Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 25, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Vehicle:
2016 Cayman GT4
black

Default 2014 Corvette Engine Revealed, Turbo Rumor Debunked



Quote:
More information on the upcoming C7 Corvette emerged early this morning from a press conference in Detroit set to discuss the car’s all-new LT1 engine.

Chevrolet’s next Corvette will officially come with a 6.2-liter small block LT1 V8 making more than 450 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque with an expected 26 mpg on the highway. Those gains will come through cylinder deactivation along with direct injection and variable valve timing.

Much to GM’s consternation, shutting half the old engine down to save fuel presented “insurmountable noise and vibration issues,” something that’s been addressed with the LT1, which is 99 percent new according to GM.
What’s more, the new ‘Vette is said to boast a sub-four-second 0-60 sprint.
Rumors of a twin-turbo V6-powered Corvette swirled around the internet earlier this week, but GM said this morning that feedback from Corvette customers dissuaded such a decision. Despite that, the brand didn’t deny that a force-fed six could eventually be on tap for future Corvettes.

For now, GM’s next-generation small block V8 is actually lighter than the 4.4-liter V8 found in the BMW 5 Series and can adjust pressure on demand through its direct injection system.

GALLERY: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette engine

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 That's *Sir*
Weinerlicks of Douche 2u.

Default

ibSomeoneBitchesAboutPushrods
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the beach
Vehicle:
** LP640
Viper GTS

Default

Awesome that they are keeping the displacement. I knew that there would never be turbo/SC on a base Corvette; but I was really believing that the engine would drop to 5.5 litres and somehow keep LS3 power. But this is way better; optional dry sump, more 450hp with more torque. Nice.

Article didn't state if it was direct injection. I sure hope it is.

LT1.... come on, time for a new name. When I hear LT1, I think optispark.
White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
mhoward1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White out View Post

Article didn't state if it was direct injection. I sure hope it is.

LT1.... come on, time for a new name. When I hear LT1, I think optispark.
Quote:
For now, GM’s next-generation small block V8 is actually lighter than the 4.4-liter V8 found in the BMW 5 Series and can adjust pressure on demand through its direct injection system.
Yes it is.
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the beach
Vehicle:
** LP640
Viper GTS

Default

sweet
White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
16 SS
00 S2000

Default

Quote:
Much to GM’s consternation, shutting half the old engine down to save fuel presented “insurmountable noise and vibration issues,”
YUP.

I have that on my G8 in my L76 and it's been an issue since they've had it. They just can't engineer their way out of it. (I have it deactivated it's that big a PITA).

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
spazegun2213
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91208
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
the '13 Ktm Duke

Default

Sounds really neat, but I wish GM would stop using old engine codes for new engines!!!

Past that, I'd love to see how the cvvt works....
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
MikeNH
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 244821
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2011 Chevy Silverado

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazegun2213 View Post
Sounds really neat, but I wish GM would stop using old engine codes for new engines!!!

Past that, I'd love to see how the cvvt works....

They already have it on the engines now. My truck has it. Similar concept to what is on DOHC engines but being OHV there are limits. The system in my pickup is a two stage (normal/VTEC Brah!!!?) deal with a phaser on the front of the camshaft. You can't tell when it activates but the Hp/Tq curve is much flatter than the previous 5.3s. I read the release on this engine and I don't see how it is different but it said something about the cam having 3 profiles so maybe it has 3 stages?
MikeNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 That's *Sir*
Weinerlicks of Douche 2u.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
YUP.

I have that on my G8 in my L76 and it's been an issue since they've had it. They just can't engineer their way out of it. (I have it deactivated it's that big a PITA).

--kC
Time for them to make a flat crank V8.. and then shut down one whole bank/intake/exhaust, etc.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 110783
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Stamford, CT
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

So still only 26mpg highway with direct injection and cylinder deactivation? The current Corvette makes that now without either of those. It's still going to be a great motor, but it isn't going to increase mpg for the Corvette or the Camaro SS (which I'm sure it will also go into).
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Italiano
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2137
Join Date: Aug 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT, USA -what am I doing here?
Vehicle:
a 6spd Manual
Acura

Default

Nice !




....So does this mean the value of a C5 is going down???

~ because i want one
Italiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Lminette
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138923
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS Coupe
Satin Green Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP n Gold View Post
So still only 26mpg highway with direct injection and cylinder deactivation? The current Corvette makes that now without either of those. It's still going to be a great motor, but it isn't going to increase mpg for the Corvette or the Camaro SS (which I'm sure it will also go into).
I don't think people buying Vette's are concerned with MPG. On a side note kudos to Chevy for sticking with the pushrod design!! If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Lminette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2014 GLK/allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Right because that is a real great way to run a company. Why innovate when we just stick with what works...

But I will refrain from any boring pushrod knocks since they added direct injection, which is yet another bandaid to keep their dinosaur alive. But its a good bandaid.

Judging by the performance numbers for acceleration, sounds like they put a higher (numerically) gear in the back and allowed a bit more RPM since the engine uses a bit less fuel. So they kept performance about the same, mileage about the same, and its quicker.

