Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
crazzysandman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325139
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default Datalog Please Help

I'm new to subaru but I did a datalog.

Anyways its a 2004 sti stock besides 3" fujisubogiken catback, k&n drop in filter with removed air box silencer. Just filled with 91 chevron today, and fresh oil change mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohr1jtyjk30vcbs/datalog3.csv
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzysandman View Post
I'm new to subaru but I did a datalog.

Anyways its a 2004 sti stock besides 3" fujisubogiken catback, k&n drop in filter with removed air box silencer. Just filled with 91 chevron today, and fresh oil change mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohr1jtyjk30vcbs/datalog3.csv
Can you post your log up on google docs?

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
crazzysandman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325139
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GVRMXJNSUs3OUE
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...043NVdSc1BPOVE
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lhiTlU0QkctMUE

One is a 4th gear from 2000-6500rpm
and second is 3th gear same as 4th
and last was just a little small wot in 4th gear

I pm you anyways i am starting to think i got bad gas as ive been filling at the same place, im not sure.

Last edited by crazzysandman; 09-24-2012 at 09:53 AM.
crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
jebjkey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73884
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Naples, ITALY
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2006 Evolution MR

Default

Both 4th gears logs did not even go WOT until ~5000 RPM, makes it hard to compare with others.

Either you have a problem with you TPS or you need to put your foot all the way down.

You definately have knock though, which map are you running? Where are you located?
[Fill out your profile]
jebjkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
crazzysandman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325139
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

91 acn and I'm in Bakersfield California. Cobb emailed me saying it can be false knock as it doesn't pull timing. Also I don't think I put my foot all the way down...
crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzysandman View Post
91 acn and I'm in Bakersfield California. Cobb emailed me saying it can be false knock as it doesn't pull timing. Also I don't think I put my foot all the way down...
The knock events are pulling timing, so I'm not sure who you talked to about the false knock. False knock could be a possibility, but it is still impacting your timing adv.

You have some relatively extreme corrections in the middle of your WOT runs. Either this is actual knock (due to a mechanical issue or poor gas quality or both) or it is false knock (due to something in the engine bay that is making noise that the knock sensor is picking up, like a loose heatshield).

At this point, we don't want to subject your car to additional WOT runs. I would drive through about a tank of gas and then take a look at your A/F Learning 1 A,B,C,D long-term fuel trims. These should generally be within around +/- 5% with enough driving since you installed the AccessPORT, reflashed a map, or reset the ECU. If they are well outside of that, then you may have a fueling-related issue due to a mechanical problem.

As far as gas quality, I would try to stick with the so-called "top tier" gas stations.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
crazzysandman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325139
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

So I did find a loose heat shield and I went in and fixed it. I did a wot run just to see if it was that. I'll post them up. I'll drive the car normal for now I think its just fueling problem. But I can be wrong. I did hear a sort of rattle when I went wot kind of sounded like a little tin can but not so loud. And in one of my runs I did run over the street divider reflector things. Also I looked and it seems like I over boosted... should I try the lwg map?

4th gear
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...jBWUmpFR3p5WUE
4th gear
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UhjV2ZsazJmcGc
3rd gear
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WRwa3Vfcmx2aFE
and driving home
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0tucHpSR1g3T2c

Last edited by crazzysandman; 09-25-2012 at 10:43 AM.
crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Source,LLC
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 322524
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago,IL
Vehicle:
3.5 WRX STI
WRB

Default

Whats the target boost? Looks like you pegged out at about 17.2x or so and if the target is 17 then I'd say you really aren't over boosting, there is some variance that will happen due to all sorts of external conditions (temperature, humidity, elevation, ect). You are still knocking a bit (-3 FBKC), but nothing as bad as you were. The thing that stood out to me was the weird timing curve. If you plot RPM vs. ignition timing it should be a nice smooth curve that hits it's lowest number around peak torque and slowly builds back up as you move into the higher RPM range. Yours seems to sort of bounce around a lot.
Source,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
crazzysandman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325139
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Source,LLC
Whats the target boost? Looks like you pegged out at about 17.2x or so and if the target is 17 then I'd say you really aren't over boosting, there is some variance that will happen due to all sorts of external conditions (temperature, humidity, elevation, ect). You are still knocking a bit (-3 FBKC), but nothing as bad as you were. The thing that stood out to me was the weird timing curve. If you plot RPM vs. ignition timing it should be a nice smooth curve that hits it's lowest number around peak torque and slowly builds back up as you move into the higher RPM range. Yours seems to sort of bounce around a lot.
Yeah I did notice knock went down after a resecured the heat shield. I did hear some rattle. Other than that I'm still learning to read this things. What should I do? Should I try some octane booster? Maybe a reflash? I bought my ap used so who knows if the maps could have been touched... idk
crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Source,LLC
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 322524
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago,IL
Vehicle:
3.5 WRX STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzysandman View Post
Yeah I did notice knock went down after a resecured the heat shield. I did hear some rattle. Other than that I'm still learning to read this things. What should I do? Should I try some octane booster? Maybe a reflash? I bought my ap used so who knows if the maps could have been touched... idk
If you are worried about the maps integrity then simply go to cobbs website and download a new map. Make sure to read the map's notes to be sure the mod's required on the list matcu up to the mods on your car.
Source,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
crazzysandman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325139
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Source,LLC

