Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
BluewaterAWD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 262210
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:

Default Scoobies for Boobies - Shipping Costs

Does anyone have any information on how a member in Canada can donate by picking up some vinyl, but not be gouged on the shipping..

I recently asked a question on their Facebook page as I attempted to order a single 8" vinyl sticker. $4.50 for the sticker - $35 in shipping charges

I inquired, and this is their answer :
Scoobies for Boobies Yes, unfortunately due to the high expense of shipping internationally that charge is correct.

So, is it time for the users north of the 49th to (re)focus their efforts on our national breast cancer program? That's just ridiculous. It's the one decal I was going to put a windshield for a cause I believe in, just I refuse to give them $35 for shipping when that $35 can actually go to a charity. I live in Ontario, in a border city. I can hit a golf ball into the USA. My replacement Brembo's shipped for cheaper then that
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BluewaterAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Member#: 139955
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

It was a compromise between not shipping internationally at all. For some reason, there has been a high rate of issues with shipping to Canada, either items taking literally months to arrive, or not arriving at all. This, combined with the not being able to track the mail once it crosses the border means lots of headaches on our hands.
vision.dynamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Scoobies for Boobies
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316568

Khanh forgot to mention in his post that he runs KHD Photo - the company that currently runs the vinyl fundraiser that donates to Scoobies for Boobies.

Shipping for vinyl is through USPS. Insurance through USPS cannot be purchased on a normal size stamped envelope and unfortunately we have had shipping issues to places in Canada, Australia and other countries. While Khanh donates much time and energy to Scoobies for Boobies he does have to keep his business in mind and unfortunately shipping internationally at this time is either not an option or higher priced for coverage purposes. I'm sure the company who shipped your Brembo's is a larger operation than KHD Photo and has more shipping options.

We continue to try to find a way to make the smaller businesses who work so hard for Scoobies for Boobies be able to offer international shipping and we hope to find a good solution!

My suggestion would be a group buy with your local chapter. We have worked before with regional forums in the US for products. I bet shipping would be much more reasonable for you in this fashion. If you would like to discuss group buy options, please email me at: sarah at scoobiesforboobies dot org.

I received your PM - please do not hesitate to email me with any other questions or concerns! Michelle is also available at info at scoobiesforboobies dot org.

Thank you SO much for your interest and support.

Cheers!
Sarah (xxthat girlxx)/Team SFB

Last edited by Scoobies for Boobies; 09-11-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Scoobies for Boobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Our merchant agreement disallows shipping internationally without a tracking number. A standard "throw a stamp on it" envelope does not have tracking, or allow provisions for tracking. The minimum service we can use us USPS Priority Mail.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22035
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

Shipping though flat rate envelope with USPS is 13 bucks. i know as i ship there all the time. If the sticker is to big maybe make one that just fits to help out those overseas people.
PARANOID56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22035
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
It was a compromise between not shipping internationally at all. For some reason, there has been a high rate of issues with shipping to Canada, either items taking literally months to arrive, or not arriving at all. This, combined with the not being able to track the mail once it crosses the border means lots of headaches on our hands.
i will agree with all of this too. i have nothing but issues with this too. damn canada, but i still ship
PARANOID56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
BluewaterAWD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
Our merchant agreement disallows shipping internationally without a tracking number. A standard "throw a stamp on it" envelope does not have tracking, or allow provisions for tracking. The minimum service we can use us USPS Priority Mail.
Which is understood.. Oddly, I can track my USPS Priority Mail package from RallySportDirect right to my door.. COBB Shift knob, much bigger box, half your shipping price. When it crosses the border, You simply track is via canadapost.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobies for Boobies View Post
I'm sure the company who shipped your Brembo's is a larger operation than KHD Photo and has more shipping options.

We continue to try to find a way to make the smaller businesses who work so hard for Scoobies for Boobies be able to offer international shipping and we hope to find a good solution!
No, actually not. He's a pizza delivery driver at night, parts counter guy by the day in Queens NY. He's a regular joe, much like KHD. Brembo Brakes, USPS Priority, $22.

Taken directly from your FAQ
Quote:
Priority Mail is typically 2-3 business days shipping time. Tracking is provided via PayPal.

Economy shipping is shipped via USPS First Class Mail. NO TRACKING IS PROVIDED, and there will be no support for lost orders. PRIORITY MAIL IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED!
Why is it your problem when it's cleared spelled out? I've seen the thread where all hell breaks loose over late orders.

