Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 281741
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Default 02 WRX from the grave to the gravel! (MBP Sedan)

Sooo... i joined the forum back in the spring with some big plans and not much knowledge of what i was gettin myself into! since then i have moved from austin back to los angeles, and have had alot of time to dive into some research! A few months with my face pressed up against my laptop, meanwhile going broke buying parts. allow me to bring you up to speed on how i got to where im at.

THE SUBY

Bought the car a couple years into college when my accord EX coupe's transmission died on me (it was my little race car that wasn't and the repair was worth way more than the car at that point). The first time is saw my bugeye, i walked up from behind. spoiler-less and the previous owner had removed the SUBARU badging. 5mt, 13K, HKS turbo timer, PRISTINE condish! I had to have it!! In the first couple weeks had already taken it out to Beaumont Springs with a bunch of my MX buddies and gotten a teensy bit of air out in the dirt. That millisecond of 0g bit me like a shark and i was hooked!

the next week i made my first upgrades. At this point i was going off the suggestions of my motorhead buddy. Started of with a Hks 3112-ex005 carbon-ti exhaust, HKS flat flange ceramic coated downpipe, and a greddy type S blowoff. got a great deal on the set from a friend at a local performance shop.

A few Years, and a few X country Road trips later, i transferred to a school in Hollywood and commuted 60+ miles in LA traffic EVERYDAY. If you are unfamiliar with the situation, the number of incompetent drivers on the road increases exponentially with population. a couple fender benders definitely took their toll on my poor car. About a year into school the commute was killing me and my car, so i decided to move to LA, but the only place i could find only had street parking, and things went from bad to worse. a couple break ins left me down a drivers side window, a blue tooth headset, and my turbo timer. It seemed no matter how hard i tried to keep it nice, the world had other plans.

Finally, Labor Day Weekend 2008 i was on a road trip to norcal to hang out in Reno with some friends and pick my buddy up from Burning Man. i picked up a little honda rebel 250 which made getting around and parking in LA nice and easy, so i hadn't been driving my car much, and in the excitement of the holiday weekend, didn't think to give my car a pre trip once over, and proceeded to try to set a personal los angeles to sacramento record. Around bakersfield (spun bearing, Damaged crank shaft). the next 3 years were spent in my brothers garage in las vegas, disabled, stationary, sad... My brother was nice enough to store my car while i chased the music around. and we had bartered with a mechanic who was supposed to rebuild the motor in exchange for rent (he disassembled the motor, diagnosed the problem, then disappeared (with my downpipe, Boost Control Solenoid, and god knows what else).. i had started a band, moved to hawaii, played 6 nights a week for a year then moved to austin and did it again...The Band Eventually disbanded, but thats a whole other story, and a completely different forum...

I have pictures of all this next stuff but don't know how to upload them.. :/

Shes Been Neglected for far too long and now i finally have some time to give her some TLC!! I towed the her from veas to la mid august, when i moved back from austin. Earlier this year i had purchased a complete engine take out from a wrx in new england, with the hopes of just dropping it into my car, having it was operable while i rebuilt the old block, but as my research went further, cracking the block was way above my budget and experience. so what i have decided to do is use the block from the "new" engine, and refit it with my old PnP'd heads, and PnP'd Manifolds/tgv deletes.

i have the "new" engine on a stand, stripped to the block and heads. and taken some time and effort to clean the block.

my old heads have been stripped and cleaned (barrage of brake cleaner, a number of degreasers and a load of elbow grease.)

I've ordered a slew of parts, and gone broke in the process. (think i'll have to sell a few old stock parts to afford a tune here's the rundown

UPGRADES
~PnP: TB, IM, TGV delete, Exhaust collectors, hi flow cross and up pipes w/ black ceramic coating or heat barrier (Grimmspeed)
~Bellmouth 3" Downpipe (HKS) out getting black ceramic coated
~TD-05 16g w/ ported black Ceramic coated turbine housing (Blouch)
~BIG TMIC (fastmotorsports)
~STi Oilpan + oil tube and baffle
~Adjustable recirculating BPV (perrin)
~EBC solenoid (grimmspeed)
~Cobb Tuning AccessPort
~Adjustable Height+Damper Coilovers with front camber adjustment (megan racing) for Forester w/ wrx tophats. should let me sit at anywhere from -1" to +3" relative to stock WRX ride height. w/32 pt dampening adjustability
~adjustable rear trailer arms (project godspeed) to get that rear tire into the center of that wheel well at different ride heights.