If you are worried about the maps integrity then simply go to cobbs website and download a new map. Make sure to read the map's notes to be sure the mod's required on the list matcu up to the mods on your car.
Yeah I got off the phone with Cobb they said try putting back the stock filter and silincer so I did and I unistalled Cobb for the meanwhile. I will look on cobbs site for the latest 91 acn map as I do live in California. Also they said I could have possibly gotten so bad gas... I did find that my turbo heat shield wasn't on correctly so I corrected that. So when I get home I will look for the right maps
crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzysandman View Post
Yeah I got off the phone with Cobb they said try putting back the stock filter and silincer so I did and I unistalled Cobb for the meanwhile. I will look on cobbs site for the latest 91 acn map as I do live in California. Also they said I could have possibly gotten so bad gas... I did find that my turbo heat shield wasn't on correctly so I corrected that. So when I get home I will look for the right maps
You do have a slight boost spike in one of your 4th gear logs, but it is not something that needs to be corrected (and not the cause of the apparent knock). But, you are still see multiple knock events, especially at higher RPM. I would go ahead and DL and reflash the low wastegate (LWG) version of the 91ACN map to reduce boost (as more conservative approach since you are seeing these multiple events).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
crazzysandman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325139
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning
You do have a slight boost spike in one of your 4th gear logs, but it is not something that needs to be corrected (and not the cause of the apparent knock). But, you are still see multiple knock events, especially at higher RPM. I would go ahead and DL and reflash the low wastegate (LWG) version of the 91ACN map to reduce boost (as more conservative approach since you are seeing these multiple events).

Bill
I did try to reflash 91 acn and my dam was at .7 and it had rough idle when the fans would kick on.y friend told me to ditch the tune and go back to stock. Stock seems to be fine. I think its the mapping on my ap and my car might not like it... well I'll be going socal Cobb next month to have them check it out

Also after I reflashed I went for a drive about 60 miles and I would see that ap would see feedback knock and that was right after hitting a bump and slight rough road. Our high way is a bit bumpy for a few miles. I believe it can be the knock sensor or bad fuel. I don't hear any knock. Well again I'll take it to socal Cobb that won't hurt.

Last edited by crazzysandman; 09-26-2012 at 09:39 AM.
crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzysandman View Post
I did try to reflash 91 acn and my dam was at .7 and it had rough idle when the fans would kick on.y friend told me to ditch the tune and go back to stock. Stock seems to be fine. I think its the mapping on my ap and my car might not like it... well I'll be going socal Cobb next month to have them check it out

Also after I reflashed I went for a drive about 60 miles and I would see that ap would see feedback knock and that was right after hitting a bump and slight rough road. Our high way is a bit bumpy for a few miles. I believe it can be the knock sensor or bad fuel. I don't hear any knock. Well again I'll take it to socal Cobb that won't hurt.
That particular map starts the DAM out at 0.7 when you reflash it (or if you reset the ECU), so that is normal behavior and does not indicate knock. It will eventually learn up to 1.0 during normal driving.

When you reflash a map, it also clears all the ECU's learned parameters, including those relating to idle control. So, it is not unusual to see sometimes see sporadic odd idle behavior until the ECU learns around this (should do this in less than a week).

If you are seeing consistent feedback knock corresponding to a bump in the road, you may have something loose that the knock sensor is picking up.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
crazzysandman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325139
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning
That particular map starts the DAM out at 0.7 when you reflash it (or if you reset the ECU), so that is normal behavior and does not indicate knock. It will eventually learn up to 1.0 during normal driving.

When you reflash a map, it also clears all the ECU's learned parameters, including those relating to idle control. So, it is not unusual to see sometimes see sporadic odd idle behavior until the ECU learns around this (should do this in less than a week).

If you are seeing consistent feedback knock corresponding to a bump in the road, you may have something loose that the knock sensor is picking up.

Bill
Thanks bill I was getting worried about the ots tunes. Anyways I got a hold of a Subaru tech in my auto mall and hopefully he can give it a look and I'll go from there. Any suggestions on what I should have him look for?
crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzysandman View Post
Thanks bill I was getting worried about the ots tunes. Anyways I got a hold of a Subaru tech in my auto mall and hopefully he can give it a look and I'll go from there. Any suggestions on what I should have him look for?
Well, if you believe it might be false knock, look for loose heatshield on uppipe and downpipe and anything else engine/tranny related that could be loose and making noise.

Make sure you are using a quality gas. I would go ahead and reflash the more conservative 91ACN map.

A pressure/smoke test of intake tract is something that I would definitely get done - post-MAF intake tract leaks are pretty common, especially on older cars and can cause fueling issues as a result.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
crazzysandman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325139
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning
Well, if you believe it might be false knock, look for loose heatshield on uppipe and downpipe and anything else engine/tranny related that could be loose and making noise.

Make sure you are using a quality gas. I would go ahead and reflash the more conservative 91ACN map.

A pressure/smoke test of intake tract is something that I would definitely get done - post-MAF intake tract leaks are pretty common, especially on older cars and can cause fueling issues as a result.

Bill
Thank you Bill I will most definitely have him do that. Thanks again for the help
crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.