Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 26, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
kaibot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386995
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default New Scoob and new to NASIOC!

Howdy everyone,

I recently bought a new (to me) '03 WRX Bugeye so, naturally, the time came to join NASIOC. The truth is, I was never really a car person until I owned this car. A good buddy of mine has a 3rd Gen WRX and since I first rode in his car, I knew I wanted to get a Scoob eventually but didn't care to learn much about them until now.

Anyway, I have been in love with this WRX and have already driven it across Michigan a few times . That being said, a few modifications on the car have been made and it appears the turbo does not hit the ~13psi it should in a stock config. Upon conducting WOT tests (3rd gear and at around 4k r/min) I'm sitting at .05 MPa (7.25psi). I will probably be making a post on the Turbos sub-forum once I research more and can gather more details about my car; I don't want to be that noob that posts things without first researching .

What it came with:
  • Turbo-back cat-less exhaust (which IMO, the muffler is really ugly)
  • Greddy turbo timer
  • Probably non-stock BOV
  • Sound system that is probably not hooked up right
  • Subwoofers, plural (overkill for me)
  • New brakes
  • New clutch

I'll post a picture of the car when I get home tonight.

-kaibot
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Welcome to the forum, kaibot. Congrats on the WRX! Sounds like you're already having fun with it. Here's a resource that should keep you busy for a while.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

Lots of good stuff that'll help you understand your WRX.

One thing you should investigate right away is how the car is tuned, (if it's tuned). That's an important thing to know since the car is modified with a TBE and non-stock BOV. Your car is less finicky about mods than the later WRXs, but you'll still want to know how the car is tuned, as it will help with your boost issue, most likely.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Kuros
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 328669
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Reno, NV
Vehicle:
2011 STi boosted FRS
04 sti

Default

are you asking a question?
If you are just looking for a good place to research, nasioc is a good place. BUT take everything with a very large grain of salt.

Never ever trust forums.
especially this one.


except for this post, trust this one.
Kuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
colin1234567
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 212639
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
WRX= 13/SWP/SOLD
'10 NC2 Miata

Default

Ask as much as you can before that previous owner disappears.

Then find a new tuner to see what they can do, check regional forums to see who is recommended near you.

Welcome!
colin1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
milab21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 157833
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ Jersey Shore
Vehicle:
2007 WRB STI

Default

Welcome!
milab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Nicky4Pin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 377320
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Elmhurst, IL
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
SGM

Default

Welcome and congrats on the purchase! I was like you -- not really a car guy until I bought my '06 WRX. I've spent countless hours reading/researching.
Nicky4Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Bowtie4Life
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387265
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default

I am new as well! I love scoobys. Welcome! as Welcome to my self.
Bowtie4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
kaibot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386995
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Gallo2011: Thanks! Yes, I've been trying to read up as much of the manifesto as I can. Not the most light reading but good information nonetheless. As far as tuning is concerned, the previous owner has no idea if it was tuned or not. He bought it last year in August and sold it this month to me (he wanted a different car). I'm looking for what the best way for me to figure this out myself is lol.

Kuros: Thanks for the advice I'll be sure to double check dubious suggestions/comments.

Colin/Gallo: Like I said, unfortunately the previous owner doesn't really have an idea of what was done to this car except what I listed.

Everyone else: Thanks for the welcome!

EDIT: It does appear that the BPV is actually the stock one. I know what the model/brand of the cat-back is but not sure what the downpipe/midpipe are.

Also, here is the picture of the car:

kaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
kaibot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386995
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1234567 View Post

Then find a new tuner to see what they can do, check regional forums to see who is recommended near you.
What is the going rate for a tuner? I'm just wondering if it would be worth it for me to buy a COBB AP or learn how to use EcuFlash and buy a Tactrix Openport than pay someone to tune the car.
kaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibot View Post
Gallo2011: Thanks! Yes, I've been trying to read up as much of the manifesto as I can. Not the most light reading but good information nonetheless. As far as tuning is concerned, the previous owner has no idea if it was tuned or not. He bought it last year in August and sold it this month to me (he wanted a different car). I'm looking for what the best way for me to figure this out myself is lol.

Colin/Gallo: Like I said, unfortunately the previous owner doesn't really have an idea of what was done to this car except what I listed.
Assume it isn't tuned then. You have several options.

1. Cobb Accessport. Visit Cobb's website for more info.

2. Dyno/road tune - Best tune you can get for your car. Actually less expensive than an Accessport, assuming the tuner you choose tunes via open source.

