Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 5, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Eolian
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 186263
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Subbie Blue

Exclamation HELP! Gears going haywire!

Disclaimer - I am not extremely well versed in mechanical lingo or knowledge, so pre-apologies if my explanation sucks and I dont know proper terms/names. Consider me a newbie/just-a-big-fan when responding please.

Car - 2003 WRX, no major mods that deal with engine or tranny. Almost entirely stock.

Problem - Basically, my gears go haywire. Where 1st gear should be, its now 3rd gear, where 3rd gear should be, its reverse, and I may or may not have a neutral, ect, ect. Each time it differs slightly but for the most part thats it in a nutshell. I discovered I was able to pop the gears back into place by playing around with the shifter and small amounts of gas+clutch being used. This issue has come up maybe 3-4ish times a year and always seems to go back to normal after a day or two. I have noticed this seems to happen more often when the weather is very cold, and I also have had Jeep owners tell me they too have had this issue.

Yesterday - My gears popped out of place while leaving my driveway. I began to try to move the shifter around and the WRX lurched forward as if I had just killed the engine(this has never happened before). After that, my shifter would not move an inch. I can wiggle it, but it will not budge in any direction. It is stuck in the 5th position.

Details - I replaced the clutch one year ago exactly. I took it into Goodyear to have them check on this issue and they told me that would fix it(sigh).
Also for several months now I have noticed (what I think is) my clutch burning, I smell it almost every time I drive the car. I have taken it into local shops to have them find the smell, but all inspections have come back clear.

HELP! As you can see, I have taken it to many people/places over the years to try to properly diagnose and fix this reoccurring issue but no one has been able to help. All the mechanics I take it to tell me "Ive never heard of anything like that derp." It has become very frustrating and I feel helpless and I fear this time something went incredibly wrong.

Have any of you had or heard of this issue? Is it linkage, my clutch, a part inside the shifter itself, or (please God no) my transmission??
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Eolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

it sounds like the shifter linkage has issues...maybe the pivot bushing has crumbled

you will want to find somebody local to you to take a look at it....maybe you need o post up in your local area forum for a local guru to come hep ya
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
tjkolb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 280854
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Midnight Black

The only similar condition I've ever experienced is the being stuck in 5th, my friend welded the gear almost in 5th and even an 8 ft prybar couldn't break it loose. I ended up with just replacing the tranny as no one could rebuild it at the time. Only other thing could be the shift linkage that I could think of? I'm no professional when it comes to diagnostic info...
tjkolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkolb View Post
The only similar condition I've ever experienced is the being stuck in 5th, my friend welded the gear almost in 5th and even an 8 ft prybar couldn't break it loose. I ended up with just replacing the tranny as no one could rebuild it at the time. Only other thing could be the shift linkage that I could think of? I'm no professional when it comes to diagnostic info...

then don't post ......the op's trans works it just isn't working right
Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Eolian
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 186263
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Subbie Blue

Ive had a few people suggest on some Subaru facebook groups after I shared this page that it could be shift linkage, shift shaft bearings, or shifter forks. One of those is the same you mentioned Scotty.

Any specific comments/ideas on those that I can bring to my mechanic once I find one?
Eolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolian View Post
Ive had a few people suggest on some Subaru facebook groups after I shared this page that it could be shift linkage, shift shaft bearings, or shifter forks. One of those is the same you mentioned Scotty.

Any specific comments/ideas on those that I can bring to my mechanic once I find one?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

whatever local area forum that covers your area....make thread

offer beeer/pizza/dope/whatever.....in trade for somebody coming and helpin ya out

this will either be a fairly cheap/easy fix or not