Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > BRZ Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
ColSubie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 322816
Vehicle:
1996 GM2
Restoration

Default Brz/Fr-s related problems

Anybody have/having any noise complaints with the BRZ? Sorry, probably should have read around a bit but I assume the topic is fairly new. Got this sales manager complaining about his FR-S making a "ticking" noise when he turns hard or stops hard. We stripped it, which only amplified the noise. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ColSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru

Member#: 178811
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Grumbling, ticking, popping, and other noises made during turning are generally indicative of the differential. This car has a limited slip differential that could make noise like that, probably nothing (it is a performance unit out of a much heavier car after all), but you could drain the fluid and fill it again.

Check out this sub-forum on FT86club, there's a few threads about various noises and how to fix them.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
ColSubie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 GM2
Restoration

You, sir, are the man. I appreciate the help!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Grumbling, ticking, popping, and other noises made during turning are generally indicative of the differential. This car has a limited slip differential that could make noise like that, probably nothing (it is a performance unit out of a much heavier car after all), but you could drain the fluid and fill it again.

Check out this sub-forum on FT86club, there's a few threads about various noises and how to fix them.
It does not have a limited slip differential, contrary to what the marketing people would have you believe. It has a torque biasing differential which is different. A TBD is gear driven and does not make the usual clicks, pops, and ticks that the clutches in an LSD traditionally make. I strongly doubt the issue with the car in question is related to the TBD.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
ColSubie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 GM2
Restoration

It isn't the diff. It's the body. The factories didn't do a good job with their spot welds on the 3rd brake lamp part of the frame. Seems to be notorious in this years BRZ's and FR-S'. Glad it's happened before and people were able to help though. Definitely going to be TSB on it in Yota world. At least I'm sure it will be. But thanks again for throwing me in the right direction with the forum!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru

Member#: 178811
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
It does not have a limited slip differential, contrary to what the marketing people would have you believe. It has a torque biasing differential which is different. A TBD is gear driven and does not make the usual clicks, pops, and ticks that the clutches in an LSD traditionally make. I strongly doubt the issue with the car in question is related to the TBD.
I doubt the diff on a new car would go, hence the link to the sub-forum that has many threads on various noises. I realize it's not a clutch type LSD, but is that the only thing you consider a LSD? Regardless, you know way more than I do on the subject and I thank you for the education.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I doubt the diff on a new car would go, hence the link to the sub-forum that has many threads on various noises. I realize it's not a clutch type LSD, but is that the only thing you consider a LSD? Regardless, you know way more than I do on the subject and I thank you for the education.
The reason that we don't consider any of the gear driven differentials, regardless of make, limited slip differentials is because there is no limit to the amount of slip they will allow. Torque biasing, or torque sensing (torsen) differentials go open at the limit. Lift a wheel or get on some ice and have zero traction to one wheel and there will be no power transfer to the opposing wheel. A true limited slip differential will still continue to send some power to the other wheel.

Quaife is the worst offender in what I consider a campaign of misinformation. All over their website and marketing they call their TBDs LSDs. From a purely technical standpoint it's not true.

As a company that makes both types of designs of performance differentials we make a distinction. Most of our competition does not.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote