Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 30, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
413GC8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 361961
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
Silver

Default Signs of a bad headgasket 99' 2.5RS

The motor was replaced with the timing belt, ect last summer. Has around 100k on motor. Did the timing belt, pulleys, ect.

I noticed the motor is starting to loose coolant, however my radiator was also replaced a few months ago along with a new coil pack. I added some coolant and noticed the motor heated up quickly but didn't over heat after 3 hours on the highway (yes lots of highway driving). My oil was low so I added some and now after driving it a few weeks the oil is wayyy up on the dipstick. I also noticed a small little puddle after parking it over snow.

The weird thing is that my motor isn't running rough and no check engine lights. Seems to me they are mixing, but the oil isn't milky at all, just full. And the coolant level goes down. Odd.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
413GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
livid_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 399786
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 02 wrx Saab 92x
WRB

Are you checking oil while it's warm or cold?

Was it a puddle of coolant or oil?

Did you do the radiator? Or a shop?
livid_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
Wrxtuner251
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 135150
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan
Blue

When you get a moment, crawl up under your car and look for any signs of leakage. Be very meticulous, have a light handy. Look around where the block meets the heads for leaks "location of head gasket". Keep in mind you can also loose coolant from the radiator in other ways.

1.) A bad radiator cap will not hold pressure correctly and cause coolant to drain out into the reservoir then over flow out on to the ground.

2.) You can have a mild leak in the coolant lines "check your hose clamps" or a bad water pump, check the weep hole around the pump.

The oil going up and down on the stick thing isnt important, you want look in good light for discoloration "milky" on that oil dip stick thats the 100% sign the Head gasket isnt sealing properly. Feel free to post a pic on this site of the color of your oil "on the stick" and we can go from their.

Loosing coolant can happen in many ways doesn't always mean head gasket.
Also try warming up the engine, then running the engine with the oil cap off and looks for steam.
Wrxtuner251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Rjstehman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 415419
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
Silver

You can pull your spark plugs and see if any are white. If they are, you're burning coolant.
Rjstehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
413GC8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
Silver

The radiator was done at a shop and Ill have to pull my plugs at some point when I can get home. Never pulled plugs before.

Like I said ive ran it for a few months and it would be low on oil, filled it once. I also filled up the radiator with a some coolant here and there.

Ill try to post a picture of my dipstick, like I said its the normal oil color, nothings looking milky. I just noticed I pulled it and noticed the oil seemed really high.

I did replace the thermostat because it was heating up and going to normal, I did that maybe December, the small leak I noticed one time was a cold start with heating up, maybe a few inches wide nothing like a puddle. I also notice my heat isn't perfect and could be from the coolant being low or airbound. Coolant color looks normal, nothing dark or black about it, maybe a little thicker but I used a generic brand.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
livid_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 399786
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 02 wrx Saab 92x
WRB

Coolant might not have been "burped" after they changed it.

If you can't determine a definitive leak, have a compression test done.
livid_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
413GC8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
Silver

Ill have to get that done at some point put it on a lift. I just don't think its worth replacing at this point might just get rid of it as is. I also smell coolant too after driving everything just seems strange to me.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
Wrxtuner251
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 135150
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 413GC8 View Post
Ill have to get that done at some point put it on a lift. I just don't think its worth replacing at this point might just get rid of it as is. I also smell coolant too after driving everything just seems strange to me.

Could be a leaking heater core, your heater core is part of your climate control inside the car, it is responsible for heating your car in the winter or when ever you need heat. Over time the heater core inside the dash in the HVAC box, will corrode and leak "antifreeze" this will cause a coolant smell after driving sometimes and coolant will be on the ground under the car as well. If its leaking inside the your cars HVAC box this means it could need to be replaced which means taking the dash apart to get to the HVAC box.

Its can be hard to replace depending on how buried it is. An easy check is to crawl under the car and look for the drain tube from your cars HVAC box

See this thread post #1 for what it looks like:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1718109

Its just a simple tube that points down you can put your finger inside it and see if any green coolant is present in that tube. If there is then you need a new heater core.
Wrxtuner251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
postwarart
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 370184

Do you have a little nub with a small hose next to the radiator cap?

No, not the hose to the overflow reservoir, the other side.

Mine leaks from there -every few months, I have to put a new hose cap because it can't handle the pressure, tears, and starts leaking - slowly, then more as the tear gets worse.

Push on that after the car has been on for a bit to see if coolant leaks from there.
postwarart is offline   Reply With Quote