I would be gearing change and a the added efficiency of direct injection are in work here.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
stirob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93631
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Pearland Tx.
Vehicle:
2014 CTS-V
Opulent Blue Mtallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP n Gold View Post
So still only 26mpg highway with direct injection and cylinder deactivation? The current Corvette makes that now without either of those. It's still going to be a great motor, but it isn't going to increase mpg for the Corvette or the Camaro SS (which I'm sure it will also go into).
I was thinking the same thing. I had an 08 Vette with a supercharger and would still easily get 26mpg cruising at 70.
stirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
lemming
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 250066
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Duvall, WA
Vehicle:
'06 Forester XT
'03 Rustang V6T, '13 GT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
Time for them to make a flat crank V8.. and then shut down one whole bank/intake/exhaust, etc.
I wonder how much the sound of an even firing order would upset the V8 purists.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 110783
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Stamford, CT
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lminette View Post
I don't think people buying Vette's are concerned with MPG. On a side note kudos to Chevy for sticking with the pushrod design!! If it ain't broke don't fix it!
While it's not a primary concern for people spending $50+K on a toy car, people who are interested in the $32K Camaro as their only car and would like improved mpg might be disappointed when they don't see an increase after the addition of direct injection and cylinder deactivation.
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2014 GLK/allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

If mileage stayed the same and it is quicker, do you think the Vette buyer will care. Like always in this particular car, the vettes real magic is held within its gearing and all the components that allows those gear ratios to be chosen.

Look what sounds better to a Vette Buyer.

The new 2014 vette, It's just as fast as the C6 but gets better mileage

or

The new 2014 Vette, It is faster than the C6 with NO mileage penalty

The camaro will get better mpg with the new motor, I assure you. Direct injection will show its improvements there most of all. Well there and in the trucks.

If you are Chevrolet and you insist on using pushrods, you only have so many knobs you can turn and still make big HP while getting decent mileage.

Gearing (Yes, definitely, has been and always will be what GM relies on)
Variable cam timing (Yes, they can change the valve timing, but I am not sure how much)
Direct Injection (Yes, they added this, so they get some flexibility with raised compression ratio)
Displacement (Nope, you must stay huge here, since you cannot breath as well with 2 valves per cylinder the displacement must be kept up)

they will keep fighting the good fight with pushrods, but with engines like the coyote 5.0 it makes it harder to keep pushing this configuration.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
mhoward1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default

But the packaging efficiency and overall weight for a motor of this displacement is still a feat, even if you don't like the overall tech of the engine.

Not to mention it gained 25 HP and 25 lb/ft with no loss of mileage.
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
MikeNH
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 244821
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2011 Chevy Silverado

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Right because that is a real great way to run a company. Why innovate when we just stick with what works...

But I will refrain from any boring pushrod knocks since they added direct injection, which is yet another bandaid to keep their dinosaur alive. But its a good bandaid.

Judging by the performance numbers for acceleration, sounds like they put a higher (numerically) gear in the back and allowed a bit more RPM since the engine uses a bit less fuel. So they kept performance about the same, mileage about the same, and its quicker.

I would be gearing change and a the added efficiency of direct injection are in work here.

I knew someone would whine about GM sticking with OHV. Nobody makes a better V8 than GM, they've had a lock on the market for 50+ years. Not only does it beat the competitors in terms of output but it is a design anyone can work on and it will easily make it to 200k, something the overpriced junk from Germany won't.
MikeNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2014 GLK/allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Whatever floats your boat. Enjoy your like a rock truck.

Not taking the bait.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
SilverSubaab
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 88288
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Central MA
Vehicle:
.... At this point,
even I have lost track.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO
If mileage stayed the same and it is quicker, do you think the Vette buyer will care. Like always in this particular car, the vettes real magic is held within its gearing and all the components that allows those gear ratios to be chosen.

Look what sounds better to a Vette Buyer.

The new 2014 vette, It's just as fast as the C6 but gets better mileage

or

The new 2014 Vette, It is faster than the C6 with NO mileage penalty

The camaro will get better mpg with the new motor, I assure you. Direct injection will show its improvements there most of all. Well there and in the trucks.

If you are Chevrolet and you insist on using pushrods, you only have so many knobs you can turn and still make big HP while getting decent mileage.

Gearing (Yes, definitely, has been and always will be what GM relies on)
Variable cam timing (Yes, they can change the valve timing, but I am not sure how much)
Direct Injection (Yes, they added this, so they get some flexibility with raised compression ratio)
Displacement (Nope, you must stay huge here, since you cannot breath as well with 2 valves per cylinder the displacement must be kept up)

they will keep fighting the good fight with pushrods, but with engines like the coyote 5.0 it makes it harder to keep pushing this configuration.
At first glance, I thought this was a Hip post :-) ...
SilverSubaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
hkerekes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66310
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Removing passenger seat
Vehicle:
2015 korean muscle

Default

Compared to BOSS 302 444hp 389tq and 25mpg from a 5.0L with NO DI its not bad but why GM, why must good enough be your motto.
hkerekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the beach
Vehicle:
** LP640
Viper GTS

Default

This is great to have a new baseline engine for power. The LSx series was great and the new engine with a more efficient combustion chamber and DI will be a big benefit to aftermarket tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkerekes View Post
Compared to BOSS 302 444hp 389tq and 25mpg from a 5.0L with NO DI its not bad but why GM, why must good enough be your motto.
a 6.2 litre that's 50lbs less and smaller in every dimension. Also, the center of gravity is lower on a pushrod V8 vs. OHC V8. I'm missing the problem.

Also, many people don't realize this, but a big motor making the same power as a smaller motor is under less stress (aka less things break), which is a good thing.

Stock C5 & C6's get 30+mpg in real life. I think a friend of mine his 36 or 38mpg on one road trip. It's all in the 6 speed's gearing.
White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
Lminette
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138923
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS Coupe
Satin Green Metallic

Default

^^^ Agree with MikeNH!! The Chevrolet V8's have been and will continue to be very reliable with this design and they are easy to get plenty of power out of. If Chevrolet V8's are so antiquated due to their design why do people throw them in everything? Especially drift cars nowadays. In order to compete now you pretty much have to throw an LS1 into your car.
Lminette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2014 GLK/allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

You are not going to believe this

But they are small in dimensions and very cheap.

Have you heard of such rumors.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.