Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday October 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
danstheman7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 331089
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Base
DGM/Dark Grey Metallic

Question Install/purchase steering wheel audio controls?

Question for all you 2012/2012 impreza people. I've got a base 2.0i with the base radio. I don't have any of the fancy stuff (leather, heated seats, etc) as the limited/sport model. I'd like to purchase the audio controls, but have no clue where to.

I looked on the subaruparts website, but couldn't find the part. Also, I have zero clue how to install it (and i'm assuming subaru won't install it either).

Subaru didn't seem very happy that I drilled holes in my roof as it is to put in the OEM roof rack, as it is.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
danstheman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
gt601
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 308387
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
white

You will probably have to add a harness to the car. I wouldn't think that it is a cost effective mod.
gt601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338666
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Limited
SWP/Blk Leather CVT

Right from Subaru:
http://halpertsubaruparts.com/parts/...iagram=7595290

Based on the accessories I have installed on my 2013, I would be willing to wager that it would pretty much be plug and play. It will require removing the wheel in order to complete the install. Look for my post regarding replacing my wheel with leather for directions. It is located in the Interior and exterior thread.

John

edit: There are variables that I cannot forsee, compatible head unit, etc. I'm simply showing you where to find the controls.

Last edited by Guzzi 1; 11-24-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
danstheman7
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Base
DGM/Dark Grey Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
Right from Subaru:
http://halpertsubaruparts.com/parts/...iagram=7595290

Based on the accessories I have installed on my 2013, I would be willing to wager that it would pretty much be plug and play. It will require removing the wheel in order to complete the install. Look for my post regarding replacing my wheel with leather for directions. It is located in the Interior and exterior thread.

John

edit: There are variables that I cannot forsee, compatible head unit, etc. I'm simply showing you where to find the controls.
I had looked at purchasing the part before, but a quick question...due to the fact that I don't have cruise control, would it even work?

http://halpertsubaruparts.com/parts/...ruise%20switch

And the part with the satellite is correct? (Cruise switch w/satellite)

Thanks.

Last edited by danstheman7; 11-24-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Limited
SWP/Blk Leather CVT

I'm assuming w/satellite means the controls on the opposite side. (Remote radio controls.) There are a number of wires in the connectors in the steering wheel. You would no doubt still be without cruise control, unless you found everything else to hook up to make it work. As for the radio, I can only guess that it would work. Another possibility might be to locate the controls in a salvage yard. You would be out less if the didn't work. Personally, and I very well may be full of you-know-what, my best guess is that the controls would work with a compatible head unit. Is the radio in your car the CM621UB? If so, I doubt they would create two identical units, one to work with and one not to w/w SWC.

John
Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
jwjang31
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 327285

Quote:
I'm assuming w/satellite means the controls on the opposite side. (Remote radio controls.) There are a number of wires in the connectors in the steering wheel. You would no doubt still be without cruise control, unless you found everything else to hook up to make it work. As for the radio, I can only guess that it would work. Another possibility might be to locate the controls in a salvage yard. You would be out less if the didn't work. Personally, and I very well may be full of you-know-what, my best guess is that the controls would work with a compatible head unit. Is the radio in your car the CM621UB? If so, I doubt they would create two identical units, one to work with and one not to w/w SWC.

John
keep me posted! I too own a base model and want to one day install audio/cruise control unit
jwjang31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Limited
SWP/Blk Leather CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjang31 View Post
keep me posted! I too own a base model and want to one day install audio/cruise control unit
Keep your eye on the original poster. Mine is a premium and came with the controls. I swapped out the plastic wheel for the leather.

As for wiring, it is likely there. I say LIKELY. Many years ago, it was common to have many different harnesses, but these days it is probably more cost effective to make a "one size fits all" harness and connect whatever to it. I truly would be suprised if the wiring was not sitting there.

John
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
danstheman7
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Base
DGM/Dark Grey Metallic

Quote:

John
No, that's not my radio.

Hm, Well i'm gonna contact a junkyard or two and see if they have any part. I'll update the thread when I find out what the deal is.