Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #51
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK-Wagon
Key needs to be programed to the ECU. You didnt say anything about it being programed to that! Doesnt matter if you used the same key and ignition from the new stuff you bought if you used the origional ECU from youre car!

If you used a different ECU and it came from the car in which the new harness came from, I still suggest checking that it is properly programed to it.

BTW, at 22 I was already a Subaru Master tech (im 29 now and still doing it)..... Ive been turning wrenches since i was 7 years old. Built my first Blown small block Chevy Engine when i was 13. Dont discredit people that fast. You dont want people assuming you that you were probably some Base camp hero in the Military who sat behind a TV screen calling him self a War vet now would you? No you wouldnt.
The ignition, immobilizer, ecu and keys are from an 06 sti and the harness is from a stock 05 sti
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #52
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfire

If you were in Houston I'd already be there. I love a good challenge. I edited my post above. More things to check.
Thanks I was stationed in OKC. I'm thinking bringing it to a shop. I'm not an engineer just a radio technician for the last 5 years. I'm not being snide just more frustrated than ever.
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #53
bdearnley
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36788
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2012 WRX hatch

Default

Has to be a dead cam or crank sensor
bdearnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #54
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdearnley
Has to be a dead cam or crank sensor
How does that happen?
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #55
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Cromwell
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanorbust

How does that happen?
Sometimes, parts break.
Psychoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #56
BYoungSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329638
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West Richland, WA
Vehicle:
06 Wrx STI
USGM

Default

I would think that if it was an security thing it would cut fuel not spark, right? Im guessing you have a bad crank or cam sensor..... they are plugged in correct? What kind of code scanner did you use to check for codes?
BYoungSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #57
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoungSTI
I would think that if it was an security thing it would cut fuel not spark, right? Im guessing you have a bad crank or cam sensor..... they are plugged in correct? What kind of code scanner did you use to check for codes?
Yes they r plugged in. Just the orange obd2 scanner. No cel's. Maybe I should get some new sensors maybe? Bc I can check to see if it's getting voltage thru the connector but how can I check to see if those sensors r working or not?
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #58
BYoungSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329638
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West Richland, WA
Vehicle:
06 Wrx STI
USGM

Default

You would have to use a scope and watch the waveforms, sometimes the cheap odb2 scanners wont read all faults, just most common ones
BYoungSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #59
bdearnley
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36788
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2012 WRX hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanorbust View Post
How does that happen?
Not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that if one of those sensors is dead then the spark won't happen because that is how it knows when to trigger the spark. Wouldn't hurt to replace them if they are not too expensive.
bdearnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #60
smiththrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299848
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: frisco, TX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 345/400
Black

Default

This 23 year old kid has done more to subies than your pog boot ass has ever done. If you continue to be a huge ass no body is going to help you. I learned how to save my money when I was a marine, you should learn too, then you could buy a new car like this 23 year old veteran kid.
smiththrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #61
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiththrs
This 23 year old kid has done more to subies than your pog boot ass has ever done. If you continue to be a huge ass no body is going to help you. I learned how to save my money when I was a marine, you should learn too, then you could buy a new car like this 23 year old veteran kid.
Good job. Good for you. I'm happy for you. Be a part of the solution. I'm sure you've heard that from your CO. I respect Marines, I've got many friends who are and always will be. On that note, you should also respect the fact that I'm also a veteran that has worked with Marines, Navy, and Army since I'm one of the very few in the Air Force that was part of such a low density high demand squadron of combat communicators that has deployed twice for over 2 years to Iraq and Afghanistan and a short tour in Haiti. Understand this, sir, I commented how I don't want my car worked on as an example I mentioned a young kid that isn't too experienced, doesn't me all kids don't have some strange insight and gifted talent to work on electrical systems, I was saying I'd just like someone very experienced to take a look at my car knowing that his vast background will give me comfort and peace of mind and get my car fixed. Do you understand my point? I'm not saying every 22 yr old kid isn't worth a damn, I just need someone that's more experienced than some people who aren't. Now that we have that cleared up. You around to come swing by and give me a hand?
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #62
Coreycarlile911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 282614
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Spokane Washington
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx sti
Black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanorbust

Good job. Good for you. I'm happy for you. Be a part of the solution. I'm sure you've heard that from your CO. I respect Marines, I've got many friends who are and always will be. On that note, you should also respect the fact that I'm also a veteran that has worked with Marines, Navy, and Army since I'm one of the very few in the Air Force that was part of such a low density high demand squadron of combat communicators that has deployed twice for over 2 years to Iraq and Afghanistan and a short tour in Haiti. Understand this, sir, I commented how I don't want my car worked on as an example I mentioned a young kid that isn't too experienced, doesn't me all kids don't have some strange insight and gifted talent to work on electrical systems, I was saying I'd just like someone very experienced to take a look at my car knowing that his vast background will give me comfort and peace of mind and get my car fixed. Do you understand my point? I'm not saying every 22 yr old kid isn't worth a damn, I just need someone that's more experienced than some people who aren't. Now that we have that cleared up. You around to come swing by and give me a hand?
Dont worry im 22 and am not offended..lol i actually understand what your talking about cuz the majorty of kids my age really like to act like they know it all bout these cars and some they stuff they tell me is just crazy. but seriously if your looking for comfort and peace of mind get in contact with the guys at cobb. I really dont think you can be in better hands when working with them.
Coreycarlile911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #63
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreycarlile911

