Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 30, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
CriticalityEvent
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281670
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default Hood deflector compatibility

Hi all,

I’m looking to minimize the number of holes being punched into the paint on the front of my hood (moving forward, at least). I have a '12 WRX. The only deflector that I’ve been able to find has been this one:

http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/shop/p...ry=266#details

That site categorizes that deflector under “2008-13 WRX/Sti/2.5i.” Are front of the hoods for all three models across all of those years identical? I’m given more pause when I saw that same part here:

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1280

That site states “not for turbo models,” but I’m wondering if that’s due to concerns that I’ve seen in various threads regarding the deflection of air into the scoop.

Ugh… I should’ve gone with a clear bra from the get-go.

Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CriticalityEvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
evilspoons
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321311
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Vehicle:
2012 STi 5-door
World Rally Blue

Default

Subaru doesn't recommend the deflector for the WRX/STi because it pushes air away from the scoop, reducing its effectiveness at cooling the intercooler. I don't know how much of a difference this actually makes in practice, though.

That being said: you can probably install the non-turbo model deflector on a WRX/STi just fine, because the leading edge of the hood is the same. xluben had a non-scoop hood installed on his WRX after he put a FMIC on the car - there are no shape differences around the edges.
evilspoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Just do a clear bra.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Tfivem
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357454
Join Date: May 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Providence RI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited GR
2015 Impreza Hatch CWS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspoons View Post
Subaru doesn't recommend the deflector for the WRX/STi because it pushes air away from the scoop, reducing its effectiveness at cooling the intercooler. I don't know how much of a difference this actually makes in practice, though.

That being said: you can probably install the non-turbo model deflector on a WRX/STi just fine, because the leading edge of the hood is the same. xluben had a non-scoop hood installed on his WRX after he put a FMIC on the car - there are no shape differences around the edges.
someone on here went through the trouble of actually mounting one on his WRX, and recording before and after flow lines to see if it actually harmed airflow to the intercooler, which it did not,

ill try and find the link

EDIT* Found it:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2405189

Last edited by Tfivem; 07-10-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Tfivem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
tilegend
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295565
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

I had one installed for a few months now. Haven't done any quantifiable tests but yeah from that thread you can pretty much see the height of the deflector vs the hood scoop.
tilegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
CriticalityEvent
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281670
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
Just do a clear bra.
I should’ve done this as soon as I got the car, but none of my previous cars seemed to attract rock chips to the degree that the WRX does on that part of the hood. My other cars’ hoods must have had a very different angle on their leading edges. Now, I need to grind some small rust spots that have started forming and touch it up before thinking about the clear bra, but I have a trip next weekend and the deflector is now the only option I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfivem View Post
someone on here went through the trouble of actually mounting one on his WRX, and recording before and after flow lines to see if it actually harmed airflow to the intercooler, which it did not,
ill try and find the link
EDIT* Found it:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2405189

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilegend View Post
I had one installed for a few months now. Haven't done any quantifiable tests but yeah from that thread you can pretty much see the height of the deflector vs the hood scoop.
Yep, that’s the thread that I was thinking about. I thought all those pictures’ links were broken, turns out they were just blocked by my company’s network. >:-/ That video link IS broken, however. From what I read, I would agree with you that there is probably nothing to worry about from that perspective.

Thanks everyone!
CriticalityEvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
garudatwo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322385
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

I've been using it on mine for a while, seems to help with the rock chips (i.e. haven't seen any new ones since install):
garudatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
CriticalityEvent
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281670
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garudatwo View Post
I've been using it on mine for a while, seems to help with the rock chips (i.e. haven't seen any new ones since install):
That car is SHARP. If I knew how good silver (SSM?) would look with the accents created by material that is also meant to protect the car, I would've gone with that instead of DGM.


Just to update: I ordered the deflector online, but tried getting it from a local dealership first. The guy in the parts department immediately voiced his concern regarding airflow, and then went on to say that using this would "void the warranty on the turbo." Since the intercooler is after the turbo, wouldn't the deflector cause more damage to the engine (theoretically)?
CriticalityEvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
WilR
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343078
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatchback
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalityEvent View Post
That car is SHARP. If I knew how good silver (SSM?) would look with the accents created by material that is also meant to protect the car, I would've gone with that instead of DGM.


