Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Ruiner46
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 213209
Vehicle:
2007 STI
Satin White Pearl

Default Just bought 2007 STI - OTS Map question

I just purchased a 2007 STI. The car came with two protunes on an accessport, but when I checked the DAM, it was only 0.8 on one of the maps. I loaded the other map which I'm guessing is less aggressive due to the naming of the file, but the DAM has been sitting at 0.5 for two days of driving and hasn't increased yet.

I'm thinking about loading the OTS Stage 2 map (91 octane since I live in CO), but I'm a little worried about the exhaust mods that it has. The car came with a Crucial Racing catless turbo back exhaust with divorced wastegate. It also has ported and coated exhaust manifolds, and a grimmspeed high flow crosspipe. I'm not sure what the up-pipe is. No other engine mods, stock intake, injectors, VF43, intercooler, etc.

My question is: Are these exhaust mods, namely the ported manifolds and crosspipe, ok for an OTS map, or are they outside the range of safe tuning? I don't really care about power right now, I just want a safe tune to daily drive on for a few months until I can afford a few mods and a dyno tune from my tuner.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ruiner46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Ruiner46
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Satin White Pearl

Ok, I reloaded the original protune map and did a datalog today starting in 3rd and shifting to 4th. The only concern I have is a little bit of knock after the shift from 3rd to 4th when I still have a DAM of 0.5. Is it normal to get knock before the timing has even increased?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...W50YzhEYVpHb0E

Last edited by Ruiner46; 09-17-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner46 View Post
Ok, I reloaded the original protune map and did a datalog today starting in 3rd and shifting to 4th. The only concern I have is a little bit of knock after the shift from 3rd to 4th when I still have a DAM of 0.5. Is it normal to get knock before the timing has even increased?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...W50YzhEYVpHb0E
A single count of feedback knock is fairly common on or shortly after hard shifts (or when mashing the throttle) and is generally just noise. The log looks fine, except for the DAM being 0.5. The DAM will reset to the default (determined by the map) when you reflash the map, so it is hard to say whether or not it has dropped due to knock or has just not learned up to 1.0 yet. You could reset the ECU (via troubleshooting menu) and then immediately look at the DAM. If it is at 0.5, then that would be the reset default. If it goes up, then your DAM has dropped. 0.5 is the factory default, but often tuners will raise this (not always, but not an uncommon change).

Your mods aren't too out of scope of the map. But, if you decide to try the OTS map, I would start with the most conservative map (ACN91) and get data logs.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Ruiner46
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Satin White Pearl

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that the one knock event is ok. I did a 2nd to 3rd gear log also and there is no knock whatsoever in that map. I did reset the ecu, so that is the reason for the 0.5 DAM. This 07 STI seems to take a long time to learn compared to my old 03 WRX. The 03 would learn up to its max value within 20 minutes of driving.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner46 View Post
Thanks for the response. It's good to know that the one knock event is ok. I did a 2nd to 3rd gear log also and there is no knock whatsoever in that map. I did reset the ecu, so that is the reason for the 0.5 DAM. This 07 STI seems to take a long time to learn compared to my old 03 WRX. The 03 would learn up to its max value within 20 minutes of driving.
Try moderate, steady boost to raise the DAM. Generally, the 2.5L cars on the stock map will get up to 1.0 pretty quickly, but this speed can be impacted by specific changes to the tune, so it is possible that the custom tune is such that it takes longer.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote