Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #51
JASWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40742
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LA, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

I might have to test that. Usually I am not high rps in parking lots, but I can certainly do a test, and report back. Do I put it in first and turn, going like 10-15?

I know for a fact it does it in neutral, 1st, gear (only gone to 5000), and reverse

Liquid, am I understanding? Should I do a certain test to answer your question properly?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by JASWRX; 10-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.
JASWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #52
jdblock
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 235211
Join Date: Jan 2010
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

What ATF did you use specifically?
jdblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #53
LuvJuggs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 113807
Join Date: Apr 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASWRX View Post
I guess 3 Suby shops are wrong. LOL. Remember, the tires shutter when moving them up in the air, proving its the rack, nothing else.
There is over 2000racks out there maybe you werent patient enough to break a freshly cut rack in. You will find what? 10-15 that have ever even leaked? 20yrs going, thats a solid record. Ever seen the redbull cars? by vermont? KenBlocks car? Or 100's other rally cars? no issues. You mod your car then complain about it not being a cushy as a factory caddilac.

Freshly cut rack grinds and shudders, takes a bit to work it in. You got two racks out of it. Send the other one back, I'll put it in a car here in Ontario free, if it works fine you pay me $1200, if it doesnt work fine I'll pay Yimis bill. Fair enough?

This will be my last and only post on the issue. Contact me on IWSTI where I am a vendor.

-Akshay @Q-RACK!
LuvJuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #54
JASWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40742
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LA, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblock View Post
What ATF did you use specifically?
I don't remember. Tibor told me as long as it is ATF, there should be no problem.
JASWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #55
JASWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40742
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LA, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Are you serious?? NO THAT IS NOT FAIR! You have broken your promise to both Yimi and I, and have switched sides, and are asking me to pay you if it works. That is not at all what we ALL agreed on. You did not pay Yimi, bottom line, as you said you would, and have ignored both of us. You ran away from the problem.

Anybody, want to call Yimi, and ask them what they think of Q-rack??
Yimi has called and emailed them several times, and QRack does not reply. That is HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

No one said anything about being cushy, BUT, it is not suppose to shutter, and YOU told me so. I was told by your company, that it would act similar to stock, just way faster, and should not be shuttering. WHY would have you agreed to send me another rack if this is "normal?" I have lost so much respect in your company, it is unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvJuggs View Post
There is over 2000racks out there maybe you werent patient enough to break a freshly cut rack in. You will find what? 10-15 that have ever even leaked? 20yrs going, thats a solid record. Ever seen the redbull cars? by vermont? KenBlocks car? Or 100's other rally cars? no issues. You mod your car then complain about it not being a cushy as a factory caddilac.

Freshly cut rack grinds and shudders, takes a bit to work it in. You got two racks out of it. Send the other one back, I'll put it in a car here in Ontario free, if it works fine you pay me $1200, if it doesnt work fine I'll pay Yimis bill. Fair enough?

This will be my last and only post on the issue. Contact me on IWSTI where I am a vendor.

-Akshay @Q-RACK!

Last edited by JASWRX; 10-12-2012 at 08:45 PM.
JASWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #56
BlueSTI4Me
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34361
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MI
Vehicle:
04.7 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASWRX View Post
I don't remember. Tibor told me as long as it is ATF, there should be no problem.
I would disagree, Dexron III is recommended. I run Dexron VI with no issues. If you aren't running either, my suggestion is a drain and refill.
BlueSTI4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #57
JASWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40742
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LA, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSTI4Me View Post
I would disagree, Dexron III is recommended. I run Dexron VI with no issues. If you aren't running either, my suggestion is a drain and refill.
Aww, Dexron III that is it. That's what I used.
JASWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #58
jdblock
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 235211
Join Date: Jan 2010
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

I knew you would say Dextron III if I posted that's what I used, so I didn't. Somehow I don't think you did use it.

Drain it and use the right stuff, not the cheapest stuff.
jdblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #59
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Default

shutter ≠ shudder
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #60
JASWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40742
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LA, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblock View Post
I knew you would say Dextron III if I posted that's what I used, so I didn't. Somehow I don't think you did use it.

Drain it and use the right stuff, not the cheapest stuff.

I am not in this to lie. That would do me no good. It says Dextron III on the cover, is this not the right stuff? It's what every Subaru I have flushed the fluid with.

This is what I used the 1st time. The I switch to another ATF/Dextron III.

Do you want me to prove this to you by calling the shop and asking them to send a picture.


Please post a picture of what i should be using.
JASWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #61
vicious_fishes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 GD w/EZ30D swap

Default

bloody hell, any dextron 3 is fine.

did i read somewhere you both swapped to a Q-rack AND underdriven pulleys? and it's fine at higher RPM's but not low?

i want to say it's just the pump being spun too slowly to keep up when you're parking. Q-rack has less leverage so needs more pressure, and underdriven pulleys provide even less pressure than stock, so i'd say you're just not making enough pressure at low RPM's. as i've already said along with others, if it was the rack it would be happening all the time. what changes in the steering with RPM's other than pressure? nothing. so it has to be lack of pressure.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #62
ToddMcF2002
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 135007
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Plymouth, MA
Vehicle:
2014 STi Hatch
Crystal Black Silica

Default

I like that logic but you'd think with the wheels in the air the low RPM wouldn't be an issue. This is one reason I don't want to put too many things on my car at once, makes diagnosis difficult. Does the OP have the stock pulleys?
ToddMcF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #63
BlueSTI4Me
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34361
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MI
Vehicle:
04.7 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
bloody hell, any dextron 3 is fine.

did i read somewhere you both swapped to a Q-rack AND underdriven pulleys? and it's fine at higher RPM's but not low?

i want to say it's just the pump being spun too slowly to keep up when you're parking. Q-rack has less leverage so needs more pressure, and underdriven pulleys provide even less pressure than stock, so i'd say you're just not making enough pressure at low RPM's. as i've already said along with others, if it was the rack it would be happening all the time. what changes in the steering with RPM's other than pressure? nothing. so it has to be lack of pressure.
One of the reasons I asked the OP to raise idle speed during the condition. That would confirm low pressure at low rpm in my mind. Good stuff here.
BlueSTI4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #64
BlueSTI4Me
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34361
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MI
Vehicle:
04.7 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASWRX View Post
I might have to test that. Usually I am not high rps in parking lots, but I can certainly do a test, and report back. Do I put it in first and turn, going like 10-15?

