Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
winglik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317022
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

Default Impreza 2013 DLR and Fog light type?

Hi all, I want to change the DLR light to white LED bulb. I want to know the bulb type? The Subaru manual didn't mention about that. Also is the DRL also the high beam?

I also want to switch out the fog light, because the stock one didn't show much difference at night. Is the foglight type as PSX24W, any good replacement? Is it hard to replace the fog light bulb?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by winglik; 09-17-2012 at 10:02 PM.
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

The DRL is the high beam which is a 9005 bulb type for the 2012. I'm pretty sure its the same for the 2013. As far as for the fog light bulbs. You don't have much options out there for the PSX24W bulb type unless you do a retrofit like I did.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
winglik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317022
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Hi JDMSTA, the 2013 is same as the 2012. I saw your post on retrofitting, you did a great job, I want to try on mine, but I'm too lazy to take apart the brand new light set. I have no complain about the stock low beam, I just try to change the fog light and the DRL to white if possible and with minimum work.

Do you use stock high beam as DRL or you changed to something else. How difficult is to change the fog light, I'm planning to do that. But the user manual didn't show any info on change the fog light. Also Do you have any idea how good these ebay LED light bulbs work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
The DRL is the high beam which is a 9005 bulb type for the 2012. I'm pretty sure its the same for the 2013. As far as for the fog light bulbs. You don't have much options out there for the PSX24W bulb type unless you do a retrofit like I did.

Last edited by winglik; 09-18-2012 at 03:35 PM.
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Thanks! Yeah I still uses the stock high beam as DRL and I just replaced the bulbs with a set of white CREE LED bulbs. To be honest, You really don't need it to be bright since its only a DRL so any LED bulbs would do in my opinion. As for the foglights. In order to gain access to the foglights. I just drive up a set of ramp and just go under the corners of the front bumper and pop out 3 clips and 1 screw for each side and you'll have complete access to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winglik View Post
Hi JDMSTA, the 2013 is same as the 2012. I saw your post on retrofitting, you did a great job, I want to try on mine, but I'm too lazy to take apart the brand new light set. I have no complain about the stock low beam, I just try to change the fog light and the DRL to white if possible and with minimum work.

Do you use stock high beam as DRL or you changed to something else. How difficult is to change the fog light, I'm planning to do that. But the user manual didn't show any info on change the fog light. Also Do you have any idea how good these ebay LED light bulbs work.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
winglik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317022
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Thanks for the info. I have a question. Isn't the stock DRL also the high beam? Does that mean they use the same bulb? or they are separate bulbs? If so, what's the DRL bulb type? I also want to get a white Cree LED as DRL, will that affect the high beam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
Thanks! Yeah I still uses the stock high beam as DRL and I just replaced the bulbs with a set of white CREE LED bulbs. To be honest, You really don't need it to be bright since its only a DRL so any LED bulbs would do in my opinion. As for the foglights. In order to gain access to the foglights. I just drive up a set of ramp and just go under the corners of the front bumper and pop out 3 clips and 1 screw for each side and you'll have complete access to it.

Last edited by winglik; 09-19-2012 at 08:08 AM.
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglik View Post
Thanks for the info. I have a question. Isn't the stock DRL also the high beam? Does that mean they use the same bulb? or they are separate bulbs? If so, what's the DRL bulb type? I also want to get a white Cree LED as DRL, will that affect the high beam?
DRL is the same as high beam so they uses the same bulb which is 9005 but DRL uses less voltage thats why it looks more dimmer than when you turn on the high beam. I don't recommend using the Cree LED as the DRL because its not as bright as your halogen bulbs when you want to use it as high beam. The reason why I use the LED bulbs on my high beam is because I had bi-xenon projectors retrofitted on my headlights so the stock high beam is pretty useless to me.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
winglik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317022
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Thanks again. That's what I thought, I guess I just stick with the DRL/High beam for now.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
DRL is the same as high beam so they uses the same bulb which is 9005 but DRL uses less voltage thats why it looks more dimmer than when you turn on the high beam. I don't recommend using the Cree LED as the DRL because its not as bright as your halogen bulbs when you want to use it as high beam. The reason why I use the LED bulbs on my high beam is because I had bi-xenon projectors retrofitted on my headlights so the stock high beam is pretty useless to me.
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
tenaciousZ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342279
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pacific NW
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglik View Post
Thanks again. That's what I thought, I guess I just stick with the DRL/High beam for now.

