Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
somethingpink03
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 140864
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Default Severe Drop in Fuel Mileage after Engine Rebuild??

After a weird engine malfunction forcing the left-hand side of my engine to be rebuilt, I have noticed a major drop in fuel mileage since getting my car back. I would usually average around 23-24mpg putzing around town, but ever since the motor work I have been averaging under 21mpg, and that has been mostly highway. I don't over-rev my engine or drive like an asshat, so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm back into a break-in period until my next oil change, so I have to keep it under 3500rpms or so.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem before? I have to go change out a headlight bulb here shortly, so I'm going to start my car up to see if I hear anything out of the ordinary like a vacuum leak or something.

The car has only 64,000 miles on it too, that's the worst part. This **** shouldn't be happening!

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
somethingpink03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
avesfan101
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 143332
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 wrx wagon stg 2
psm

I feel the pain man. I am having the same problem after replacing the short block in my wrx. After the first tank I am getting only 16.6 MPG!! Still searching for an answer.
avesfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
somethingpink03
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza Wagon
Satin White Pearl

It is very odd... even my boyfriend's WRX get's better mileage than my 2.5! All the work was done at a Subaru dealership in Pennslyvania where my car broke down. I may give my dealer here in NC and ask them about it. They're good guys there and don't throw around any BS.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

3500rpms is below the engine's efficient operating range. Don't know what idiot told you to keep it that low during break in. Starting revving it to 4000 or even 4500 rpm between shifts. Watch your gas mileage go back up and your engine will be more properly broken in.

Also, downshift and load the engine with engine breaking if you got new rings and are actually breaking it in. You need to break it in both up and down.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
somethingpink03
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson
3500rpms is below the engine's efficient operating range. Don't know what idiot told you to keep it that low during break in. Starting revving it to 4000 or even 4500 rpm between shifts. Watch your gas mileage go back up and your engine will be more properly broken in.

Also, downshift and load the engine with engine breaking if you got new rings and are actually breaking it in. You need to break it in both up and down.
The dealership that did the work told me to keep within that range, which I thought was odd too. Ill have to try giving it more gas between shifts like you said. Can't make it any worse at this point.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
avesfan101
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 143332
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 wrx wagon stg 2
psm

delete

Last edited by avesfan101; 01-09-2013 at 11:34 AM.
avesfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
dead
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334848

maybe who ever rebuilt it put in 10w-40. as a protective measure for break in. im not sure if this is common practice but it seems to make sense to me.
dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Eyedoc Orlando
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 146216
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i SE
Newport Blue Metallic

Any check engine lights or issues? Try a ECU Reset and run it through the gears, see how it does afterwards. Consider a new O2 sensor if it's malfunctioning (can be checked by a quality mechanic)

What work did they do on your car?
Eyedoc Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
fullCircling
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 290547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedoc Orlando View Post
Any check engine lights or issues? Try a ECU Reset and run it through the gears, see how it does afterwards. Consider a new O2 sensor if it's malfunctioning (can be checked by a quality mechanic)

good advice
fullCircling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
somethingpink03
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedoc Orlando

I had a new piston, rings, and exhaust valve put in my 4th cylinder, all new valve guides put in my LH cylinder head, new timing belt, etc.