Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #1776
Quik265
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189662
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2012 S4
Monsoon

Default

^dude, the fact that you keep posting the exact same line over and over again is getting really annoying.. do you think it was clever?? and thats why the broken record..?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Quik265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #1777
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Incorrect? Facts

If you search your profile and click on your post history it tells you where you have posted.

Over the years I have worked for a Subaru/Kia dealer, an Acura dealer and a Toyota dealer. What is your point?
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #1778
oreos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 184380
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
Incorrect? Facts

If you search your profile and click on your post history it tells you where you have posted.

Over the years I have worked for a Subaru/Kia dealer, an Acura dealer and a Toyota dealer. What is your point?
Thought you were going to ignore; but think a fair question. Two of your four listed are "manufacturers" earning respect now. One more had "manufacturer" been on the list previously. Expect you can calculate which is which. The other part of the equation is the "dealership" including the initial sale and the later service. You personally appear to be quite knowledgeable in your field and hopefully treat your customers well. Some may not. Unfortunate that you often have to advise people in this forum what they need to do to get their car working at the proper cost as it was promised and sometimes even with your suggestions that doesn't happen. Some manufacturers and dealerships treat both their staff and customer much better than do others. Expect you know that given your varied experience.
oreos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #1779
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

I have you on ignore, but I also can chose to read your tidbits if I desire.

Yes I treat my customers very well and why I trend a good CSI score where I work. Yes, I do post on here to help people out and what to expect because that is what this forum is for. Not that Subaru is a bad product but because not every dealership employs people that fully know their job or care enough. Just like many others, I have seen it at every establishment I have worked at including the Acura dealership(which they are well known for being a horrible dealership in our area and why I left among other things). However, that is not SOA or the manufacturers fault because in every industry this happens and there are bad experiences everywhere.

I also contribute throughout the forum and many other non subaru ones as a whole because I am a car guy as well. So why are you on this site? You only post in this thread or the WWP 99 thread and nowhere else. Why is that?
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #1780
shifterracer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 221441
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Name: Michael Horn

Make: 2006 Impreza STI

Mileage: 59,642

Time Out Of Use: 1 week

Problem And Likely Cause: Blown motor, # 4 cylinder test 35psi, others 125/126.

Modifications: Cat back and spt intake are the only modes I installed.
Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: He said I missed a shift, which I didnít. I asked him to prove it and he said he didnít have to.


Your Story: 4 weeks ago when passing a truck (5 gear/rpm @4500 I would guess) the check engine light came on and I started to run on 3 cylinders. Took it to a shop (not a dealership) because I thought it was just a coil that went bad. The shop tested the coil and it checked out fine. He pulled the plugs and the #4 plug had lost the gap and was not firing anymore. He did a compression check on all 4 and they were fine. He also put a scope down it to see if the plug had hit the piston. He said it didnít look like it had and just figured that cylinder went lean for some reason, and since the plugs almost had 60k on them it just wore out.


Forward 4 weeks (about 200 miles of driving)and again i was passing a car that was getting off the freeway while I was going to get on it (4th gear coming off one freeway getting onto another freeway). I gave it full gas in 4th gear so I could merge with the traffic that was doing 65. When I stood on it I was doing about 35-40 in 4th gear. I held 4th until about 5500 rpm then shifted to 6th (didnít miss the shift)as I was up to speed. The check engine light came on and it was running real bad at that point. I nursed it home then had it towed to cascade Subaru where they told me they wouldnít warranty it. In fact they wanted $600 to pull the head just to tell me what damage was done to it!

Should I take this up with the SOA?
shifterracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #1781
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Yes. Whenever a warranty denial is given, there has to be proof and it has to be given, so that advisor is a dickbag and a moron. I can't just deny warranty claims and not give proof on why it was denied What a jackass

Call SOA. They are the only ones who can deny the claim anyways, a dealer can not. Get them involved.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #1782
shifterracer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 221441
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

thanks blackfang, would you happen to have thier number? I tried searching for it but i couldn't find it
shifterracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #1783
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

1-800-782-2783
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #1784
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

I swear - - I'm not breaking your chops. Especially because you are a 'newbie' - (me too - been around awhile but I don't post much)- but..it wouldn't be the first time someone from a dealership noticed something on a forum like this. and..looking at your post history, it just made me chuckle a little bit. Just a little. Like, I wanted to ask if this 'problem' started in the morning? Anyway - Subaru people at the 800 number have been known, via these boards, to be helpful and seem to make decisions based on facts - so you'll probably be fine once they are involved. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...8#post32248438
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #1785
oreos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 184380
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
I have you on ignore, but I also can chose to read your tidbits if I desire.

