Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
MikeCee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136687
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: crosby, vokoun, tk, orpik
Vehicle:
15 iginla, dup...

Default

I am going to get a large suv. Yes i need it, mostly so i can put on makeup and talk on my phone while im driving something i cant handle.

Right now im thinking either a 2008 suburban or yukon xl. School me on the following:

* im seeing these as more reliable than other model years. Is this accurate?
* how is overall reliability for suburbans and yukons of this generation? What are the usual trouble spots to check before purchase?
* is the 5.3l enough to haul a family of 5 and 2 weeks worth of stuff and still have decent acceleration/pull up long hills, or do i need the 6l with 6 speed?
* if i get the 5.3l (towing isnt a dealbreaker), can these cars pull a small-medium boat well?
* if i were to get the bench seats, does the end seat in the middle row fold easily enough to help a kid get in a carseat in the third row without breaking a rib? And if so, can i safely mount two other car seats on the unfolded middle row seats?

Seeing what i wrote above, feel free to recommend something else. I want large cargo capacity without folding or removing the third row, ease of ingress/egress to help buckle someone in to the third row, reliability and decent acceleration/handling/braking for a car that size.
I'd like to find that in a 2007 or newer, with 75k mi or less and $25k or less. I'd prefer leather and a dvd/child muzzle system.

Edit: i searched. Maybe im not good at it, but i tried.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MikeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Drink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 102682
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Woodberry, IN
Vehicle:
... ripper's
sister.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCee View Post
I am going to get a large suv. Yes i need it, mostly so i can put on makeup and talk on my phone while im driving something i cant handle.

Right now im thinking either a 2008 suburban or yukon xl. School me on the following:

* im seeing these as more reliable than other model years. Is this accurate?
* how is overall reliability for suburbans and yukons of this generation? What are the usual trouble spots to check before purchase?
* is the 5.3l enough to haul a family of 5 and 2 weeks worth of stuff and still have decent acceleration/pull up long hills, or do i need the 6l with 6 speed?
* if i get the 5.3l (towing isnt a dealbreaker), can these cars pull a small-medium boat well?
* if i were to get the bench seats, does the end seat in the middle row fold easily enough to help a kid get in a carseat in the third row without breaking a rib? And if so, can i safely mount two other car seats on the unfolded middle row seats?

Seeing what i wrote above, feel free to recommend something else. I want large cargo capacity without folding or removing the third row, ease of ingress/egress to help buckle someone in to the third row, reliability and decent acceleration/handling/braking for a car that size.
I'd like to find that in a 2007 or newer, with 75k mi or less and $25k or less. I'd prefer leather and a dvd/child muzzle system.

Edit: i searched. Maybe im not good at it, but i tried.
Marauder.
Drink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
foothill
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 292246
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sunshine State
Vehicle:
2001 SwedishMeatball
Graying

Default

I'd get a Marauder. It has everything you are looking for and more. Colorado is often also a good choice.
foothill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
RastaMon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 106431
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Weazel Plaza, Apt 101
Default



RastaMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
ClassicPurcell
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299709
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 703
Vehicle:
1999 Toyota Camry

Default

Ford Exploder Explorer with the Firestone tire package. It adds gas mileage.
ClassicPurcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Akirasoft
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2973
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wonder Lake, IL
Vehicle:
2011 GT500 SVTPP
Black

Default

minivan. seriously. Honda Odyssey perhaps?
Akirasoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
The Motel Fella
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 140147
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: League City, TX
Vehicle:
02 B12S '13 Sienna
I make minivans look hot

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasoft View Post
minivan. seriously. Honda Odyssey perhaps?
Boom.
Get on my level Jerzee Boy

Seriously though MC...
Cheaper to own & operate. Better fit for getting little people in/out. Way better MPGs.

Unless you need the ground clearance + 4x4...skip them.

You can get the Siennas with AWD I think...not sure.
The Motel Fella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Akirasoft
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2973
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wonder Lake, IL
Vehicle:
2011 GT500 SVTPP
Black

Default

even without concern for MPG, minivans really are made for getting children and shorter people into and out of them easier. SUVs, especially full size body on frame SUVs, not so much.

just something to consider.
Akirasoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasoft View Post
minivan. seriously. Honda Odyssey perhaps?
Exactly.

Everything described screams minivan.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see that you want large storage area behind the third row.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
MikeCee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136687
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: crosby, vokoun, tk, orpik
Vehicle:
15 iginla, dup...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey Wales

Marauder.
I am a vagina marauder. And now this is what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothill
I'd get a Marauder. It has everything you are looking for and more. Colorado is often also a good choice.
No marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaMon

I live 5 miles from work so its livable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicPurcell
Ford Exploder Explorer with the Firestone tire package. It adds gas mileage.
Excursion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasoft
minivan. seriously. Honda Odyssey perhaps?
MikeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
MikeCee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136687
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: crosby, vokoun, tk, orpik
Vehicle:
15 iginla, dup...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasoft
minivan. seriously. Honda Odyssey perhaps?
it has come to this.