I've also picked up some stock replacement wear parts.
~Timing belt Kit w/ pulleys and tensioner and water pump(Gates)
~Serpentine Belts (Gates)
~OEM Master Gasket Set (Subaru)
~oil cooler
~thermostat
~Radiator, Intercooler, and Ancillary Hose Sets (mishimoto)

there are a few parts left i still need to pick up. including clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, tires, spark plugs, and injectors. Still Doing Clutch Research (looking at Exedy, and there is a supplier not too far south from me). Waiting on tires until my suspension has been installed then i can go to a tire store and test fit a few to get the perfect size (basing off of the 215 65 16 Generals that seem to be pretty popular with the dirty crowd). also still researching injectors. (any feedback in any of these departments would be greatly appreciated!!)

I've also replaced my Yakima Q towers with Landing Pad 11s w control towers, mounted into threaded plates installed under the rain gutters. found on this thread (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...4#post28246914)

If all goes according to plan this build should be done just in time for halloween! perfect for a zombie, frankensteined WRX which works out great because CobbTuningSoCal's dyno is down until the beginning of november. they havent started taking appointments yet but Hopefully i can time it just right to get it in for a tune right after i finish building.

This week i will be Port Matching My Heads, Cleaning/Resurfacing my Valves, cleaning faces of pistons in uncracked block, and resealing/re-gasketing anything applicable at this point.

Am I missing anything?!? I'm not tryin to be the fastest Suby on the block, i just wanna go wherever i want, and have a blast getting there! this is gunna be fun! 0-60 in 3.5..... years... wish me luck
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
c4ss1n0va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
redline23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 285799
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5-Door
WRB

Wow, quite a story there. Sounds like that bugeye will be a blast once you get it going again. Just remember to do it right the first time and not cut corners. I understand that can be especially hard with the money situation. Good Luck and hope you get it going soon.
redline23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Thanks man.. I plan on updating soon..
Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 136396
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
SWP

Welcome! Lets see some pics!

Chris
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Default Pictures

Thanks Chris,

My Shipment from Grimmspeed is arriving the day after tomorrow, cant wait! Knew it would take some time to put together, so it was the first thing i ordered. VERY excited!

here is how she sits right now

this is the the day i got my new (used) engine

The engine is now on a stand and with a whole lotta elbow grease, ive gotten the block pretty clean

i looked all over the place to find some modeling clay to block off the head ports while i got down on the block... it wasn't all that cheap either, and all i used it for was this...

i will be reusing my original heads for this build, ive removed and catalogued the valves, springs, and retainers. and with a combo of brake cleaner, various degreasers and good ol grease de elbow.. have gotten the heads pretty clean.. wish i had some before shots...

Hopefully i'll be gettin started on my PnP job tomorrow. either way i plan on updating when my grimmspeed shipment arrives... thanks for reading! \m/
Old 10-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
JosePinto77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 256853
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Black

Wish i could do the same you did. I give you mad props. I got a 2002 wrx wagon in my driveway right now with no engine, loll. Looks like the picture you got of yours with no motor. I bought a used engine in july from a website and installed it myself. After driving the car for a little bit it broke down last week. Thank god it still was under warranty, i pulled off the car this last saturday and are sending the used engine i bought back to the company i bought it from. So right now im just staring to look for other alternatives. dont know what to do. but good luck to you and you project it looks real good.
JosePinto77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Thanks dude! If I could go back I think I woulda either rebuilt my old block or bought a built block instead of a Complete takeout.. Hopefully I can make back some of my money on the back end selling unused parts..
Old 10-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Default Updates!!! Finally!!

finally got around to posting some progress!!

So i ported my heads a week or so after my last post and here are the photos.. really happy how they turned out...

Intake

Before

After

view through TGV delete+8mm Spacer

Exhaust

Before

After

Took my time with the first set of exhaust and intake ports to get it right.. the better part of the first day.. then went for the rest the next... using a die grinder a dremmel and an array of grinders, carbide burrs, sanding disks and brushes.

Received a tasty pair of packages from Grimmspeed full of goodies!!

and also got my adjustable coilovers and rear trailer arms... when installed will give me a -1" to +3" adjustability relative to stock wrx ride height..

I've also installed an STi oil pan, baffle, pick up tube, dipstick and guide.

after that i cleaned and re swirled my valves with a drill press and a series of 2000 and 3000 grit abrasive sheets... not to hard... just a lil repetitive ... only to end up buying a new set of supertechs (standard size) that i've lapped and installed... i'll taking into portflow here in so cal [tom is the man] to get a lash adjustment/valve stem reduction tomorrow ...

PS: if anyone is interested in a set of ported EJ20 heads ... let me know... i have another set here... down to deal for a core exchange... PM me!!

