Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
baacke
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (6)

Member#: 212923
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 JrTuned@P&L FXT
384whp/361wtq

Angry DeatschWerks' Injectors and Customer Services Woes

Below has been my experience so far with both DeatschWerks' products and support. The issue has not been resolved, but my patience is about gone.

Background - February/March 2012
I had been talking to Paul and Aubrey from P&L Motorsports back in February of this year about my goals for my 18g Forester build, and 850cc injectors were what we decided on. What we hadn't talked about was a brand, and since P&L was big on DeatschWerks when I was there a little over a year ago, that's what I went with. So, I bought some brand new DW850cc side feed injectors in March from Circuit Motorsports.

After getting the car running (the engine was pulled for head work prior) with all the new parts and a base map from Junior, I headed over to P&L to get tuned. Yadda yadda yadda, it took a couple weeks to get a real tune because of a leak between my up-pipe and the turbo and just a lack of time.

Injector Problems
During my first dyno tune, Junior commented on the amount of hesitation and stuttering he was experiencing, and he was able to narrow it down to the injectors. At the time, however, I was just happy to finally have it running and tuned, so I went on my way.

I was, and still am, experiencing a lot of stutter and hesitation under partial throttle or small changes in throttle. For example, the moment where the computer takes over after setting the cruise control, when gently speeding up after being at a certain speed, or gentle acceleration in any lower gear. I didn't drive that much, so I was able to tolerate it... for a while.

First Contact - July 9th, 2012
I finally couldn't stand it anymore and called DeatschWerks on July 9th for support since the injectors have caused the stutter since new and were still only a few months old. I was told to submit a support ticket online, and was also told that their technical support is usually pretty fast; that I will get a response either by the end of the day or by the end of the following day. I never heard anything back.

Second Contact - July 19th
I called DeatschWerks back on July 19th to inquire about the status of my support ticket. They took my name, email, and number and said someone would be contacting me very shortly about the matter.

More Injector Problems
I ran a can of seafoam through my gas tank at the end of July, and half way through, the car was parked for a week. When I got back, the hesitation was gone, but the car ran very rich! I thought maybe the injectors were fine after all, and that I just had a bad tank of gas that clogged them up. I was pretty optimistic and thought that maybe the seafoam cleaned them out, but since it was tuned on dirty injectors, that's why it was running rich.

So, I called up P&L to schedule another tune, but Paul wasn't convinced that the seafoam fixed it; he knew there was a leak. Sure enough, they found a cracked hose during the pre-dyno inspection that must have happened when it was parked, and sure enough, the hesitation was back on the dyno. Junior did his best, but you simply can't fix a bad set of injectors with a tune.

Third Contact - September 13th
I patiently waited almost 2 months (it was easy, since I got married during this time) before contacting DeatschWerks for a third time. The same thing happened as contact number two, where I was told I would be contacted right away. I even gave them my support ticket number this time. I know it hasn't been a week yet, but understandably, I'm not confident I will ever get a response.

Lesson Learned
I've been told that DeatschWerks quality has gone down significantly in the last year, and that P&L is recommending Injector Dynamics now. I've also been told the same about DeatschWerks' customer service ("it's never the injectors, it's the tune that's the problem"). If I wasn't looking for a new job at the moment, I would have thrown these injectors in the garbage and bought some ID850s; I wouldn't feel right selling these DeatschWerks injectors to anyone.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
baacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
PoZeR
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)

Member#: 114202
Vehicle:
2006 FXT E85
LEZWAGN

I have the DeatschWerks 1300 and I get weird idle on start up. Sometimes it will seem like the injector locked open and it runs 4 points richer until I turn it on and off or it randomly wants to reset.. After every fill up I get a blinking CEL until I turn it off and on again and its worse on E85.. BOOO for DW.. I tried to return my set and even asked for the 1000cc instead but was told I would have the same issues
PoZeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Evolsoob
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 320870

I am thinking about getting some DWs, this is good to know.
Evolsoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
baacke
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (6)

Member#: 212923
Vehicle:
2004 JrTuned@P&L FXT
384whp/361wtq

Update: I'm pretty sure it's just a coincidence, but DW customer service contacted me the day after I posted this. They issued an RMA number and wanted me to send in my injectors, but my car is my daily driver, so I can't afford to have it down more than a weekend. I bought the T1 ID1000 conversion kit, and will send in the injectors after I install my new ones.
baacke is offline   Reply With Quote