Youre right, but i cant.
MikeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
MikeCee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136687
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: crosby, vokoun, tk, orpik
Vehicle:
15 iginla, dup...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer

Exactly.

Everything described screams minivan.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see that you want large storage area behind the third row.
Its true. But we also take the kids places most weekends in the summer so we need the third row up and i hate putting things on the roof if i can avoid it.
MikeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
torquemada
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128484
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Germany
Vehicle:
2006 EDM WRX STI
WRB

Default

torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
MikeCee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136687
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: crosby, vokoun, tk, orpik
Vehicle:
15 iginla, dup...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasoft
even without concern for MPG, minivans really are made for getting children and shorter people into and out of them easier. SUVs, especially full size body on frame SUVs, not so much.

just something to consider.
Maybe i can install a wheelchair lift. How effed uo would that be?
MikeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
MikeCee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136687
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: crosby, vokoun, tk, orpik
Vehicle:
15 iginla, dup...

Default

Torquemada, Extended cargo area? Reliability? Vomitous dashboard delete option?

Ignore the last question as i am going to have to potentially get past it.

Can i get it for that price and mileage?
MikeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
The Motel Fella
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 140147
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: League City, TX
Vehicle:
02 B12S '13 Sienna
I make minivans look hot

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCee View Post
it has come to this.

Youre right, but i cant.

Dude.
Go drive one.
I swear you won't grow a vagina. Get one in a mannish color. I am driving a Havasu Blue one...it practically screams "It's his wife's car" and soccer moms are still on my crotch like velcro.


Well, kind of. If dreams are reality then it's 100% true
The Motel Fella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
foothill
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 292246
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sunshine State
Vehicle:
2001 SwedishMeatball
Graying

Default

Minivan

*snip*
foothill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
Drink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 102682
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Woodberry, IN
Vehicle:
... ripper's
sister.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCee View Post
I am a vagina marauder. And now this is what happened.
Didn't you learn anything in jr. high anatomy class? If you pull out, you're golden.
Drink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
MikeCee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136687
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: crosby, vokoun, tk, orpik
Vehicle:
15 iginla, dup...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Motel Fella

Dude.
Go drive one.
I swear you won't grow a vagina. Get one in a mannish color. I am driving a Havasu Blue one...it practically screams "It's his wife's car" and soccer moms are still on my crotch like velcro.

Well, kind of. If dreams are reality then it's 100% true
Stop talking im caving
MikeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
Akirasoft
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2973
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wonder Lake, IL
Vehicle:
2011 GT500 SVTPP
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCee View Post
it has come to this.

Youre right, but i cant.
it really isn't that bad. if anything it is worse to be seen in a minivan than an SUV these days. *shrug*

it will be quieter and ride better. you could put a good stereo in it or something so you can rock out when the kids aren't in the car?
Akirasoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
The Motel Fella
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 140147
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: League City, TX
Vehicle:
02 B12S '13 Sienna
I make minivans look hot

Default

The only thing I wouldn't try is towing a boat.
If that is really a deal breaker you are firmly in SUV territory.
But the rest...easy.
The Motel Fella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
MikeCee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136687
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: crosby, vokoun, tk, orpik
Vehicle:
15 iginla, dup...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey Wales

Didn't you learn anything in jr. high anatomy class? If you pull out, you're golden.
Yeah. I know. And i didnt. Its all a bit surreal at this moment. Im not sure why i did that.
MikeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
MikeCee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136687
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: crosby, vokoun, tk, orpik
Vehicle:
15 iginla, dup...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasoft

it really isn't that bad. if anything it is worse to be seen in a minivan than an SUV these days. *shrug*

it will be quieter and ride better. you could put a good stereo in it or something so you can rock out when the kids aren't in the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Motel Fella
The only thing I wouldn't try is towing a boat.
If that is really a deal breaker you are firmly in SUV territory.
But the rest...easy.
Do you guys really own minivans as a dd? How is the rear cargo for family vacations?
MikeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
The Motel Fella
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 140147
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: League City, TX
Vehicle:
02 B12S '13 Sienna
I make minivans look hot

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCee View Post
Yeah. I know. And i didnt. Its all a bit surreal at this moment. Im not sure why i did that.
Wait, is this again?
Is this with your ex...or did you all reconcile? New woman?


EDIT: Check the sig. Yes, I really do. I can shove 2 dead body size suitcases and an assortment of smaller bags without dropping the rear. Longest we've done is a week and it was a cinch.
The Motel Fella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
Drink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 102682
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Woodberry, IN
Vehicle:
... ripper's
sister.

Default

Whoa. Micheal? Ex?
Drink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.