\m/
Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
JosePinto77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 256853
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Black

Man looks great. Cant wait to see the final pics of this project.
JosePinto77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 136396
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
SWP

Wow great progress! We would love to see some pics when you get all that stuff installed. You did a great job on the heads from the way the pictures look! Keep us updated

Chris
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

thanks guys! stoked on how they came out!! just waiting on a valve lash adj/valve stem reduction, then its re-assembly ... worked out an awesome deal with a shop thats letting me work off some of the labor costs on the lash job... only problem is i have to wait for a slow day at the shop... but its worth the wait!

\m/
Old 12-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Default badump bump tsss!!

after a few hectic weeks and crappy weather i finally got some time to do some real wrenching... and am happy to say i've made some progress!!! having done all the measurements and teardown work, i got a KILLER deal on my lash job, and even scored a couple fishing lures from the shop owner who also owns a fishing lure company..

Finally!! so i torqued my heads down my refreshed block .. i could yack all day about everything ... but i'll save you a few thousand words of reading and just show ya...

got a new water pump, timing belt, tensioner and pulleys, seals/gaskets, and cleaned timing covers, cam sprockets and installed along with my new STI oilpan, baffle, and pickup tube.

had my power steering pump, ac compressor, and alternator rebuilt by a shop in orange county, and finally got to bolt on some of those purdy grimmspeed pnp parts and crank pulley!

its getting close!! slowly but surely... plan on doin a lil wrenching tomorrow morning but i plan on driving cross country for the holidays tomorrow... i'll try to get on and post a final picture in the daylight ... but, wont get to work on it again till after jesus's burfday ... hopefully will have it together and dropped a week or so into 2012.. until then happy holidaze everyone!!

Last edited by c4ss1n0va; 12-17-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
randykenepp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 302741
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Platinum Silver Metallic

It's lookin sick. Can't wait to see it all done
randykenepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
shano
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 223839
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Java black

Nice man, looks like your quite the mechanic!
shano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
redline23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 285799
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5-Door
WRB

Very nice work. Can't wait to see the final result.
redline23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
jdm_mac
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291292
Chapter/Region: BAIC

This is a fun build in the making to follow. Keep us updated!
jdm_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Default pixtures..

thanks!! im stoked on it!! .. here are a few more pictures .. in the daylight

wrote myself a reminder: there are papertowels between the TGV and block... kinda funny... makes me
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #18
BlackFly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 29795
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX/v7 STI 2.0
Blazin Yellow

Hey bro keep up the good work!!

I can definately relate, my bugeye spun a bearing the first week of Oct. My solution was a JDM V7 STI motor. LOVING IT But the looks of my baby are far from good, so now I'm starting the task of rehabing Blazin Yellow. Hope she comes out good, with any luck I'll have the exterior rehab done by spring.

Also I just did a clutch swap over the summer and I went with the Exedy and I'm happy with the results.
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #19
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Checked craig's list for the first time in months, looking for an extra oem rim for a full sized spare and found this set with tires for well under $200... STOKED..

i'll be ordering my General Grabber AT2's sometime next week and fitting them on the 5 rims that are in the best condition

My group N Engine/Trans Mounts and Pitch Stopper came in last week..

Also this week, intalling coilovers and trailer arms.... Waiting on a second set of hands to drop the engine..

Did a lil customization on my rallitek skid plate while i was waiting for parts to come in..

totally under taped and over sprayed... but its under the car and funny as hell!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 AM   #20
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Default Suspension..

So finally got around to installing my coilovers... magan street series for 03-07 fozzy.. which should give me a -1" to +3" from stock wrx ride height... possibly a set of softer barrel springs from swift..

also giving these godspeed adjustable trailer arms a shot.. for when i can afford to get a second set of street/track wheels and tires, so i can adjust my rear tire position between tire sets..

heres the front

and the back

Last edited by c4ss1n0va; 02-03-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: godspeed not obx trailer arms
Old 02-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #21
imprezive503
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224421
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

Super sweet, and plans for the breaks ?
imprezive503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #22
OutrageousCo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 246534

Man, looking good!
OutrageousCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #23
Reese
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 306479
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Limited
Satin White Pearl

Looks like a nice big project you have going.

-Subscribed
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #24
legacydreamz
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 92423
Vehicle:
2007 Honda CRV
still locked in freezer

Awesome, I love doing and watching projects like this.
legacydreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #25
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Thanks Erryone!! Been working hard on it.... when i find the time!!

as far as brakes go i was looking at stoptech stage 2.. thinkin slotted rotors... mainly because i'll be using stock rims (eventually aftermarket 16s) for a majority of the time... and i know they'll fit.. and i can afford them