Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
LokiRex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357604
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Centreville, VA
Vehicle:
2013 Limited Edition
Tangerine Orange

Default I got in an accident with my rex :(

Thank God, every one was alright (and I had just dropped my son off at school). What happend was everyone slammed on the breaks for some reason and I had no where to go (I may have been following to close :-] ) Anyways, the whole front end had to come off so I was wondering is there something that I might be able to do to enhance the look/speed/awesomeness of the car since its getting stripped down to it engine?

Thanks for the information - I am so pissed that I couldn't get out of the way.

I'd post my pdf of all the pic's but I don't seem to have permission. If you want to see it, send me a pm

-Jay
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
LokiRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
atech34
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304389
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lynn, Ma
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

Default

Sucks you got in an accident glad your son was dropped off.

Maybe a brake upgrade instead of go fast parts.
atech34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
craze191st
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 297642
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi
PBP

Default

Glad everyone's ok, you could go with widebody fenders on the rebuild
craze191st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
LokiRex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357604
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Centreville, VA
Vehicle:
2013 Limited Edition
Tangerine Orange

Default

Thanks guys.

@atech34, do you know what a good break upgrade would be? Sorry, I'm very new to upgrading vehicles (especially the wrx)
LokiRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
LokiRex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357604
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Centreville, VA
Vehicle:
2013 Limited Edition
Tangerine Orange

Default

craze191st, do you have a website for those?
LokiRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
craze191st
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 297642
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiRex View Post
craze191st, do you have a website for those?
The one's I was thinking about are on varis.co.jp you would have to get them imported. It's what I'd do to mine if I had the opportunity.
craze191st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

To post pictures, upload them to a photo hosting site and then use the [img] code. Ain't nobody got time for pm'ing for pictures of you in a wreck.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Amazing Asian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 259589
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Vehicle:
05 Saabaru 9-2X
Deep Blue Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
To post pictures, upload them to a photo hosting site and then use the [img] code. Ain't nobody got time for pm'ing for pictures of you in a wreck.
Found a before photo of his car, still waiting on a pm back to help him with photo upload

Amazing Asian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
redhorizon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 258375
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Default

Glad nobody got hurt. I just moved from Northern Virgina to Annapolis and I'm glad I did. NOVA is a crazy place to drive; so many people from other countries bringing their bad driving there.
redhorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: SE Mass/RI
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Default

I almost got tagged yesterday on the way home from work. I'm slowing down and stopping on the highway in a tunnel (around a gradual corner) due to traffic and I hit my hazards "Hey! I"m stopped! Pay Attention!"

One of those 11-12 passenger vans is barreling down in the passing lane (the lane I am in) and I can only sit and watch as I'm pinned against a wall to my left and stopped traffic on my right.

I can actually see the front of the van take a nosedive when they finally get that traffic is not moving and starting to wiggle left and right (also with no where to escape to).

Traffic moves maybe 6 feet and I take it, inching up to the car in front of me giving this guy enough room to stop just in time. I believe that van would have been about 5 feet into my car if traffic didn't inch up and me with it.

Hope all is well with your car.

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
atech34
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304389
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lynn, Ma
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiRex View Post
Thanks guys.

@atech34, do you know what a good break upgrade would be? Sorry, I'm very new to upgrading vehicles (especially the wrx)
I would assume your year model already has 4 pots up front and 2 in the rear. This refers to the number of pistons in your brake calipers these are what squeeze the brake pads to the rotors.

You could go with drilled and slotted rotors, slotted at the least. The drilled portion allows the rotors to cool quickly helping reduce brake fade, and the slotted portion will actually shave the glazing that occurs on the brake pads so you have a fresh surface to stop with.

You could also upgrade your brake lines to stainless steel braided lines, these help maintain the pressure from the brake pedal through your brake lines to the calipers. With the stock lines they don't hold as well because they are soft and allow the pressure to bulge the hoses and flex.

And of course you could upgrade to some nice brake pads. There are many options for both and ultimately it is up to your budget on how you want to upgrade anything.
atech34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
lordgrinz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 293423
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Western MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 5dr
WRB SPT/Stock

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
I almost got tagged yesterday on the way home from work. I'm slowing down and stopping on the highway in a tunnel (around a gradual corner) due to traffic and I hit my hazards "Hey! I"m stopped! Pay Attention!"

One of those 11-12 passenger vans is barreling down in the passing lane (the lane I am in) and I can only sit and watch as I'm pinned against a wall to my left and stopped traffic on my right.

I can actually see the front of the van take a nosedive when they finally get that traffic is not moving and starting to wiggle left and right (also with no where to escape to).

Traffic moves maybe 6 feet and I take it, inching up to the car in front of me giving this guy enough room to stop just in time. I believe that van would have been about 5 feet into my car if traffic didn't inch up and me with it.

Hope all is well with your car.

--kC
This type of thing happens so often its scary, lately its the stop sign blowers, or the right hand only lane users trying to go straight thru an intersection that are my biggest issue. People suck at driving, glad I am no longer living near a city, or need to use the highway often.
lordgrinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
atech34
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304389
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lynn, Ma
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgrinz View Post
This type of thing happens so often its scary, lately its the stop sign blowers, or the right hand only lane users trying to go straight thru an intersection that are my biggest issue. People suck at driving, glad I am no longer living near a city, or need to use the highway often.
I find myself stopping in traffic with at least a half car length in front of me and the first thing I do as soon as I stop is look in my rear view.
atech34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiRex View Post
Thanks guys.

@atech34, do you know what a good break upgrade would be? Sorry, I'm very new to upgrading vehicles (especially the wrx)
A good brake upgrade would be allowing more distance between yourself and the car in front of you.