Thanks
to be clear, ur using a 9005 LED bulb for ur DRLs that still function as ur high beam? (i.e. stock wiring) does any lighting guru have any input on this? I'd like to have 3000K DRLs/highs but I'm hesitant to buy new bulbs to accomplish this from reading about bulb burnout issues from the difference in voltage.. 2012 impreza, btw.
tenaciousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
winglik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317022
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Mine is stock. At day time, the high beams are using as DRL at lower voltage. I was thinking to change it to HID and LED. But it's too much work and cost too much. Most people replaced their high beams bulbs with some cheap LED bulbs from eBay. And change the low beams to HID. Just search JDMSTA's post on his Awesome modification.
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
tenaciousZ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342279
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pacific NW
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Gotcha, thanks.. I've also drooled over that retrofit, btw. phenomenal work.
tenaciousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
ZURCALED12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309754
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Brewster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport L
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

I would like to explore into making the DRL's 9005 SMD & CREE bulbs. The only problem would be the voltage, since its at low voltage as a DRL and full voltage when used as a high beam. That would require two smart circuits, one for each side. I am going to look into this possibility.
ZURCALED12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
ZURCALED12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309754
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Brewster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport L
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

PSX24W I have a set of these in H.I.D. and in SMD, If you want to try them out I will ship them to you. Instead of buying these and try to figure out what you want to do. I just want projectors in my fog lights. I have not figured out a way to do this without seperating the lens from the body.
ZURCALED12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
ZURCALED12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309754
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Brewster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport L
Ice Silver Metallic

Default


Okay, here is the H.I.D. version of the bulbs in our foglight housings, just keep in mind there is NO defusser on the lens of the foglight, so you are going to get a lot of uncoming drivers flashing their high-beams at you. That is why I want to retrofit my fogs with projectors.
ZURCALED12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
ZURCALED12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309754
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Brewster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport L
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

ZURCALED12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
ZURCALED12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309754
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Brewster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport L
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

ZURCALED12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #16
azn87
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354422
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

has anyone install hid's into the fog light yet? how bright? how hot? any melting of the housing or lens? and any pics would be more then welcome
azn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
LuckyNYC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 72812
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Queens, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ventian Red Pearl

Default

Has anyone tried to fit cree led bulbs into the fog light housing? Curious if they will fit due to the weird shape

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/CREE-High-P...s-p/sku-4p.htm
LuckyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
Timmmaahh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352233
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Winchester, Virginia
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn87 View Post
has anyone install hid's into the fog light yet? how bright? how hot? any melting of the housing or lens? and any pics would be more then welcome
Yes I just recently installed hid fog lights (3000K) love it not to hot and I bought yellow lamin-x over the lens also..... ill post a pic later.....

I've tried both hid's and led's in the fogs and can say that the hid's are much better

Last edited by Timmmaahh; 04-28-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Timmmaahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
LuckyNYC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 72812
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Queens, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ventian Red Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmmaahh View Post

Yes I just recently installed hid fog lights (3000K) love it not to hot and I bought yellow lamin-x over the lens also..... ill post a pic later.....

I've tried both hid's and led's in the fogs and can say that the hid's are much better
Did you try Cree LEDs? I'm looking for more light output from the fogs but don't want to go the HID route.
LuckyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
Timmmaahh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352233
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Winchester, Virginia
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNYC View Post
Did you try Cree LEDs? I'm looking for more light output from the fogs but don't want to go the HID route.
I've never tried the Cree LED'S,,, I've always got my HID'S and LED'S from diode dynamics, never had a problem with their lights, and have great customer service.
Timmmaahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.