side. It has gone to a lawyer now. SOA told me that if it goes to court they are going to say the manual states that you are required to check your oil every 300 miles. Still cant seem to find where it says that...
If the manual says to check the oil every 300 miles (and I don't know that it does) that is obviously SOA playing CYA.

Reasonable is one thing, but there is a point where a mfr's recommendations become excessive and unrealistic -- designed so that they can play 'gotcha'.

Put it this way, if they honestly think it is necessary to check the oil every 300 miles, then they don't have much faith in the quality of their engines. Most modern vehicles can go for an entire 'regular service' period of 5,000 to 7,500 miles without requiring any additional oil. After the break-in period, once the typical oil usage rate is known, I can't see any reason to check the oil more often than every 750 to 1,000 miles (unless there is an obvious leak).
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #465
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

On SOA website:

"Engine Oil
When: Every Fuel Stop Park your Subaru on a level surface and stop the engine. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and insert it again until it stops. Pull out the dipstick again and check the oil level on it. If it is below the lower level, add oil to bring it up to the upper level.
IMPORTANT:Use only engine oil with the grade and viscosity recommended in your Owner's Manual."

Out of the owners manual (06 WRX page 11-8)

"Checking the oil level
Check the engine oil level at each fuel stop."

AND, just for giggles...

Out of a 2003 Mazda MPV owners manual:

"the owner or qualified service technician should make these vehicle inspections at the indicated intervals to ensure safe and dependable operation.

WHEN REFUELING:
*brake fluid level
*engine coolant level
*engine oil level
*washer fluid level

AT LEAST MONTHLY:
*tire inflation pressures

I know it seems ridiculous, and I agree.....but all manufacturers basically say the same thing....
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:36 AM   #466
StiLimited
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121212
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Urban Gray Metallic

Default Alignment / pulling problems

Name: Eric

Make: 07 sti limited

Mileage: At 500 miles and at 3000 miles

Time Out Of Use: 1 day first time, 3 hours 2nd time.

Problem And Likely Cause: car pulls to the left, ie, not properly aligned.

Modifications: nothing, bone stock.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): yes, twice

Reason Given For Denial: Claimed nothing is wrong with the car. "They are all like that."

Your Story: First time I took it in, they said "within specs" and it was tire pressure and rotated the tires. Didn't solve it. I figured I'd put some miles on it to see if it got better or worse. At 3000 miles, still does it, about the same. 2nd time I took it in, they said "within specs" and I was too sensitive of a driver. I demonstrated it to the rep there while driving the car on a flat, level, straight road, I let go of the streering wheel and the car goes left. Rep drove the car, experienced the same thing, but said it was normal. Test drove another sti, and on the same flat, straight and level road, it pulled to the right. He said they were all like this. I asked for a print out of the alignment check and they said their printer was broken. (I kid you not.) Someone wrote down "toe, camber, caster" along with 4 numbers in childlike handwriting on my receipt. For an awd, 4wheel independant suspension car like the Sti, I know there are many more details to an alignment than this.

I'm going to take it to the local Mazda dealer to see if they can fix it. They fixed the alignment issues on my wifes mazda after 3 other shops could not, so I figure it's worth a try.

At this point, I would never buy another Subaru product. Not only is it a pain holding the streering wheel right all the time to go straight, but the car rattles, creaks and shudders more than my 15 year old work truck. The dealerships lack of technical ability to solve something as basic as an alignment also makes me doubt the quality of the service available for the car for whatever service may be required in the future.
StiLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #467
StiLimited
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121212
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Urban Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean View Post
....be thankful that they "good-willed" the parts. .......and make sure you check the oil level at more frequent intervals from now on (i.e. not at 2500 miles).
Back in the old days, we had a thing called an "idiot light" that came on when the oil was low. Are you telling me today's new computerized cars won't throw a "Check Engine" light with low oil pressure?

Seems to me their safety system failed to warn you. That's what they are there for. Every car made since the 60's has an idiot light to warn you if you are low on oil.
StiLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:46 AM   #468
StiLimited
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121212
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Urban Gray Metallic

Default Subaru needs to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
I've subscribed to this thread for quite a while and I've noticed a couple things:
But...

2) It also seems that SOA is refusing to do legitimate warranty work in many cases. Either the car is bone stock or the minor mods that have been done (K&N filter, silencer removal, etc) do not affect its reliability, but they still claim the vehicle was abused. That is unacceptable, and no way to treat a customer -- if Subaru wants them to be a repeat customer.

I agree with this. Subaru sells performance parts (SPT) and many dealerships sell aftermarket items. They show lots of pictures of Subarus racing in their brochures, sponsor plenty of race teams, and really play up the performance aspect of the car. Obviously they are trying to sell to the performance people in the crowd. They then deny warranty because someone drives the car like it was meant to be driven? Come on, who are they kidding here? Why does a car need 300 hp, AWD and sticky, sticky tires? They make them that way for a reason and it's not to carpool to the little old ladies bridge game.