Yes I treat my customers very well and why I trend a good CSI score where I work. Yes, I do post on here to help people out and what to expect because that is what this forum is for. Not that Subaru is a bad product but because not every dealership employs people that fully know their job or care enough. Just like many others, I have seen it at every establishment I have worked at including the Acura dealership(which they are well known for being a horrible dealership in our area and why I left among other things). However, that is not SOA or the manufacturers fault because in every industry this happens and there are bad experiences everywhere.

I also contribute throughout the forum and many other non subaru ones as a whole because I am a car guy as well. So why are you on this site? You only post in this thread or the WWP 99 thread and nowhere else. Why is that?
And similarly, I you.

Very respectfully, from your posts and those you referenced, expect the answers to the questions you posed might be quite obvious to you.
oreos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #1786
tt_ttf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4431
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lynnwood,WA,USA
Vehicle:
MY07 STi and '06 WRX
Urban Grey & WRC Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Omaha View Post
Cars 101 - Joe Spitz has this disclaimer and all should read/heed it.

"Please read - this independent, unofficial, unauthorized Subaru research site is by Joe Spitz, and is designed to help you learn about Subarus. It is not sponsored, authorized, supported or approved by Subaru or any dealer and is not connected to, affiliated with or supported by a dealer. Always contact your local dealer. Inspect any car prior to purchasing. Information is always subject to change, correction, updating."

Despite the disclaimer, I find his site one of the most informative - even though there may be some typos regarding prices and other matters. All in all, IMHO, the best source of information about Subaru Products in North America.

G-
Despite the disclaimer.....

Joe has worked at Carter Subaru one of the biggest subaru dealership for a while - personally bought 3 WRX/STi's from him.

So while the site is not affiliated - the sources are solid
tt_ttf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #1787
BoostnBooze
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183403
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: L.I, N.Y
Vehicle:
2007 WRX ltd. stage?
WRB

Default

I brought my car into Subaru the other day because I was hearing a clicking noise coming from 3rd gear. they said they would check it out and call me back later. once thy did they said it is something internal in the transmission and the only way for them to see the problem is to remove the trans and open it up. However here is where it gets a bit shady and where I want some advice. they aren't going to to that until I sign a waiver saying that if they open it up and find a stripped gear they are calling it abuse and it won't be covered under warranty. if that is the case they will then make me pay $500.00 just for their labor of taking out the transmission and opening it up. if I decide to not have it repaired I would also need to get it towed back to my house. however if it is covered under warranty everything will be paid for. I feel like I have no other option but to sign this waiver. Is this normal procedure?
BoostnBooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #1788
tnhunter2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265487
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2006 Evo MR
Graphite Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostnBooze View Post
I brought my car into Subaru the other day because I was hearing a clicking noise coming from 3rd gear. they said they would check it out and call me back later. once thy did they said it is something internal in the transmission and the only way for them to see the problem is to remove the trans and open it up. However here is where it gets a bit shady and where I want some advice. they aren't going to to that until I sign a waiver saying that if they open it up and find a stripped gear they are calling it abuse and it won't be covered under warranty. if that is the case they will then make me pay $500.00 just for their labor of taking out the transmission and opening it up. if I decide to not have it repaired I would also need to get it towed back to my house. however if it is covered under warranty everything will be paid for. I feel like I have no other option but to sign this waiver. Is this normal procedure?

