Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
View Poll Results: What type of gas is better for my all new BRZ 2013?
I should use gas grade 93 with 10% ethanol 7 87.50%
I should use pure gas grade 87. 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Grande
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 85875
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Default Question about which gas I should use on my BRZ

I have a BRZ Premium 2013 and I have a question about the type of gas I should use on it. There is no pure gasoline grade 93 where I live. The types of gas I can get here are grade 93 with 10% ethanol and pure gas grade 87.
Which one do you guys recommend? I sent an e-mail to Subaru today and haven't heard from them yet. I will post their recommendation as soon as I heard from them but in the meantime I would like to know your opinion as well.
Of course this question applies for WRX's and STI's as well.
PS: I just refilled the tank with 87 grade pure.
Thank you very much!
Best,
Luiz
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Grande; 09-21-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Counterfit
Scooby Guru

Member#: 124254
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 06 SGM Slowbaru
"The Scoobinator"

It should say somewhere in the manual what Subaru recommends/requires. I'd go with that.
Counterfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Grande
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit View Post
It should say somewhere in the manual what Subaru recommends/requires. I'd go with that.
The manual says:
Use 87 unleaded
93 recommended,
but does not mention the ethanol mixture.
I believe this ethanol thing is something recently used in the US.
As I mentioned in my question, I submit this question to Subaru Technical. Lets see what they have to say.

Last edited by Grande; 09-21-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Ralph47
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 214774
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

The ethanol shouldnt be a big issue if you use it often enough. Most ethanol issues are caused by the fuel sitting and giving the ethanol time to degrade the gaskets...

I would use 93 as that is recommended, if you do not drive it a lot then you can use a stabilizer to neutralize the effects of the ethanol.
Ralph47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Layvon
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 195711
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
STi 04/05/06/07
JBP / OBP for now

10% Ethanol is pretty common here, Id say use the 93 and be thankful you live in Cali and have access to it. I know 91 is as high as it gets in some places there.
Layvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Grande
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layvon View Post
10% Ethanol is pretty common here, Id say use the 93 and be thankful you live in Cali and have access to it. I know 91 is as high as it gets in some places there.
Thank you very much!
I am no longer in Cali, became a Mississippian!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Grande
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph47 View Post
The ethanol shouldnt be a big issue if you use it often enough. Most ethanol issues are caused by the fuel sitting and giving the ethanol time to degrade the gaskets...

I would use 93 as that is recommended, if you do not drive it a lot then you can use a stabilizer to neutralize the effects of the ethanol.
Thank you Ralph!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Eyedoc Orlando
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 146216
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i SE
Newport Blue Metallic

The 87 Pure will give you slightly more fuel economy, but it won't burn as clean or give you any additional power. You engine will knock less and burn far cleaner on the 93, use something Top Tier (Shell/Chevron)
Eyedoc Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Grande
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedoc Orlando View Post
The 87 Pure will give you slightly more fuel economy, but it won't burn as clean or give you any additional power. You engine will knock less and burn far cleaner on the 93, use something Top Tier (Shell/Chevron)
Thanks Eyedoc! That's exactly what I am thinking. I got the car from the dealership 4 days ago and refueled with 87 pure. The car is better with this gas, but I don't know what it had before. I will refill 93 Chevron next time and will see what happens.
After driving for over 30 years I know what is better for the engine by driving it. I will figure it out for sure.

I just got Subaru's reply, which does not help very much. Here it is:

"Hello Luiz,

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

The only thing that we can recommend as the manufacturer would be what is in the owner's manual which is 91,93 or higher AKI gasoline. If you decide to put different type of gasoline in the vehicle we can not guarantee the performance.

We are not technically trained in this department so I would also suggest you contact your Subaru dealer with this question.

Thank you.

Traci Budman
Customer/Dealer Services"
Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
GrundleJuice
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 165749
Vehicle:
2007 No YELLING
on the bus!

no matter the blend of gas/ethanol, the AKI or octane # represents its resistance to knock and so it should perform safely. the 100% gas will have more potential energy for the engine to turn into useful kinetic energy.

Last edited by GrundleJuice; 09-23-2012 at 12:06 AM.
GrundleJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Ralph47
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 214774
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedoc Orlando View Post
I will second that! A quality company will be more consistent about the quality of their product. If you gas up at Joe's gas station they will get what is cheapest to keep their price down (or profits up) and will not be consistent...
Ralph47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
CrashBandit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 329543
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Sonic Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph47 View Post
I will second that! A quality company will be more consistent about the quality of their product. If you gas up at Joe's gas station they will get what is cheapest to keep their price down (or profits up) and will not be consistent...
That's interesting. I fill up at "Joe's" because its cheaper and they use 100% gas only in 93 octane. 91 and 89 have the 10% ethanol mixture.
CrashBandit is offline   Reply With Quote