Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 6, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 280543

Hello, A bit of background: I have a 09 wrx cobb stage 1 +sf intake and spt boost guage (no exhaust mods), I have been running this set up for over a year with no problem always hit the target 15 psi. Drove home from work yesterday and had no issue but later on that night when I drove again wot on the free way ,3rd gear, it would not go past 12-13 psi. I then tried a couple of WOT pulls to see if it was a fluke but with same result :-( . I do not believe it was boost leak as I did not hear any strange noise, I had the TB to IC hose leak once and it squealed like a pig. After some searching I have narrowed it down to maybe a bad batch of gas? I filled up Thursday night and problem manifested Friday night. Could adding octane booster help?

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Subiezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
addictionsoLA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301236
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2010 Wrx
Grayish!

It could be a number of things, bad gas, intake temps, developed boost leak, broken boost gauge.

Post some logs.

You could try octane booster or just run it low and fill it up with some better quality gas.
addictionsoLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
fr0st
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41618
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
wrb

plug in your cobb AC and check the boost lvl with it and compare it to your gauge..

you need to know if the ECU sees only 12-13 psi before you start doing anything else..

I use a bluetooth dongle obd2 and setit onmy phone and use an app to seeall this stuff live..

For this reason, i don't even have a boost gauge.
fr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiezilla View Post
Hello, A bit of background: I have a 09 wrx cobb stage 1 +sf intake and spt boost guage (no exhaust mods), I have been running this set up for over a year with no problem always hit the target 15 psi. Drove home from work yesterday and had no issue but later on that night when I drove again wot on the free way ,3rd gear, it would not go past 12-13 psi. I then tried a couple of WOT pulls to see if it was a fluke but with same result :-( . I do not believe it was boost leak as I did not hear any strange noise, I had the TB to IC hose leak once and it squealed like a pig. After some searching I have narrowed it down to maybe a bad batch of gas? I filled up Thursday night and problem manifested Friday night. Could adding octane booster help?

Thanks
Best thing to do would be to get a 3rd gear data log when it happens (if you can so safely):

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kFsSnBzdnA0V1E

did a quick 3rd gear pull, this is as safe as i was able to do it, being that i live in so-cal. I will try to see if i can get a near red-line pull done safely soon.

Update: yesterday and today I have been able to hit boost targets once again O.o , was this an isolated fluke? Also more background about the night when I couldn't make target boost, it was about 15-20 degrees cooler than its been on average....cooler temps, denser air?

Last edited by Subiezilla; 09-23-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st
plug in your cobb AC and check the boost lvl with it and compare it to your gauge..

you need to know if the ECU sees only 12-13 psi before you start doing anything else..

I use a bluetooth dongle obd2 and setit onmy phone and use an app to seeall this stuff live..

For this reason, i don't even have a boost gauge.
I am interested in this device? What is it called? And what iPhone app do you use with it?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kFsSnBzdnA0V1E

did a quick 3rd gear pull, this is as safe as i was able to do it, being that i live in so-cal. I will try to see if i can get a near red-line pull done safely soon.

Update: yesterday and today I have been able to hit boost targets once again O.o , was this an isolated fluke? Also more background about the night when I couldn't make target boost, it was about 15-20 degrees cooler than its been on average....cooler temps, denser air?
You boost is a little slow to build, but you are hitting close enough to your target - any changes/repairs/etc to the car since it was last not having the issue?

Bill
Old 09-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning
You boost is a little slow to build, but you are hitting close enough to your target - any changes/repairs/etc to the car since it was last not having the issue?

Bill
None what so ever, what can I do to build boost quicker/normal rate
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
None what so ever, what can I do to build boost quicker/normal rate
Do you live at any kind of altitude at all? It isn't too bad - I would want to see a more extended run, if you can do so safely. Then perhaps you could give the HWG map a try, but doing that may cause you to overboost in higher gears.

Bill
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning
Do you live at any kind of altitude at all? It isn't too bad - I would want to see a more extended run, if you can do so safely. Then perhaps you could give the HWG map a try, but doing that may cause you to overboost in higher gears.

Bill
I live in the Los Angeles area closer to the coast so I'm at sea level.... I don't want to over boost that's for sure so I will leave as is for now. I will try to get on the highway late at night to get an extensive pull. Thanks a lot for replying back on a weekend BIll, you guys at COBB are #1
Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #11
fr0st
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41618
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
wrb

Quote:
I am interested in this device? What is it called? And what iPhone app do you use with it?
On ebay, just type bluetooth obd2 1.5

get the V1.5 version...

the app is called Torque pro

On the iphone i dunno the name of the app but there are many

the dongle cost like 20$
fr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st