I agree dropping the clutch at 6grand is outside the limits of the car, missing gears and overreving the engine is another, but auto-x, canyon runs and spirited driving are in line with how subaru promotes the cars. (Sti's anyway) If these were Yugos and people tried to auto-x with them, sure, that car was never intended to be driven hard, but these cars are sold to an entirely different group of people.

Lastly, I've been reading a lot of stories about broken gears and transmissions. I've always driven domestics and this goes all the way back to big block 60's muscle cars. (mostly fords) I've NEVER broken a ford transmission or rear end. Taken out a few clutches, but they are wear items anyway so no big surprise. I've raced old fords with slicks and never broken a tranny on a mildly modified car (header, intake, cam, etc). The reason is that I always bought the top performance models. Bosses, CJ Mustangs, GT Fairlanes, etc. Those cars had the parts installed at the factory to back up their advertising claims. (And I've read a lot of the corvette forums too and I don't see them talking about these issues either.)

I think Subaru is talking out of both sides of it's mouth. They like to ramp up the hype on the potential performance of the car, (to sell the car and get your money) but then when people actually use the car and it breaks, they make the blanket claim of "abuse."

Seems to me they need to stand by their cars, all their cars, and all their customers and if the car is not up to snuff, don't blame the drivers, but make the car better. I bought the Sti because it's supposed to be their best performance model. If their best isn't good enough to carry the Subaru reputation in performance circles, then the market will know Subaru's are good for driving in the snow, but don't expect it to be a premium sports car like they claim.
StiLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 AM   #469
StiLimited
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121212
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Urban Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackchaos View Post
Last part, On friday while I was there I overheard the head maint guy talking to another maint guy. He told them they were over budget already for warranty work and very close to being audited. So they were to do as little warranty work as possible.
Humm. Interesting. I wonder what a lawyer could do with that.

Think about it.... if there really is a defect with the car, it would cause warranty claims to increase. But if Subaru has some "budget" for warranty repairs, they deny the claim. The problem with this is that Subaru's denials could be masking (statically) a real problem with the car.

Subaru might say "our testing shows we have a 1% failure rate on transmissions." However, if they deny claims to stay within that failure rate, it could be masking the real rate of failures.

Last edited by StiLimited; 03-16-2007 at 06:13 AM.
StiLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #470
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiLimited View Post
Name: Eric

Make: 07 sti limited

Mileage: At 500 miles and at 3000 miles

Time Out Of Use: 1 day first time, 3 hours 2nd time.

Problem And Likely Cause: car pulls to the left, ie, not properly aligned.

Modifications: nothing, bone stock.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): yes, twice

Reason Given For Denial: Claimed nothing is wrong with the car. "They are all like that."

Your Story: First time I took it in, they said "within specs" and it was tire pressure and rotated the tires. Didn't solve it. I figured I'd put some miles on it to see if it got better or worse. At 3000 miles, still does it, about the same. 2nd time I took it in, they said "within specs" and I was too sensitive of a driver. I demonstrated it to the rep there while driving the car on a flat, level, straight road, I let go of the streering wheel and the car goes left. Rep drove the car, experienced the same thing, but said it was normal. Test drove another sti, and on the same flat, straight and level road, it pulled to the right. He said they were all like this. I asked for a print out of the alignment check and they said their printer was broken. (I kid you not.) Someone wrote down "toe, camber, caster" along with 4 numbers in childlike handwriting on my receipt. For an awd, 4wheel independant suspension car like the Sti, I know there are many more details to an alignment than this.

I'm going to take it to the local Mazda dealer to see if they can fix it. They fixed the alignment issues on my wifes mazda after 3 other shops could not, so I figure it's worth a try.

At this point, I would never buy another Subaru product. Not only is it a pain holding the streering wheel right all the time to go straight, but the car rattles, creaks and shudders more than my 15 year old work truck. The dealerships lack of technical ability to solve something as basic as an alignment also makes me doubt the quality of the service available for the car for whatever service may be required in the future.
Very briefly, it sounds like you are getting the typical run-around. You might try another Subaru dealer before paying for the work to be done at a Mazda dealer.

Also, as far as I know, all cars with independent suspension have the same set of adjustment specs -- FWD, RWD, or AWD.

Good luck!
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #471
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiLimited View Post
Back in the old days, we had a thing called an "idiot light" that came on when the oil was low. Are you telling me today's new computerized cars won't throw a "Check Engine" light with low oil pressure?

Seems to me their safety system failed to warn you. That's what they are there for. Every car made since the 60's has an idiot light to warn you if you are low on oil.
There is no low oil light on a Subaru, or most new cars for that matter....just a low oil pressure light.
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #472
StiLimited
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121212
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Urban Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexygirl View Post
There is no low oil light on a Subaru, or most new cars for that matter....just a low oil pressure light.
Well yes, that's how the old ones worked too. And when you got down to 2-3quarts left in the pan, when you turn the oil runs awy from the pickup and the light flickers. That's your warning to stop and check the dipstick. An engine can easly live with oil starvation for a few seconds every now and then as long as you aren't at WOT. It give ample warning in my experience. So I have to ask.. why doesn't the CEL go when oil pressure dips?