Just to update: I ordered the deflector online, but tried getting it from a local dealership first. The guy in the parts department immediately voiced his concern regarding airflow, and then went on to say that using this would "void the warranty on the turbo." Since the intercooler is after the turbo, wouldn't the deflector cause more damage to the engine (theoretically)?
I think that is a pretty ridiculous claim from the dealership, none the less he will probably be the idiot that is on the clock should you have to bring it in for something.

With that being said, I plan on ordering one myself because I cannot stand the paint chips . Did you order from the links above? How was the fitment?
WilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
btc2112
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322981
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 Door
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalityEvent View Post
Just to update: I ordered the deflector online, but tried getting it from a local dealership first. The guy in the parts department immediately voiced his concern regarding airflow, and then went on to say that using this would "void the warranty on the turbo." Since the intercooler is after the turbo, wouldn't the deflector cause more damage to the engine (theoretically)?
Complete and total bs. Was this a tech? Oh man... I'd immediately thank him for his time and never, ever, ever bring my car in to be serviced there.
btc2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc2112 View Post

Complete and total bs. Was this a tech? Oh man... I'd immediately thank him for his time and never, ever, ever bring my car in to be serviced there.
It's possible that a modification that adversely effects the motors operation would be subject to scrutiny.

While it may not VOID the warranty, you could definitely face a denial of service.

Use some common sense.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
CriticalityEvent
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281670
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilR View Post
I think that is a pretty ridiculous claim from the dealership, none the less he will probably be the idiot that is on the clock should you have to bring it in for something.
With that being said, I plan on ordering one myself because I cannot stand the paint chips . Did you order from the links above? How was the fitment?
Yep, ordered it from this link:
http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1280

It came pretty fast and exactly as described. Here is a picture:





Just FYI, throw a blanket or tarp over the engine bay; I had a couple of close calls when a screw fell out of my hand as I was threading in a bracket.


Quote:
Originally Posted by btc2112 View Post
Complete and total bs. Was this a tech? Oh man... I'd immediately thank him for his time and never, ever, ever bring my car in to be serviced there.
I don’t think it was a tech; I asked to speak to speak to someone in the parts department. I’ve actually gone out of my way to take my car to this dealership before because their techs are that great (Liberty Subaru in Illinois).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
It's possible that a modification that adversely effects the motors operation would be subject to scrutiny.
While it may not VOID the warranty, you could definitely face a denial of service.
Use some common sense.
I understand that it might it might cause damage to other parts of the engine, but the guy I spoke to in the parts department was very specific about the deflector damaging the turbo itself. What do you mean by “use some common sense”?
CriticalityEvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
btc2112
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322981
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 Door
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post

It's possible that a modification that adversely effects the motors operation would be subject to scrutiny.

While it may not VOID the warranty, you could definitely face a denial of service.

Use some common sense.
Common sense?

Sure-
Our warranties cannot be voided. Period. Any tech or wrench turner who tells a customer otherwise can pound sand. No one said anything about scrutiny if I recall correctly...

Reading AND comprehension- if you're only gonna do one of them, might as well forget the other...
btc2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
btc2112
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322981
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 Door
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalityEvent View Post

Yep, ordered it from this link:
http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1280

It came pretty fast and exactly as described. Here is a picture:

Just FYI, throw a blanket or tarp over the engine bay; I had a couple of close calls when a screw fell out of my hand as I was threading in a bracket.

I don’t think it was a tech; I asked to speak to speak to someone in the parts department. I’ve actually gone out of my way to take my car to this dealership before because their techs are that great (Liberty Subaru in Illinois).

I understand that it might it might cause damage to other parts of the engine, but the guy I spoke to in the parts department was very specific about the deflector damaging the turbo itself. What do you mean by “use some common sense”?
He was speaking to me about common sense...while not exercising a whole lot of it himself...

Pot meet kettle Aaaannnd welcome to NASIOC!
btc2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc2112 View Post
Common sense?

Sure-
Our warranties cannot be voided. Period.
Wrong. There are a couple of scenarios where an entire warranty can be void by SOA. This wouldn't be one of them, but there ARE things that will cause SOA to completely void a warranty.