3. E-tune. Eric at Torqued Performance can be contacted for more details.

4. If you're good with a laptop, you can connect a tactrix cable to your car and tune it yourself. If you're like a lot of us, this isn't really an option, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Good luck!
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibot View Post
What is the going rate for a tuner? I'm just wondering if it would be worth it for me to buy a COBB AP or learn how to use EcuFlash and buy a Tactrix Openport than pay someone to tune the car.
To be blunt, if this your sole means of transportation, let a professional tune your engine rather than risk damaging it yourself. This is not meant as a dig towards you, but learning to tune an engine doesn't happen overnight and you can't afford to have your car down for an extended period of time practicing tuning. Plus you need to get the car tuned sooner rather than later.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
kaibot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386995
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo2011 View Post
Assume it isn't tuned then. You have several options.

1. Cobb Accessport. Visit Cobb's website for more info.

2. Dyno/road tune - Best tune you can get for your car. Actually less expensive than an Accessport, assuming the tuner you choose tunes via open source.

3. E-tune. Eric at Torqued Performance can be contacted for more details.

4. If you're good with a laptop, you can connect a tactrix cable to your car and tune it yourself. If you're like a lot of us, this isn't really an option, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Good luck!
That's what I figured I should do, assume it isn't. Before I look into these I want to rule out other reasons I may be boosting low (under-boosting?). I've snapped a few photos of my engine and will likely be making a detailed post about my problem soon. I'll be sure to put a link here.

Would you know if swapping out the exhaust plus putting in a HF filter in the stock airbox could lead to the low boost? Shot in the dark, perhaps, but I figured I would ask since I gotcha here
kaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
kaibot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386995
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo2011 View Post
To be blunt, if this your sole means of transportation, let a professional tune your engine rather than risk damaging it yourself. This is not meant as a dig towards you, but learning to tune an engine doesn't happen overnight and you can't afford to have your car down for an extended period of time practicing tuning. Plus you need to get the car tuned sooner rather than later.
Fair enough. Here's what I'm thinking, albeit probably misguided:

1. If I go get a professional tune, do I run the risk of not really fixing anything especially if it is my turbo that has a big problem with it?

2. Would the tuner also be able to tell me what might be wrong with the boost problem?

3. If I just get the COBB, I should be able to easily tune so perhaps just get this.

4. Yes, I probably don't want to destroy my soul means of transportation. Get it, soul... like, sole but... I'll see myself out.

What's the going rate of hiring a tuner?
kaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibot View Post
That's what I figured I should do, assume it isn't. Before I look into these I want to rule out other reasons I may be boosting low (under-boosting?). I've snapped a few photos of my engine and will likely be making a detailed post about my problem soon. I'll be sure to put a link here.

Would you know if swapping out the exhaust plus putting in a HF filter in the stock airbox could lead to the low boost? Shot in the dark, perhaps, but I figured I would ask since I gotcha here
Just a guess, but I think it's possible your ECU is in some sort of "limp mode" with that TBE and no tune installed. I think the best thing you can do is get your engine tuned appropriately and see if that resolves the issue. A good tuner can probably diagnose the issue himself.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #15
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibot View Post
Fair enough. Here's what I'm thinking, albeit probably misguided:

1. If I go get a professional tune, do I run the risk of not really fixing anything especially if it is my turbo that has a big problem with it?

2. Would the tuner also be able to tell me what might be wrong with the boost problem?

3. If I just get the COBB, I should be able to easily tune so perhaps just get this.

4. Yes, I probably don't want to destroy my soul means of transportation. Get it, soul... like, sole but... I'll see myself out.

What's the going rate of hiring a tuner?
You're allowed one joke per visit here. That was it, you're done.

With the AP, you can flash the stage 2 map and see if that resolves the low boost issue. If it doesn't, you may have something mechanically wrong with your engine that will need to be diagnosed. AP is an expensive way of trying to resolve the problem, so it may be best to discuss your issue with a tuner first. Most dyno tunes run anywhere from $350-500.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
kaibot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386995
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo2011 View Post
Just a guess, but I think it's possible your ECU is in some sort of "limp mode" with that TBE and no tune installed. I think the best thing you can do is get your engine tuned appropriately and see if that resolves the issue. A good tuner can probably diagnose the issue himself.
The fact that I am around 8psi (after reading in other threads) does seem to indicate a "limp mode". Missing the pill can be one of these issues, among many others, so I'm going to snap some photos and look to see if the pill is there (or in the right spot to begin with).

I will be using this to help me find it:
kaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #17
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Get yourself over here and run the boost issue by these folks too.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

A lot more experience with the 2.0 than I have.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #18
Wallace STI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386906
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cartersville GA
Vehicle:
2014 STI
Black

Default

Welcome!!
Wallace STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #19
kaibot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386995
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo2011 View Post
Get yourself over here and run the boost issue by these folks too.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

A lot more experience with the 2.0 than I have.
Ah, thanks for that link, you saved me a bit of clicking around! I shall post something on there after dinner and after a few more pictures. Thank you very much for the pointers.

EDIT: Grammar errors
kaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #20
kaibot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386995
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

kaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
kaibot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386995
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Fixed! Looks like the pill was in the wrong hose. Switched the hoses and now all is good.
kaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.