Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 7, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
Therosser
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314882
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

At the Track Video: In car '12 Wrx Buttonwillow Raceway

Hey Everyone,

I did a 2 day event at Buttonwillow this last weekend and I thought I would share my experience. This was my first time on a proper road course, (some autox)

Track Configuration #1 Counterclockwise

http://youtu.be/bhk-ai86kJo

Words can not explain how much fun I had, after a few sessions learning the track and becoming more comfortable I became more aggressive, and did quite well! Its amazing how much I learned.

Car:
2012 WRX limited
TBE
Cobb intake
TP stage 2 map

Feal Coilovers

Whileline 24mm Front, 22MM rear

18x9.5 with 265-35 Toyo R1R's

Hawk HP+, High temp brake fluid

I timed it to about a 2.19 minute lap which is not half bad on Track configuration 1 CCW!

Feed back appriciated
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Therosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
Jcorp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325395
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Nice run and set up. Been thinking of the white line 24mm front, 22mm rear set up like yours, but i'll be running stock suspension. Did you notice a huge difference in the characteristic of the car when you added the anti roll bars? Less understeer due to the larger front sways ? My other option was to go a lil conservative and do 22mm Front/20 rear.
Jcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
mjfubar101
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 132061
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2006 STI
WRB

Default

Awesome glad you had a great time out there, I wish more subie guys would hit the track. You should check out Extreme Speeds AWD Competition myself and a few others from here are in it. We also compete in their Subie Extreme track day, last time they gave away a bunch of prizes plus it was fun to run with a bunch of subies.
www.extremespeedtrackevents.com
www.subiextreme.com
mjfubar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Therosser
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314882
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcorp View Post
Nice run and set up. Been thinking of the white line 24mm front, 22mm rear set up like yours, but i'll be running stock suspension. Did you notice a huge difference in the characteristic of the car when you added the anti roll bars? Less understeer due to the larger front sways ? My other option was to go a lil conservative and do 22mm Front/20 rear.
The 24/22 made a huge difference, The car felt much better. But I did mine along with epic lowering springs at the time.

Stock dampers work well for street use with stock tires, But when you go to a bigger/stickier tire the suspension seems to be over-worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfubar101 View Post
Awesome glad you had a great time out there, I wish more subie guys would hit the track. You should check out Extreme Speeds AWD Competition myself and a few others from here are in it. We also compete in their Subie Extreme track day, last time they gave away a bunch of prizes plus it was fun to run with a bunch of subies.
www.extremespeedtrackevents.com
www.subiextreme.com
Awesome thanks for the links!!

I May do the subiextreme in Nov, I am doing Laguna Seca next month so I will see if that cures my track day bug for the year. If Not Ill be there!
Therosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
fiatlux
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340639
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STi Sedan
WR Blue Pearl

Default

How much do you feel the tires, brakes, and coilovers helped? I was at Buttonwillow a couple months ago too and the best I could pull with my stage 2 STi was 2:22 on stock rubber and brakes, Whiteline sways, and RCE springs.
fiatlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
mjfubar101
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 132061
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2006 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
How much do you feel the tires, brakes, and coilovers helped? I was at Buttonwillow a couple months ago too and the best I could pull with my stage 2 STi was 2:22 on stock rubber and brakes, Whiteline sways, and RCE springs.
Fialux- so much to learn and do without coils. Brakes on are cars are a must go with at least a street/track pad if not just a track pad. With a stage 2 STI you have plenty of power to get you in trouble. Tires ya you can go with a rs3, star spec, kumho xs, nt05 or whatever you would like I recommend going with tire you can flip to get the most use out of it. Buttonwillow is a track with a lot of tricks. And just as a I kinda know what I am doing I have run a 1:55 at brp on street tires in my STI. Also when I was stage 2 with lowering springs I ran a 2:02.
mjfubar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
bslate3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 246271
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Crowley, TX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

How do you like the Feal 441's? What spring rates are you running? I'm looking to get these.

I have a 2011 wrx with the whiteline 24/22 combo and Dunlop z2's. It's a great setup but there is SO much pitch and dive it's crazy.
bslate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Therosser
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314882
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslate3 View Post
How do you like the Feal 441's? What spring rates are you running? I'm looking to get these. I have a 2011 wrx with the whiteline 24/22 combo and Dunlop z2's. It's a great setup but there is SO much pitch and dive it's crazy.
The Feal 441s are a great 'bank for your buck' coilover. I think the swift springs really make this coilover as well. I am using the default 8k front and rear. I am now running 275 series r888 so I will probably go to 10k springs and have them re damped next year.

I am really impressed with the communication at Feal. I have spoken with Odi a few times with questions and he is very helpful! If you are thinking entry level track\ auto cross coilover I highly recommend the 441's
Therosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Teutonic Speedracer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333819
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
Ice Silver

Default

Did you log any OBDII data while on track?
Teutonic Speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
Therosser
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314882
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic Speedracer View Post
Did you log any OBDII data while on track?
No I have not, car is tuned at 300whp and seems to run well. Why do you ask?
Therosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Teutonic Speedracer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333819
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
Ice Silver

Default

I'm currently on TP stage 2 and thought it might be a bit aggressive for track duty. Was curious to see if there was any knock and what temperatures you saw during an extended session.
Teutonic Speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Therosser
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314882
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic Speedracer View Post
I'm currently on TP stage 2 and thought it might be a bit aggressive for track duty. Was curious to see if there was any knock and what temperatures you saw during an extended session.
This thread is dated to last year and at that time I was running the TP tune. It ran well but a few months later I had #4 cylinder ringland failure at the track with the TP tune.

I am by no means blaming it in the tune, I suspect that it was due to not having any sort of catch can/air-oil separator at the time.

Now I am dyno tuned with less boost than the TP And making more power safely. I would recommend highly getting a tune on a dyno if you plan to track the car, also use good oil (I use she'll rotella t6) and an air oil separator.
Therosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Teutonic Speedracer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333819
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therosser View Post
This thread is dated to last year and at that time I was running the TP tune. It ran well but a few months later I had #4 cylinder ringland failure at the track with the TP tune.

I am by no means blaming it in the tune, I suspect that it was due to not having any sort of catch can/air-oil separator at the time.

Now I am dyno tuned with less boost than the TP And making more power safely. I would recommend highly getting a tune on a dyno if you plan to track the car, also use good oil (I use she'll rotella t6) and an air oil separator.
That seems to be the consensus. I run T6, have a Crawford AOS V2, and will be getting a new street and track tunes soon. As an added precaution, I also have injectors, killerB combo, dw65, and colder plugs.
Teutonic Speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
Therosser
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314882
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic Speedracer View Post
That seems to be the consensus. I run T6, have a Crawford AOS V2, and will be getting a new street and track tunes soon. As an added precaution, I also have injectors, killerB combo, dw65, and colder plugs.
Very nice looks like you have all bases covered. I try to use about 3-5 gallons of 100 octane at the track too.
Therosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.