Dude, dont sign it. Its probably something that they know they will have a hard time getting paid for through warranty and they just want to make sure they get their money from someone. Go to another dealer if you have one. If it has warrant still\, then it should be covered. Call SOA or tell the dealer you will call SOA and see what they say.
tnhunter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #1789
BadTrainDriver
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 201416
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Dublin, OH
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza L
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostnBooze View Post
I brought my car into Subaru the other day because I was hearing a clicking noise coming from 3rd gear. they said they would check it out and call me back later. once thy did they said it is something internal in the transmission and the only way for them to see the problem is to remove the trans and open it up. However here is where it gets a bit shady and where I want some advice. they aren't going to to that until I sign a waiver saying that if they open it up and find a stripped gear they are calling it abuse and it won't be covered under warranty. if that is the case they will then make me pay $500.00 just for their labor of taking out the transmission and opening it up. if I decide to not have it repaired I would also need to get it towed back to my house. however if it is covered under warranty everything will be paid for. I feel like I have no other option but to sign this waiver. Is this normal procedure?

Are you running more power than stock?
If so...doubt they will warranty it.
If you're not, it should be covered, no questions asked.

BTD.
BadTrainDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #1790
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostnBooze View Post
I brought my car into Subaru the other day because I was hearing a clicking noise coming from 3rd gear. they said they would check it out and call me back later. once thy did they said it is something internal in the transmission and the only way for them to see the problem is to remove the trans and open it up. However here is where it gets a bit shady and where I want some advice. they aren't going to to that until I sign a waiver saying that if they open it up and find a stripped gear they are calling it abuse and it won't be covered under warranty. if that is the case they will then make me pay $500.00 just for their labor of taking out the transmission and opening it up. if I decide to not have it repaired I would also need to get it towed back to my house. however if it is covered under warranty everything will be paid for. I feel like I have no other option but to sign this waiver. Is this normal procedure?
If it's denied by SOA, then someone has to pay the technician for his time to tear down the transmission.

If you haven't abused it, then you have nothing to worry about.

You can contact SOA and see if they will waive it, but if not, then you would be responsible for it.

If it's not under warranty, and you decide not to fix it with them, you can either tow in home in pieces or pay them to put it back together (if possible)
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #1791
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Boost. I pm'd you back on the procedures which is pretty spot on with what Kelly aka Rexy said. I work for a different manufacture now since leaving a Subaru dealer last year, but I doubt their policy has changed. Kelly is still a Subaru Service Advisor and she is also knowledgeable on Subaru's policy.

Hope this helps.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #1792
BoostnBooze
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183403
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: L.I, N.Y
Vehicle:
2007 WRX ltd. stage?
WRB

Default

^ hey i got it and i really appreciate your input. i did call soa and they told me the same thing the dealer did that the $500.00 is regular procedure. No i dont have any mods on it except for a k&n short ram intake and springs
BoostnBooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #1793
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Yes, but they can waive that fee being they are the ones requesting the teardown. I have seen them do it.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #1794
D1String
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 255825
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default 1st gear

ok, so i havent posted much on here, but i read a lot on here every other day.
I have an 06 WRX that i bought used from a dealer. Its 3'' all the back, Turbo timer installed, ECU apparently has had work done, sold it to me with no cats on it either, which i got threw BAR, that was when i found out it was tuned as well.

Long story short, my first gear is sounds like there is a knocking sound. But then every other gear sounds perfect.

I never downshift into first, and i dont ride first gear a lot, it rides fine, just sounds like a lawn mower until i shift to second.

the dealer sold me the extended warranty with all this crap on the car, ( i was naive at the time) they said i would be fine if anything happened. On paper im still under warranty but does this whole situation put me at risk if tranny is bad. or first gear etc... seeing that they sold me the vehicle with all these mods w/ an extended warranty?
D1String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #1795
Kean
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25187
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: So. CA
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1String
ok, so i havent posted much on here, but i read a lot on here every other day.
I have an 06 WRX that i bought used from a dealer. Its 3'' all the back, Turbo timer installed, ECU apparently has had work done, sold it to me with no cats on it either, which i got threw BAR, that was when i found out it was tuned as well.

Long story short, my first gear is sounds like there is a knocking sound. But then every other gear sounds perfect.