Great brakes do not compensate for stupid.
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
lordgrinz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 293423
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Western MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 5dr
WRB SPT/Stock

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
A good brake upgrade would be allowing more distance between yourself and the car in front of you.

Great brakes do not compensate for stupid.
Not to mention the WRX has pretty damn good panic stopping as it is, they may not last on a track, but they are no slouch for normal driving.
lordgrinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
BReehill
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 369739
Join Date: Sep 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Atlantic City, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 WRX SE
Tangerine Orange Pearl

Default

Glad your ok and sorry to hear espeically on such a beautiful car! (side note: im picking up my SE up saturday!!)

i see some people saying brake upgrade and thought you might want to read this. i found it very informative

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=brake+upgrade
BReehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: SE Mass/RI
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
A good brake upgrade would be allowing more distance between yourself and the car in front of you.

Great brakes do not compensate for stupid.
What about the guy behind ya?

Sure, you stop fast, but the people behind can't stop as quick, especially if as usual, following too close.

I had a guy today in a delivery truck on my ass on a one lane 35mph road this morning. I was leaving about 4 -5 car lengths to the car in front of me this morning. Why? Because yesterday morning when I was on this road in a line of cars doing 40, a deer committed seppuku on the car that was 3 in front of me. I want options.

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
JazzyJake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153476
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Western Mass
Vehicle:
2005 VF39 6spd FXT
Aspen White

Default

OP: atech34 does not know what he's talking about with brake upgrades.
(I'm not trying to pick a fight, simply stop the spread of misinformation.)

In your instance, a stock rotor, stock calipers etc would be just fine. A brake pad with good bite to help you initiate the brake, and to a very minimal extent some stainless lines would of been all you could of done in the brake department. It's time to not follow so close, and have appropriate tires on.

You could put a massive BBK on an underpowered, super light RS, but if you're running an inappropriate tire size/compound, you won't be stopping very quickly. Stock brakes can lock up an R Comp race tire, brake upgrades are primarily for heat dissipation.

You need to read the brake supersticky if you want to upgrade your brakes: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...php?p=39627517

In the meantime, you need to not follow so close. "Tightening the nut behind the wheel" is what this mod falls under.

However, In the interest in helping you with your situation, just how far is it getting stripped down? I would likely get some headlights that were cleared/painted, and do a front lip and leave it alone. Your car is rare and very limited, so KISS

This is the Varis setup another poster mentioned: http://varis.co.jp/varis/bodykit/sub...gvb/index.html

I think it looks amazing as a track car, but if you don't have a track fitment, I think widebodies can look a bit silly. (Needs a lot of offset, and lotsssss of rubber to fill it up and make it look nice and meaty!)

Please don't take anything I said as inflammatory, it's all just trying to be helpful and make sure you're on the right track.
JazzyJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #19
atech34
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304389
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lynn, Ma
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJake View Post
OP: atech34 does not know what he's talking about with brake upgrades.
(I'm not trying to pick a fight, simply stop the spread of misinformation.)
I understand you are not trying to pick a fight but I will argue that there is no miss information being spread. The OP asked what a brake upgrade would consist of since he had no knowledge on the matter.

If you could possible site anywhere in what I stated that is not an upgrade over stock please do. I too would like to be properly informed.
atech34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
What about the guy behind ya?

Sure, you stop fast, but the people behind can't stop as quick, especially if as usual, following too close.
In that case, the REAR of your car gets hit, and it's the OTHER guys fault for following too close.

"Just Call Saul!"
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
JazzyJake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153476
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Western Mass
Vehicle:
2005 VF39 6spd FXT
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atech34 View Post
I understand you are not trying to pick a fight but I will argue that there is no miss information being spread. The OP asked what a brake upgrade would consist of since he had no knowledge on the matter.

If you could possible site anywhere in what I stated that is not an upgrade over stock please do. I too would like to be properly informed.
I see what you're saying. I avoid drilled at all costs. (They seem to crack...)



Slotted isn't really necessary for the street, though technically could certainly be seen as an upgrade.

I do agree everyone should get a better pad compound, and a bleed with a high quality fluid, and stainless lines are a good idea.

An upgrade certainly wouldn't of stopped the accident, but at any rate, we both agree to upgrade your brakes.

(I read that as, 'drilled and slotted rotors could of helped you prevent an accident!' which I now realize is not what you said, thankfully )
JazzyJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
atech34
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304389
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lynn, Ma
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJake View Post
I see what you're saying. I avoid drilled at all costs. (They seem to crack...)



Slotted isn't really necessary for the street, though technically could certainly be seen as an upgrade.

I do agree everyone should get a better pad compound, and a bleed with a high quality fluid, and stainless lines are a good idea.

An upgrade certainly wouldn't of stopped the accident, but at any rate, we both agree to upgrade your brakes.

(I read that as, 'drilled and slotted rotors could of helped you prevent an accident!' which I now realize is not what you said, thankfully )
I agree that it wouldn't have helped in his situation and I also do not like the drilled rotors for street applications it is over kill.
atech34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
ShcMad
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135967
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fairfax, VA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorizon View Post
Glad nobody got hurt. I just moved from Northern Virgina to Annapolis and I'm glad I did. NOVA is a crazy place to drive; so many people from other countries bringing their bad driving there.
I second this.
ShcMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atech34 View Post
You could go with drilled and slotted rotors, slotted at the least. The drilled portion allows the rotors to cool quickly helping reduce brake fade, and the slotted portion will actually shave the glazing that occurs on the brake pads so you have a fresh surface to stop with.
no


345
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: SE Mass/RI
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Default

Could vs should.

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.