Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #76
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

As I was driving down a dark road on my way into work this AM, I experimented with turning my fog lights on and off. I found that the fog lights illuminate the space in front of the car very nicely, and just where the light from the fogs cuts off is where the head lights start illuminating.

I'm quite satisfied with how the fog and head lights complement each other, and will leave my fog lights just the way they are (in terms of bulbs and aiming). I still like the yellow Lamin-X I added a few months ago, too.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #77
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
As I was driving down a dark road on my way into work this AM, I experimented with turning my fog lights on and off. I found that the fog lights illuminate the space in front of the car very nicely, and just where the light from the fogs cuts off is where the head lights start illuminating.

I'm quite satisfied with how the fog and head lights complement each other, and will leave my fog lights just the way they are (in terms of bulbs and aiming). I still like the yellow Lamin-X I added a few months ago, too.
you described what mine look like too
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #78
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I didn't proof read, should be buffing the haze off
Oh wow so you actually buff your headlights every 4 months? Do you use something like 3M's headlight restorer or something else (since your headlights shouldn't be in that bad of shape).
pkL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #79
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
Oh wow so you actually buff your headlights every 4 months? Do you use something like 3M's headlight restorer or something else (since your headlights shouldn't be in that bad of shape).
not my Subaru. our jetta, with 110k on it now and my buick with 223k. I have some meguirs i think and use my porter cable polisher to apply it.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #80
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

before headlights start to haze, i use a plastic sealant. I use wolfgang concours series
plastick surface sealant after I wash the car.
aeoporta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #81
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

Buffing/polishing the headlights prematurely will remove any of the UV coating they come with. You should use a headlight sealant after buffing to provide some UV protection. Without the UV protection, the lens will turn yellow eventually.

I've been putting 303 Aerospace Protectant on mine about once a month after a wash. I'll let you know in 5 years if it's effective.

Last edited by foghelmut; 10-19-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added sentence
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #82
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghelmut
Buffing/polishing the headlights prematurely will remove any of the UV coating they come with. You should use a headlight sealant after buffing to provide some UV protection. Without the UV protection, the lens will turn yellow eventually.

I've been putting 303 Aerospace Protectant on mine about once a month after a wash. I'll let you know in 5 years if it's effective.
But not if they need it, which our jetta did for the first time around 60k. Sealant didn't seem to work very well so I'm going to get the clear film
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #83
wrx2630
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 290232
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
Blue

Default

nevermind

Last edited by wrx2630; 10-20-2012 at 10:38 AM.
wrx2630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #84
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

hey i found these on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5202-H16-CRE...d8a651&vxp=mtr they will fit if you just cut off some of the tabs. but man, these look good. they should be brighter than what i have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/280900535271...84.m1497.l2649 . the problem with mine are, they are project the light out far in front of the car and the angle in which they do because of the projector, they dont project the light directly infront of the car. if i had found these i would have definitely bought these instead.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #85
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
hey i found these on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5202-H16-CRE...d8a651&vxp=mtr they will fit if you just cut off some of the tabs. but man, these look good. they should be brighter than what i have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/280900535271...84.m1497.l2649 . the problem with mine are, they are project the light out far in front of the car and the angle in which they do because of the projector, they dont project the light directly infront of the car. if i had found these i would have definitely bought these instead.
I got the same LEDs as you did for my back up lights and they seem to work fine, they are really bright. Are you using the LEDs somewhere else to notice those problems? I didn't really get what was the issue you had with them, they don't project light straight?
pkL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #86
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

no i am using them just as foglights. they do project the light forward. the oem foglights light up the area right in front of the car, behind where the headlight begins. my led lights up the same area as the headlights and not behind them.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #87
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
my led lights up the same area as the headlights and not behind them.
Sounds redundant.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #88
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
no i am using them just as foglights. they do project the light forward. the oem foglights light up the area right in front of the car, behind where the headlight begins. my led lights up the same area as the headlights and not behind them.
Oh got it, maybe you can swap them out and put them in your reverse lights. I thought that's what they were initially designed for. I don't think there is anyway you can adjust them to light up the front of the car either.
pkL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #89
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

crazy idea: there seems to be 2 additional light connections, 1 for each headlight, I surmise this is to add those lovely rally style headlights on the grille, That would give you
some extra lighting if you needed it.
aeoporta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #90
Omie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331611
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 Wrx 5dr
DGM