I never downshift into first, and i dont ride first gear a lot, it rides fine, just sounds like a lawn mower until i shift to second.

the dealer sold me the extended warranty with all this crap on the car, ( i was naive at the time) they said i would be fine if anything happened. On paper im still under warranty but does this whole situation put me at risk if tranny is bad. or first gear etc... seeing that they sold me the vehicle with all these mods w/ an extended warranty?
....unless the warranty you purchased mentions such modifications, you are at risk of being denied. You should have got it in writing vs. the dealer simply saying you'll be "ok". Read your warranty to see what it actually covers.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #1796
TFBHTMFSNE
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 156086
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1String View Post
I have an 06 WRX that i bought used from a dealer. Its 3'' all the back, Turbo timer installed, ECU apparently has had work done, sold it to me with no cats on it either, which i got threw BAR, that was when i found out it was tuned as well.
I don't know your location, but if it's in the US, a dealer cannot legally sell you a car knowing that factory emissions devices (catalytic converters) have been removed, unless it's specified for off-road use only.

It sounds to me like the dealer pocketed the money you spent on the extended warranty, and will cover any minor repair you will need themselves, as long as it costs less than what they charged you. I'd bet that if you called the warranty company, they've never heard of you or your car. It wouldn't be the first time some shady dealer pulled this.
TFBHTMFSNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #1797
D1String
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 255825
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

It was south coast Subaru in Costa Mesa CA.
Because of them i feel sorry for the next salesman i have to deal with later on down the road.

I had to Get the Bureau of Automotive repair involved to get it settled. Apparently because the vehicle was an 06' and newer they dont have to do emissions tests on it. but they were still in violation of several laws and i was close to getting a lawyer and they finally gave me a brand new exhaust system.
Im covered (or supposed to be) by the classic powertrain warranty until i hit about 92k, it only says im s.o.l if the modifications caused the break down. which would be impossible. and i have enough mileage on the car i can claim the right of normal wear and tear seeing that im at 85000.

Well see what happens, i take her in on monday. I now live in Salt Lake City.
D1String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #1798
D1String
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 255825
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Cause, chipped tooth in first gear.

Warranty: yes

Denied: uppipe,downpipe,oversized intercooler, bov.
(Car was sold to me in this condition from dealer)

Warranty only says modifications that caused the breakdown are illigible.
Now dealership says they will call soa for me. I have proof that the dealership sold me the car in the state that it is in.
Am I better off calling soa myself or trust the stealer ship. This is not the same dealer who sold my car.
I have proof through bureau of automotive repair....
D1String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #1799
rhoadie91
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 275485
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Plymouth Meeting PA
Vehicle:
2007 Duramax
Silver

Default

Name: Dave Rhoadarmer

Make: Mileage: 2007 STI, 23,3xx mi

Time Out Of Use: so far 4 days

Problem And Likely Cause: No oil in motor, motor siezed up

Modifications: cat back exhaust

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Oil change recites did not have a vin # and the milage didnt match ( i threw out the actual recits and got the shop to re rite me recits, i know the shop owner well and paid cash so he didnt keep the actual recites).


Your Story: I've only owned this car since september 2010. bought it with 11k on it; at 15k a gasket blew in turbo, warrenty work new turbo and cat, 20k had to replace brakes and rotors all around (out of pocket) 23k motor siezed due to no oil ... saturday morning i checked the oil and it was above the add line, drove around all day with no problems car ran fine, around 5p it wouldnt build boost and then shut off. towed to dealer ship and they couldnt get me rental bc it was a saturday. Monday they called me and asked for the oil change recits which i didnt keep. So i went to the shop that did the oil change and they re wrote me recits. Today (tuesday) i called them and they said that the job was not warrenty bc the recits were fake, didnt have vin# and the milage didnt match up...idk wat the didnt match up with but i did have the oil changed every 4500 mi with synthetic. I tore my house apart trying to find the original recits but cant and idk wat to do and am freaking out bc now im stuck with a car with a blown motor.
Should I take this up with the SOA?
rhoadie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #1800
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Tough to say. It is your responsibility to maintain proof that you performed the maintenance. You can ask for some goodwill assistance. Also you should be changing your oil every 3750 miles.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Electrical (Lighting, ECU, Sensors, Etc.) North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 91 Yesterday 09:45 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Suspension North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 52 08-13-2014 07:05 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Body/Exterior of Vehicle North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 131 05-07-2014 11:18 AM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Braking System North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 82 04-27-2014 09:34 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Interior North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 58 01-12-2013 06:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.