Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
2JZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291949
Default Can anyone weigh in on JDM STi engine swaps?

I have a 2.5i 92x wagon that I plan on swapping a ej257 into.
I'm shopping around for the engine and the best deal seems to be $3500 for a ej257 alone.

I found plenty of threads on USDM EJ20 vs STi JDM EJ20.
I need some helping weighing in on USDM STi motor vs JDM STi motor; do I lose DCCD etc etc

But i'm finding JDM STi V9 EJ20 with all this for $5500....

Complete EJ20 Engine Block & Head
6 Speed All Wheel Drive Transmission (Code: TY856WB7KA)
Intake Manifold
Turbo Manifold
Turbo
Up & Down Pipe
OEM Air Box & MAF Sensor
Injectors
Spark Plugs
Coil Pack
Alternator
Starter
Flywheel
Clutch
Power Steering Pump
Intercooler
ECU(S)
Stock Mounts & Sensors

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by 2JZ; 10-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.
2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Member#: 166324
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
3 turbos &n NA
@DBlockSTi

Good deal. If it's from a reputible vendor go for it. Cover all your bases first though. Research is key. On the vendor, compatiblity, extras that you might need or have to swap ect...
25rsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103663
Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

hardest part i found was the wiring. you will have to do a merge from your wagon the to motors harness. save the head aches, get someone like iWire to do it for you if you go this route, it will save you time an money.
RonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
2JZ
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW View Post
hardest part i found was the wiring. you will have to do a merge from your wagon the to motors harness. save the head aches, get someone like iWire to do it for you if you go this route, it will save you time an money.
I assume you swapped a JDM subaru motor before?

I've talked to Brian at iWire regarding the wiring for an EJ257 swap already, but before I bother him again I just wanted some opinions of USDM EJ257 vs these EJ20 STi blocks. The price seems to good to be true, and in my experience it almost always is. What are the cons here?

Last edited by 2JZ; 10-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103663
Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

Yep, mine is a bit of an odd ball swap but yes, 2005 JDM STi Spec-C which I got from Wali at JDMracingmotors.com and Brian helped me with the harness. same motor btw as what Britain and Kent installed in these two cars and both are also from Wali

these guys are spankin these motors, spinning it to 8200 on a regular basis and no problems so far. it was nice at my last ax to just take off in 2nd and just stay theyre the entire time and just take it to 8k and just focus on hitting my apex's and braking zones

as far as Cons, im not enough of an expert to really comment. know though that with a JDM ecu, you will not be able to use a Cobb system to tune.
RonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
2JZ
Scooby Newbie

^^^

thanks a lot; it's nice to see how these motors can be beaten so hard, underrated imo. I love what you've done that looks like the ultimate autocross beast!