I apologize if this is coming across as a dick move ; It's not. What I am trying to do is find a suitable compromise so you don't knowingly excuse a suitable market that can help your cause. That being said, you also cannot account for those who are jackasses. I buy/sell as well and know what you are referring to.

A flat rate envelope is indeed $13, more then sufficient for your 8" vinyl.
$12.95 to be exact, $400 in coverage, tracked to my door. Your cost is more then double that. To the naked eye, it appears that KHD pads the bottom line.

I'm just going to order & send to a US address for $2.50.. What sucks is the story I'll have to explain to my fellow peers who want to be involved as well. For $35, I could set it up at a local printer myself and distribute myself.. This type of business management only forces others to look at alternative options.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Crannogman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325931
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Premium
Ice Silver

The USPS basically is a charity, so your $35 is not wasted at all
Crannogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewaterAWD View Post
Which is understood.. Oddly, I can track my USPS Priority Mail package from RallySportDirect right to my door.. COBB Shift knob, much bigger box, half your shipping price. When it crosses the border, You simply track is via canadapost.ca
I have to rely on the carrier (USPS) for tracking, per my merchant agreement.

Quote:
No, actually not. He's a pizza delivery driver at night, parts counter guy by the day in Queens NY. He's a regular joe, much like KHD. Brembo Brakes, USPS Priority, $22.
I sure certainly cant ship a set of Brembos for $22, domestically. A set of pads maybe. Anything else wouldnt happen.

Quote:
Taken directly from your FAQ

Why is it your problem when it's cleared spelled out? I've seen the thread where all hell breaks loose over late orders.
That only applies to USPS Economy AKA USPS First Class Mail. Again, per my merchant agreement, I cant ship internationally via First Class so that clause doesnt apply to international shipping at all.

Quote:
I apologize if this is coming across as a dick move ; It's not. What I am trying to do is find a suitable compromise so you don't knowingly excuse a suitable market that can help your cause. That being said, you also cannot account for those who are jackasses. I buy/sell as well and know what you are referring to.
I appreciate the concern, believe me, I really do. If there were a way for me to protect myself/the business/SFB and be able to ship to Canada like I used to be able to, I'd be all for it.

Quote:
A flat rate envelope is indeed $13, more then sufficient for your 8" vinyl.
$12.95 to be exact, $400 in coverage, tracked to my door. Your cost is more then double that. To the naked eye, it appears that KHD pads the bottom line.
That is the cost of the Flat Rate Envelope we use. While there is "coverage", in the case of a lost order, it takes MONTHS and jumping through MANY hoops to get a payout from USPS. I recently had to front TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS to cover for a lost Canon lens, and it took USPS over 6 months to pay me back. The extra charge is insuring the package ourselves. Before, to reship a package would cost Scoobies for Boobies money. And again, for our purposes, tracking stops at the border.

Also, there is "handling" built into the shipping charge to cover for time, fuel and materials to prep and drop off an order. The payment fees are also built into the shipping charge as theres no other place to put them.

Quote:
I'm just going to order & send to a US address for $2.50.. What sucks is the story I'll have to explain to my fellow peers who want to be involved as well. For $35, I could set it up at a local printer myself and distribute myself.. This type of business management only forces others to look at alternative options.
If you can do that, that would be great.

I wont comment on your comment about distributing them yourself. I will just say that that would be stealing from the organization.

Please understand that Im not getting rich from this. When said and done, I make in the neighborhood of $5 an hour on this project. That's half minimum wage. Thats while running tens of thousands of dollars of equipment. I produce vinyl on the bulk. Most of my projects are ordered in quantities of 1000. I never intended to sell vinyl one at a time, but I do for Scoobies for Boobies because there is meaning behind it for me personally. The webstore was set up specifically for SFB, with the other items that are listed being secondary/items that dont necessarily sell. That web store costs money to run also.

Again, I appreciate your comments and dont take them as an attack. But I have spent lots of time considering many options, and many options seem like they would work until we look deeper into it.

Last edited by vision.dynamix; 09-11-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Jordisan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291947
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
WRB

Donate and just have one made at a sticker shop by you
Jordisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
BluewaterAWD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:

Quote:
I wont comment on your comment about distributing them yourself. I will just say that that would be stealing from the organization.
This is more tongue-in-cheek. I would not steal from anyone. It was to illustrate a point.

My suggestion : Look into a Canadian point of contact whom can redistribute your offering to the masses up north. If you want to discuss further, perhaps I can be that guy for you.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Please message Sarah at scoobiesforboobies dot org regarding that!