Quote:
Reading AND comprehension- if you're only gonna do one of them, might as well forget the other...
You said a warranty cannot be void, but it can. And I was also pointing out, that it is very possible that you can risk service denial due to a hood deflector that is specifically stated NOT FOR TURBO MODELS as it can and will divert air around the scoop - causing the motor to run excessively hot and potentially cause damage. You might want to work on that comprehension part.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
btc2112
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322981
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 Door
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post

Wrong. There are a couple of scenarios where an entire warranty can be void by SOA. This wouldn't be one of them, but there ARE things that will cause SOA to completely void a warranty.

You said a warranty cannot be void, but it can. And I was also pointing out, that it is very possible that you can risk service denial due to a hood deflector that is specifically stated NOT FOR TURBO MODELS as it can and will divert air around the scoop - causing the motor to run excessively hot and potentially cause damage. You might want to work on that comprehension part.
Oh jesus... In this case his warranty cannot be voided. Service denied? Hell yes! But that's not what I said.
Can you describe said scenario where a warranty is VOIDED by installing a deflector? Or by installing ANY aftermarket parts? You keep saying service denial; yeah we already know that's possible, it wasn't the issue guy.

Damn man, you're like the old senile grandpa who just keeps repeating the same redundant crap over and over. Technically you're right but what you're saying has ZERO bearing here. We get it, you know a lot and you help out us newbs but you're so quick to try to poke holes in someones statement, you miss what's really being said.

Reading AND comprehension boss, you're still not getting it..
btc2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc2112 View Post
Oh jesus... In this case his warranty cannot be voided. Service denied? Hell yes! But that's not what I said.
You said a warranty can not be voided. Period. Which is wrong.

Quote:
Can you describe said scenario where a warranty is VOIDED by installing a deflector? Or by installing ANY aftermarket parts?
That isn't the question. If you want to keep talking about "reading comprehension", you might want to try it for yourself.

Quote:
You keep saying service denial; yeah we already know that's possible, it wasn't the issue guy.
Actually, it IS the issue. OP is concerned with warranty coverage after the tech mis-spoke and said the turbo warranty would be void. This is untrue, but the deflector CAN cause service denial - which is the exact thing OP is concerned about. Reading, its hard, i know.

Quote:
Damn man, you're like the old senile grandpa who just keeps repeating the same redundant crap over and over. Technically you're right but what you're saying has ZERO bearing here.
Read the third sentence of the post you quoted. Service denial is 100% what we are talking about, I was merely making the distinction between VOID and DENIAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
This wouldn't be one of them, but there ARE things that will cause SOA to completely void a warranty.
Again, reading is hard. I'm providing clarification in the mess that this thread has become (you know, with you trying to e-flex).

Quote:
We get it, you know a lot and you help out us newbs but you're so quick to try to poke holes in someones statement, you miss what's really being said.
I'm not poking holes in anyones statement. I was correcting what the tech said versus what he meant. I posted it several times already, though I'm sure you didn't even bother reading what I posted.

300k+ AND SCIC. Not surprised.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #18
btc2112
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322981
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 Door
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post

You said a warranty can not be voided. Period. Which is wrong.

That isn't the question. If you want to keep talking about "reading comprehension", you might want to try it for yourself.

Actually, it IS the issue. OP is concerned with warranty coverage after the tech mis-spoke and said the turbo warranty would be void. This is untrue, but the deflector CAN cause service denial - which is the exact thing OP is concerned about. Reading, its hard, i know.

Read the third sentence of the post you quoted. Service denial is 100% what we are talking about, I was merely making the distinction between VOID and DENIAL.

Again, reading is hard. I'm providing clarification in the mess that this thread has become (you know, with you trying to e-flex).

I'm not poking holes in anyones statement. I was correcting what the tech said versus what he meant. I posted it several times already, though I'm sure you didn't even bother reading what I posted.

300k+ AND SCIC. Not surprised.
We know what the tech said vs what he meant bud... That's what I pointed out before you wanted to chime in about common sense.
You seem to be stuck on that though. Yes service denial but not voided warranty.

We get it pops, you were a big deal back in your day...
btc2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc2112 View Post
We get it pops, you were a big deal back in your day...


you really are that stupid.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
CriticalityEvent
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281670
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default

Uh… thanks for the input guys. I guess I’ll be removing the deflector this weekend because my car threw misfire codes for all four cylinders so I had better take it in. Not the first time; it had a misfire on cylinder 1 a couple of months back.
CriticalityEvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.