Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #1876
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Yeah, in the end I'm just happy they stuck with the XT and just improved it. It's much more appealing than the outgoing model.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #1877
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
You can always get a shop to install some seat heaters for you..

Re: the manual CUV argument.. Subaru sold every manual equipped Forester XT they made.. and didn't have any trouble moving them.. they just made very few of them. You can't judge the market from a conservative build number.

Yes they did.......eventually. Most every one we got sat for over 3 months. The last 08 XT Sports manual we got we had for 7 months. No trouble. No trouble at all.

The boss will decline as many manuals as they will allow on any allocation(not WRX/STIs obviously). They sit too long most of the time.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #1878
SubieMonte
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 264803
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post

Yes they did.......eventually. Most every one we got sat for over 3 months. The last 08 XT Sports manual we got we had for 7 months. No trouble. No trouble at all.

The boss will decline as many manuals as they will allow on any allocation(not WRX/STIs obviously). They sit too long most of the time.
If you get a 2014 forester XT manual. I call dibs. Then contact me! Lol.
SubieMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #1879
staryoshi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299690
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2014 Subaru Forester
Jasmine Green Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Yes they did.......eventually. Most every one we got sat for over 3 months. The last 08 XT Sports manual we got we had for 7 months. No trouble. No trouble at all.

The boss will decline as many manuals as they will allow on any allocation(not WRX/STIs obviously). They sit too long most of the time.
Given the already small number of consumers interested in manuals for this class of vehicle, this is why they have been dropped. "Enthusiasts" and those who prefer manuals a) make up a very small fraction of the overall market and b) often look to other vehicle types to satisfy their desire. I'm sure many (especially on this forum) would prefer to have more M/T availability with the new Forester X and XT but Subaru (and many other manufacturers) have determined that the demand isn't there and/or that they'd like to garner greater margins by offering A/Ts.

The CVT with its various sport modes and paddle shifting capabilities is an ideal compromise, IMO. Those who want more control over the transmission have it and those who do not care to do so are not taxed with it. The real disappointment is the lack of paddle shifters on the 2.5L model, which is puzzling to say the least considering that the Impreza and Crosstrek offer it. The only reason I can think they'd neglect it is to steer consumers to the XT.
staryoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #1880
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Yes they did.......eventually. Most every one we got sat for over 3 months. The last 08 XT Sports manual we got we had for 7 months. No trouble. No trouble at all.

The boss will decline as many manuals as they will allow on any allocation(not WRX/STIs obviously). They sit too long most of the time.
Usually the people who bought the manuals were the one who logged in on forums to give advice and whatnot. That I'm somewhat greatful for but I've never had to use that advice to begin with. It just meant Subaru had more customers coming because of a loyal fanbase and that made it easier for me to buy the car of my dreams as a child because people kept buying Subarus.

But when I brought up the manual CUV argument, it was more in reference of people bashing an automatic because they loved manuals but would never buy the Subaru Forester because they don't see it as "manly" since it's not a sports sedan or hatchback like the WRX/STI. They bash on it as if they would buy it if it had a manual transmission on the XT versions but in reality they never even bought it. Kind of like those people who bash the GTR for not having a manual transmission even though all of them wouldn't be able to afford one.
A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #1881
SubieMonte
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 264803
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
OBP

Default

I've never driven a vehicle with paddle shifters but I can't see this being an acceptable trade off for me. And the heated seats needs to be an option on the 14FXT
SubieMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #1882
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by staryoshi View Post
Given the already small number of consumers interested in manuals for this class of vehicle, this is why they have been dropped. "Enthusiasts" and those who prefer manuals a) make up a very small fraction of the overall market and b) often look to other vehicle types to satisfy their desire. I'm sure many (especially on this forum) would prefer to have more M/T availability with the new Forester X and XT but Subaru (and many other manufacturers) have determined that the demand isn't there and/or that they'd like to garner greater margins by offering A/Ts.

The CVT with its various sport modes and paddle shifting capabilities is an ideal compromise, IMO. Those who want more control over the transmission have it and those who do not care to do so are not taxed with it. The real disappointment is the lack of paddle shifters on the 2.5L model, which is puzzling to say the least considering that the Impreza and Crosstrek offer it. The only reason I can think they'd neglect it is to steer consumers to the XT.
I think the real disappointment is that Subaru claimed 6.2 seconds on a 0-60 MPH run but we'd never get anywhere close with the 2014 Subaru Forester XT. ;< I was hoping Sport Sharp WOULDN'T act like an automatic transmission and instead more like a CVT so that I could be closer to getting that 6.2 second mark without having to launch a CUV, lol. Up here in Colorado the air already makes it hard enough for me to keep it under 8 second without going a stage up in my 2012 Subaru Forester XT.
A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #1883
WRX4US
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162846
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

I don't mind the CVT, though I think the shifter/paddles imitation set gears half baked. Why not a self returning continuously variable torque modulator?
What I would like is a lowered version for sporty road driving. That X-Drive thingy sounds a lot like an active torque vectoring system, only limited to low speeds. Perhaps that might be the harbinger of a high speed version to come?
WRX4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #1884
Cocoa Beach Bum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17355
Join Date: Apr 2002
Default