Dont worry im 22 and am not offended..lol i actually understand what your talking about cuz the majorty of kids my age really like to act like they know it all bout these cars and some they stuff they tell me is just crazy. but seriously if your looking for comfort and peace of mind get in contact with the guys at cobb. I really dont think you can be in better hands when working with them.
My friend at Gtspec recommended EFI Logics since I'm in NY. I'm gonna get it checked out first at GTspec then if they can't do it then flatbedding it to Connecticut. Thanks I appreciate the insight. My brother said I'd catch a lot of flak here on Nasioc. Instead of people's mouths running I'd like to see if they can put their money where the wrench is. I'll BBQ some steaks and a 6 pack for anyone that thinks they are up to a challenge and be their best friend. Anyways, thanks.
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #64
Shtbxr255
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291395
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hudson, NH
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy Spec B
QSM

Default

Only things I can think of may be cam sensor/crank sensor/ some other sensor that isn't getting the right signal. I had an 05 STI come in last year that did crank, no start. I reregistered the key, and boom! it's not too expensive, but it may be worth a shot.
Shtbxr255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #65
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtbxr255
Only things I can think of may be cam sensor/crank sensor/ some other sensor that isn't getting the right signal. I had an 05 STI come in last year that did crank, no start. I reregistered the key, and boom! it's not too expensive, but it may be worth a shot.
Hmm so replace sensors and get keys re registered?
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #66
Shtbxr255
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291395
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hudson, NH
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy Spec B
QSM

Default

just make sure there are signals from crank/cams sensors. at least check the connections. The key register is important as well.
Shtbxr255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #67
Coreycarlile911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 282614
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Spokane Washington
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx sti
Black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanorbust

My friend at Gtspec recommended EFI Logics since I'm in NY. I'm gonna get it checked out first at GTspec then if they can't do it then flatbedding it to Connecticut. Thanks I appreciate the insight. My brother said I'd catch a lot of flak here on Nasioc. Instead of people's mouths running I'd like to see if they can put their money where the wrench is. I'll BBQ some steaks and a 6 pack for anyone that thinks they are up to a challenge and be their best friend. Anyways, thanks.
Ya efi is also great im going to one of there tuning classes soon. But ya nasioc is famous for a bunch of sti/ken block/monster etc. fanboys that dont know anything about the sti mommy and daddy bought them. So insted post a bunch of meaningless bs to make people like me very frustrated.lol hope ya figure it out tho good luck
Coreycarlile911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #68
BYoungSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329638
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West Richland, WA
Vehicle:
06 Wrx STI
USGM

Default

Did you put both the engine harness's next to each other and make sure all the connectors/pins are the same? Depending on the models somtimes they can only be off by 1 connector but still fit the same car....
BYoungSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #69
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoungSTI
Did you put both the engine harness's next to each other and make sure all the connectors/pins are the same? Depending on the models somtimes they can only be off by 1 connector but still fit the same car....
Yessir the replacement came out of same year and make
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #70
ToyotaMike
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286007
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island NY
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR STI Swap
OBP 399.9 WHP E85 PAS/CTC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays04WRX View Post
Have you made sure that you're getting a signal from the crank position sensor on the front of the block? Make sure that you have continuity through your new harness and that the sensor outputs some sort of voltage when cranking. I believe the ECU will not power the coilpacks without a crank signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoungSTI View Post
Are the injectors actually pulseing or are you just hearing the fuel pump run?
^^^ This

The crank position sensor is one that you need to check. Get the repair manual from Subaru and get the readings for the pin outs. If you have a bad CPS you wont have spark or injector pulse...The fuel pump may run and you may have fuel right up to the rail but it will not fire the injectors. Using a Noid light can verify this for sure.


I was Toyota tech for 6 years, and sometimes you over look simple **** and sometimes, regardless how good you might be you might need a 2nd set of eyes.

Also, if you end up needing to take it somewhere, I would recommend either Metric Subaru or Performanceautosolutions.com
ToyotaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #71
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaMike

^^^ This

The crank position sensor is one that you need to check. Get the repair manual from Subaru and get the readings for the pin outs. If you have a bad CPS you wont have spark or injector pulse...The fuel pump may run and you may have fuel right up to the rail but it will not fire the injectors. Using a Noid light can verify this for sure.

I was Toyota tech for 6 years, and sometimes you over look simple **** and sometimes, regardless how good you might be you might need a 2nd set of eyes.

Also, if you end up needing to take it somewhere, I would recommend either Metric Subaru or Performanceautosolutions.com
I pulled the crankshaft sensor and it was covered in fresh oil. No idea where that would come from. Anyways, put in a new sensor. Still only cranks with no start. I'll check voltages tomorrow gotta grab my dvm from work.
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #72
indytruckboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 192599
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Reading, PA
Vehicle:
2004 STI
2007 Outback Wagon

Default

I would say crank sensor too. But you changed it. It almost has to be the imobilizer. Those are the only two that will cancel spark and inj.
indytruckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #73
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytruckboy
I would say crank sensor too. But you changed it. It almost has to be the imobilizer. Those are the only two that will cancel spark and inj.
When I put they key in the security light goes off. Indicating that the immobilizer is in working order.
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #74
ToyotaMike
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286007
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island NY
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR STI Swap
OBP 399.9 WHP E85 PAS/CTC

Default

I would definitely look into this immobilizer next. But make sure you still have the proper values from the CPS and computer.
ToyotaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #75
deanorbust
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 186025
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Levittown, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaMike
I would definitely look into this immobilizer next. But make sure you still have the proper values from the CPS and computer.
The dealer would be able to reprogram the immobilizer to match the key and ecu? Even tho they came from a matching vehicle? Also, I don't have the vin from the donor car. dont u need the vin to get that stuff reprogrammed?
deanorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.