I know for a fact it does it in neutral, 1st, gear (only gone to 5000), and reverse

Liquid, am I understanding? Should I do a certain test to answer your question properly?
Pretty much how I would do it.
Empty parking lot
Roll at speed above complaint speed
Push clutch in
Raise idle speed 1500 rpm or so while coasting in neutral and make turns from 20 mph down to zero. If no shuddering, issue is pressure related. Resolve pressure concern and move on.
BlueSTI4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #65
Cheveyboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34773
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte NC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STi
SWP

Default

What blows my mind is how you put a 06 rack in a 02 unless I missed the part with the replacing of the front cross memeber. Or some other smaller detail.
Cheveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #66
JASWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40742
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LA, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

no underdrive pulley here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
bloody hell, any dextron 3 is fine.

did i read somewhere you both swapped to a Q-rack AND underdriven pulleys? and it's fine at higher RPM's but not low?

i want to say it's just the pump being spun too slowly to keep up when you're parking. Q-rack has less leverage so needs more pressure, and underdriven pulleys provide even less pressure than stock, so i'd say you're just not making enough pressure at low RPM's. as i've already said along with others, if it was the rack it would be happening all the time. what changes in the steering with RPM's other than pressure? nothing. so it has to be lack of pressure.
JASWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #67
JASWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40742
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LA, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveyboy View Post
What blows my mind is how you put a 06 rack in a 02 unless I missed the part with the replacing of the front cross memeber. Or some other smaller detail.
just had to use the right tie rods. What blows my mind is they sent the wrong one to me. Let's get back on topic.

Last edited by JASWRX; 10-13-2012 at 03:14 PM.
JASWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #68
JASWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40742
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LA, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSTI4Me View Post
Pretty much how I would do it.
Empty parking lot
Roll at speed above complaint speed
Push clutch in
Raise idle speed 1500 rpm or so while coasting in neutral and make turns from 20 mph down to zero. If no shuddering, issue is pressure related. Resolve pressure concern and move on.
ok, I will put the car in neutral, rev up to 1500+ and make a turn.

so any Dextron III is fine. I thought so. So I don't think that is the problem.

Last edited by JASWRX; 10-13-2012 at 03:16 PM.
JASWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #69
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveyboy View Post
What blows my mind is how you put a 06 rack in a 02 unless I missed the part with the replacing of the front cross memeber. Or some other smaller detail.
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASWRX View Post
just had to use the right tie rods. What blows my mind is they sent the wrong one to me. Let's get back on topic.
Tie rods have nothing to do with it, the 06 is a completely different mounting system and would require an 06 crossmember. Tie rods differ from wagon to sedan and maybe from year to year, but it does not change the fact that you cannot bolt an 06 rack into an 02 crossmember. That alone makes me question the shops abilities. 2 Racks, supposedly completely different application with identical issues points to a different cause (improper bleeding, low pressure or bad hoses) I hate the 02+ style pumps, way too many connections that can allow air into the system. 01 and back style pumps are much more reliable.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #70
JASWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40742
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LA, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

definitely did not switch cross-members. maybe it was not the tie rods specifically, although I thought it was for sure.

Tibor sincerely apologized for the messup since he sent the wrong rack, and say he would pay Yimi for the extra parts we had to get, and of course did not.

Here is Yimi's number since you don't believe me661) 251-3966. You can ask them all about what they did to make it fit. Nothing special.

Now that I think about it, I hope Yimi sees this thread.

Last edited by JASWRX; 10-13-2012 at 04:32 PM.
JASWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #71
jdblock
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 235211
Join Date: Jan 2010
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16532

You don't need to change the cross member to fit a 05+ rack into a 02 WRX.
jdblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #72
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

I have seen that idiotic method before. It's not "bolt in", it eliminates all the positives of the cannon mounts and is considerably weaker than a stock installation. So yes, you can back woods engineer a "solution" but that does not make it a good way.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #73
ToddMcF2002
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 135007
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Plymouth, MA
Vehicle:
2014 STi Hatch
Crystal Black Silica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
My thoughts exactly.



...but it does not change the fact that you cannot bolt an 06 rack into an 02 crossmember. That alone makes me question the shops abilities.
He has QRack solid hard mounts. He doesn't need any additional support to compensate for the crappy factory rubber bushings.
ToddMcF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #74
jdblock
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 235211
Join Date: Jan 2010
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
I have seen that idiotic method before. It's not "bolt in", it eliminates all the positives of the cannon mounts and is considerably weaker than a stock installation. So yes, you can back woods engineer a "solution" but that does not make it a good way.
Seems the people who have done it would say you're wrong.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2233015
jdblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #75
BlueSTI4Me
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34361
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MI
Vehicle:
04.7 STI
WRB

Default

HS, better let them know your background. Hope all is well with you and yours.
BlueSTI4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.