Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
303GWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 298980
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2008 SSM WRX Sedan
TP Stage 2

Default 08 WRX Power Steering Noise - Pump or rack?

EDIT: Update after checking PS Fluid levels. Fluid was super low, which was causing the whine. I filled it up to the proper amount and no longer have the noise issues but I do feel a few slight jerks in the wheel when turning, which are barely noticeable. There is obviously a leak somewhere so that will be my next venture.

-----

I recently had my subie in at the dealer and they told me my power steering rack? was going, it could not be repaired (unserviceable), and it was fine to drive until it got worse, which would then require replacement. I didn't notice anything at the time but now when I start my car there is a noticeable whine, which gets louder as rpm's increase and when I turn the wheel there is a clicking sound and the wheel shudders a bit. The video below demonstrates the "shudder" (at 0:05) and then the whine after. The sound is not the best so you may have to turn it up.

I have been through all of the "Power Steering Noise" threads and I seem to have the same issue. I have searched for "Power Steering Rack" and I can't find anything regarding the "rack" itself. The subaru tech said it was the Power Steering Rack which needed to be replaced so I am a little confused.

Does anyone know if this issue sounds more like a power steering pump and not the rack itself? Or if it is the rack, has anyone had to replace it?

Thanks in advance
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by 303GWRX; 10-16-2012 at 02:36 PM.
303GWRX is offline   Reply With Quote