Can anyone knowledgable of the ECU tell if the system monitors the oil pressure for sudden drops and does it trip a CEL? If it does not, this would be a defect on the manufacturer and Subaru could be reimbursing lots of people's money.

With that said, I can honestly say that I always chk the oil when I wash the car, which is usually every, or every other, friday.
StiLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #473
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexygirl View Post
There is no low oil light on a Subaru, or most new cars for that matter....just a low oil pressure light.
What rexygirl said.

Many people confuse low oil pressure and low oil _level_.

A car can have just one quart left in the pan and still have normal oil pressure -- at least until the driver places any significant G forces on the car, causing the oil to slosh to the front, back, or side of the pan. Then the oil pump will be sucking air and the pressure will quickly drop to zero until the oil settles back around the pick-up .

It's unlikely, but if the pump failed or a bearing spun the oil level could be at the full mark and the pressure would drop to zero.

It is very rare for a car to have an oil _level_ indication (there are a few that do however, usually luxury models). Typically, the 'idiot light' indicates low oil pressure, generally less than 10 psi or so.

Years ago it was common for vehicles to have an oil pressure gauge in addition to or instead of a light. Of course, many still do have gauges -- mostly trucks and some sports cars.

Personally, I like the idea of having both -- the gauge to give you more usable info like what's happening to the oil pressure level as it heats up or as it gets some miles on it, and the light to get your attention if you aren't looking at the gauge when something nasty happens.

[Edit: Sorry, posted before I read StiLimited's post above.]
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #474
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

I'm not sure whether low oil pressure will cause the CE light to come on, but it should definitely cause the little red 'oil can' light to shine brightly.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #475
bo9877
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 31452
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy L FWD
Power Windows & Locks!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiLimited View Post
Lastly, I've been reading a lot of stories about broken gears and transmissions. I've always driven domestics and this goes all the way back to big block 60's muscle cars. (mostly fords) I've NEVER broken a ford transmission or rear end. Taken out a few clutches, but they are wear items anyway so no big surprise. I've raced old fords with slicks and never broken a tranny on a mildly modified car (header, intake, cam, etc). The reason is that I always bought the top performance models. Bosses, CJ Mustangs, GT Fairlanes, etc. Those cars had the parts installed at the factory to back up their advertising claims. (And I've read a lot of the corvette forums too and I don't see them talking about these issues either.)

I think Subaru is talking out of both sides of it's mouth. They like to ramp up the hype on the potential performance of the car, (to sell the car and get your money) but then when people actually use the car and it breaks, they make the blanket claim of "abuse."
In all of the domestic cars you've driven and never broken a tranny in, were any of them AWD cars? There is a reason you'll hear of more broken trannies on an AWD car as opposed to a RWD or FWD car. Generally, when a non-AWD car is overrevved, the tires will break loose, expending the excess torque and not causing any any damage to the tranny. Now, the Subaru AWD system is specifically designed to not allow the tires to break loose. When the system detects slippage occurring, it will attempt to transfer the power to another wheel. But if all the wheels are on the verge of breaking loose, there is nowhere to transfer the power to. Any excess torque generated by revving up the engine will not get released in the same manner as a RWD or FWD car, and will escape through the next weak link up the chain. On the WRX, it is usually the transmission gears. On the STi, with its substantially beefier transmission, that weak link is usually the rear axles. You will very rarely hear of an STi with broken tranny gears. You cannot directly compare FWD/RWD cars to AWD cars when discussing the topic of breaking transmissions.

Now, were the trannies in the Bosses, CJ Mustangs, GT Fairlanes, etc. beefier than that found in the WRX? Yes, they were. I myself am very familiar with M55 Rockcrusher transmission found in the 1967 427/435 Big Block Corvette. That thing is a monster! That being said, the WRX transmission was designed to handle most of what is thrown at it under normal and close-to-normal situations. Driven properly, the WRX transmission can handle more power, but you have to adjust your driving style. The STi, on the other hand, is built to take extremely large amounts of power. You will not hear of an STi tranny breaking gears very often. The way it is built is similar to the heavy-duty trannies of the '60s, in that it is very, very sturdy. You can find many STi trannies taking large amounts of horsepower over the stock levels.

In short, damage on AWD trannies vs. RWD/FWD trannies....very different situations.
bo9877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Body/Exterior of Vehicle North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 140 07-12-2016 10:53 AM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Electrical (Lighting, ECU, Sensors, Etc.) North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 110 03-12-2016 01:48 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Interior North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 66 03-05-2016 01:04 AM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Braking System North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 83 05-03-2015 08:24 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Suspension North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 52 08-13-2014 06:05 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.