Default

i have a set of the sylvania zxe bulbs in my car for the low/hi and the fogs and they are pretty bright they cost a pretty penny but it was the first thing i changed after i bought the car because the factory bulbs, i couldnt see anything at night and now its a total night and day difference
Omie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #91
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omie View Post
i have a set of the sylvania zxe bulbs in my car for the low/hi and the fogs and they are pretty bright they cost a pretty penny but it was the first thing i changed after i bought the car because the factory bulbs, i couldnt see anything at night and now its a total night and day difference
So you were saying these are available for the fog lights too?
pkL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #92
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omie View Post
i have a set of the sylvania zxe bulbs in my car for the low/hi and the fogs and they are pretty bright they cost a pretty penny but it was the first thing i changed after i bought the car because the factory bulbs, i couldnt see anything at night and now its a total night and day difference
what size did you buy for the fog? PSX24W?
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #93
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a zxe bulb?

Is it one of those silver star type bulbs that are supposed to be brighter but really aren't because they have a blue dye on them? They appear to be brighter because of the blueish hue but actually throw off less lumens than a regular halogen.

Last edited by jr0bb5; 10-24-2012 at 04:15 PM.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #94
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

100% street legal and meets all DOT requirements
50% brighter than a standard bulb of equivalent brightness - Provides up to 4200K color
Crisp, white light - the look, feel and attitude of HID
The best peripheral vision - great for reflective roadside signage or markers as well as identifying animals, pedestrians or other potential hazards

This type of thing is a zxe bulb....
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #95
winglik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317022
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

I think the fog lights work well when the road is dark. Won't see much difference on lighted street. But they do work as they intended to.
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #96
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglik View Post
I think the fog lights work well when the road is dark. Won't see much difference on lighted street. But they do work as they intended to.
Only if they are aimed correctly, mine were next to worthless until I adjusted the aim.

This information is covered previously in this thread, but trust me, when they are aimed as far down as they can be, they don't light up anything.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #97
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a zxe bulb?

Is it one of those silver star type bulbs that are supposed to be brighter but really aren't because they have a blue dye on them? They appear to be brighter because of the blueish hue but actually throw off less lumens than a regular halogen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Omaha View Post
100% street legal and meets all DOT requirements
50% brighter than a standard bulb of equivalent brightness - Provides up to 4200K color
Crisp, white light - the look, feel and attitude of HID
The best peripheral vision - great for reflective roadside signage or markers as well as identifying animals, pedestrians or other potential hazards

This type of thing is a zxe bulb....
so yes they are actually worse.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #98
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Omaha
100% street legal and meets all DOT requirements
50% brighter than a standard bulb of equivalent brightness - Provides up to 4200K color
Crisp, white light - the look, feel and attitude of HID
The best peripheral vision - great for reflective roadside signage or markers as well as identifying animals, pedestrians or other potential hazards

This type of thing is a zxe bulb....
Waste of money IMHO. You're better off spending another $50 and getting a halfway decent set of 4300k HIDs. That way you get the HID "look" and the light output of a actual HID bulb.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #99
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Not endorsing - just passing information.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #100
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Waste of money IMHO. You're better off spending another $50 and getting a halfway decent set of 4300k HIDs. That way you get the HID "look" and the light output of a actual HID bulb.
There was a member on here that had HIDs in his fog lights, he said that it heated up too much and cause the housing to get hazy. The stock bulb is a low power low heat bulb.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.