Cocoa Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #1885
Cocoa Beach Bum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17355
Join Date: Apr 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4US View Post
I don't mind the CVT, though I think the shifter/paddles imitation set gears half baked. Why not a self returning continuously variable torque modulator?
What I would like is a lowered version for sporty road driving. That X-Drive thingy sounds a lot like an active torque vectoring system, only limited to low speeds. Perhaps that might be the harbinger of a high speed version to come?
I believe that one review mentioned that FHI's engineer told them that the fastest acceleration would be obtained in "S" mode (not "S#") using CVT Drive mode (not Sportshift).
Cocoa Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #1886
illmatic
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3536
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SD, OC
Vehicle:
2013 SWP BRZ Limited
2002/2003 AW/PSM WRX

Default

illmatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #1887
SubieMonte
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 264803
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
OBP

Default

For the DIYer in you for the 14FXT. EBAY#eBay item # 180871106979

I wonder if I can do a remote start.
SubieMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #1888
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Paddle shifters rotate with the steering wheel. Interesting.
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #1889
SubieMonte
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 264803
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
OBP

Default

Dumb.
SubieMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #1890
WRX_02_227
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12434
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX, 2015 WRX
2011 BMW 135i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Paddle shifters rotate with the steering wheel. Interesting.
Don't they all?
WRX_02_227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #1891
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_02_227 View Post
Don't they all?
No, because half the time your hands aren't going to be in the position they're mounted to on the steering wheel like when you're turning. Having them mounted on the console, not the steering wheel, is a more logical position. Some vehicles have that configuration and it's far better than those mounted on the steering wheel.

Last edited by A W; 01-25-2013 at 10:02 PM.
A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #1892
WRX4US
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162846
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Beach Bum View Post
I believe that one review mentioned that FHI's engineer told them that the fastest acceleration would be obtained in "S" mode (not "S#") using CVT Drive mode (not Sportshift).
I believe this X-mode thingy as it's setup in the Forester is for low speed off road stuff. Not to be confused with SI-DRIVE.
WRX4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #1893
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4US View Post
I believe this X-mode thingy as it's setup in the Forester is for low speed off road stuff. Not to be confused with SI-DRIVE.
XT has both SI-DRIVE and X-mode.
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #1894
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post

No, because half the time your hands aren't going to be in the position they're mounted to on the steering wheel like when you're turning. Having them mounted on the console, not the steering wheel, is a more logical position. Some vehicles have that configuration and it's far better than those mounted on the steering wheel.
I have the 2012 sport impreza with the paddles shifters. When needing to make a quick downshift and a turn, it gets a bit frustrating. It would have been better to locate the paddles on the console or just kept it on the shifter. Not sure what the lock to lock steering is on the forester is but on the impreza it is quite long. So when I do have to down shift and turn, I do lose some road concentration to make sure I hit the right paddle. Which really dumb because the whole point of the paddles are to keep both hands on the steering wheel to be more safe but if you have to draw some tension away from the road to shift up or down then this defeats the point.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #1895
gathermewool
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143624
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
14 FXT Touring
VRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
"SI-Drive formerly only in the STI," huh?
gathermewool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #1896
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Beach Bum View Post
Nice summary from that autoweek piece:
Quote:
If youíre looking for a super usable, utilitarian crossover on a budget, then the Subaru Forester comes highly recommended. The Forester can do almost anything, except for fly and jump buildings in a single bound. It will easily take you and the family to soccer practice, the mall or a cabin thatís only accessible by two-tracking through terrain that would stop most other so-called soft-road crossovers.

Add in the fact that the Forester is all-new for 2014 and the case gets even stronger. Itís got the room, comfort and updated technology to compete with best sellers such as the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V, and, as far as weíre concerned, it leaves those cute utes in the dust.
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #1897
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

For those wondering about Jasmine Green, I believe you can see it after the 1:00 mark of this video... a real-world example of the color, albeit dust-covered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ixjosNkk#t=60s
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #1898
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

OK, let me be the first to suggest the 2008 SEMA Forester Mountain Rescue Concept be applied to the 2014.
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #1899
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
I have the 2012 sport impreza with the paddles shifters. When needing to make a quick downshift and a turn, it gets a bit frustrating. It would have been better to locate the paddles on the console or just kept it on the shifter. Not sure what the lock to lock steering is on the forester is but on the impreza it is quite long. So when I do have to down shift and turn, I do lose some road concentration to make sure I hit the right paddle. Which really dumb because the whole point of the paddles are to keep both hands on the steering wheel to be more safe but if you have to draw some tension away from the road to shift up or down then this defeats the point.
Yes, exactly. That's one of the reasons why it's much more logical to stick the paddle shifters on the console rather than the steering wheel.
A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #1900
eps105
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 205153
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Vehicle:
2014 Forester 2.5i
Venetian Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
I have the 2012 sport impreza with the paddles shifters. When needing to make a quick downshift and a turn, it gets a bit frustrating. It would have been better to locate the paddles on the console or just kept it on the shifter. Not sure what the lock to lock steering is on the forester is but on the impreza it is quite long. So when I do have to down shift and turn, I do lose some road concentration to make sure I hit the right paddle. Which really dumb because the whole point of the paddles are to keep both hands on the steering wheel to be more safe but if you have to draw some tension away from the road to shift up or down then this defeats the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post
Yes, exactly. That's one of the reasons why it's much more logical to stick the paddle shifters on the console rather than the steering wheel.
And exactly the reasons why I am NOT at all upset that the 2.5i Foresters don't have paddle shifters at all. I have them in my 3.6R Outback and they are a novelty that I try once or twice a year and then forget about. The "L" setting should be more than fine for the rare instances when I am crawling through a traffic jam or need a controlled start in snow.
eps105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.