Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 10, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
JAMM0N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318736
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS (BLCK)

Default WRX 13' Stage 1 questions

hey guys as you already know i'm pretty new still to this place. actually found myself a fun hobby

i've done a few exterior mods and prepping for winter.

i've been driving stock for quite a month or two 1.5k miles on the odometer want to have some fun nearing the end of nov hopefully snow isn't around so i can get to doing this.

Some basic info and questions if you can help me would be great.

I will have to buy a Cobb AP 003 if i'm correct.

Question is certain companies have maps, but does that pertain to the add-ons that you use in order for the maps to work with it? or does it not have to be that certain company? (mix-match persay) what should i go with?

i just want to keep it simple for now and nothing to technical.

I haven't seen many stage 1 threads but a lot more stage 2 threads obviously a lot of enthusiasts.

sorry if my grammar is bad and if anyone needs to squeeze more info out of me please do so. (if i'm in the wrong section please move )
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JAMM0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Andrewxxcarlson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316415
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

My first suggestion as you being new here is to hit the search feature, look up Unabombers Manifesto. There's a wealth of knowledge on this site especially from Unabomber and the stickies.

To answer your question, you can mismatch parts but you should do your research on each item and the company it's made by for fitment. I'm curious, are you not caring for the warranty for the '13? Once ecu has been flashed this will void your warranty.
Andrewxxcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
DurtyB
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 292699
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Barboursville VA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan DGM
Stg1+ SF

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewxxcarlson View Post
My first suggestion as you being new here is to hit the search feature, look up Unabombers Manifesto. There's a wealth of knowledge on this site especially from Unabomber and the stickies.

To answer your question, you can mismatch parts but you should do your research on each item and the company it's made by for fitment. I'm curious, are you not caring for the warranty for the '13? Once ecu has been flashed this will void your warranty.

You should take your own advice. Flashing will not void your warranty. It MAY get warranty work denied though if they feel a mod was the reason for the problem, which in most cases is they will.

OP as stated do some searching. A lot of companies state which parts you can run with their maps. Also, you can buy whatever parts you want and still get pro tuned at Stage 1 to have the best map for your mods you have chosen.

Be peprared to pay out of pocket though if any problem does arise.
DurtyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
JAMM0N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318736
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS (BLCK)

Default

yeah durty i'm working on saving a little by little.

first is paying off the car as much as i possibly can while also trying to have fun and survive the same time. i work 11 months out of whole year. only go home to california twice a year. snowboarding and family.

i'd laff and kick myself in the head if they void my warranty with a stage 1 tune.

thanks! reading unibombers: what you need to know about what tuning is but not getting there. obviously i need to find me a tuner! chicago is so far away :/
JAMM0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

2013 is not yet supported by Cobb. (Too new) When ordering an AP, you will select your make, model, and year. They will send you the correct AP.

Stage 1 across the board is stock +tune.
Stage 2 across the board is downpipe+tune.

The companies that make their own power kits, or have their own maps do not have different requirements, they just have their own tweaks.

For stage 1, you don't need to necessarily be protuned. It might benefit a bit, but I wouldn't waste the money. And Chicago isn't THAT far. You can also find a local Milwaukee member that has a tactrix and have them help you.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
ruetzal18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330542
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Default

jammon
just post in the mke thread I will help you. Call synergy tuning go stage 2 which is just a downpipe and they will do a custome tune. The whole stage 2 package is under 600 includes downpipe and custom tune. Custom tune > cobb

synergy's info is on FB just search synergy they are in port washington
ruetzal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
JAMM0N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318736
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS (BLCK)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
2013 is not yet supported by Cobb. (Too new) When ordering an AP, you will select your make, model, and year. They will send you the correct AP.

Stage 1 across the board is stock +tune.
Stage 2 across the board is downpipe+tune.

The companies that make their own power kits, or have their own maps do not have different requirements, they just have their own tweaks.

For stage 1, you don't need to necessarily be protuned. It might benefit a bit, but I wouldn't waste the money. And Chicago isn't THAT far. You can also find a local Milwaukee member that has a tactrix and have them help you.
yeah i read that first cause stage 1 for me would've been okay cause its just what i need for a DD which i thought would be fine. jumping into stage 2 looks more fun... sigh. guess i'm going with OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruetzal18 View Post
jammon
just post in the mke thread I will help you. Call synergy tuning go stage 2 which is just a downpipe and they will do a custome tune. The whole stage 2 package is under 600 includes downpipe and custom tune. Custom tune > cobb

synergy's info is on FB just search synergy they are in port washington
yeah i was looking @ synergy tuning i will definitely check them out.

i guess i'll add it to my wish list for the end of this year!
JAMM0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Vehicle:
2016 BMW M235i 6MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMM0N View Post
i'd laff and kick myself in the head if they void my warranty with a stage 1 tune.
Prepare to laugh and kick self in the head.
MaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
JAMM0N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318736
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS (BLCK)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMax View Post
Prepare to laugh and kick self in the head.
way ahead of you.

i mean do they really think that a sports car of this caliber is not going to be messed with they are dead wrong.

looking @ nvidia cat back exhaust V1

not a fan of quad tips right ATM unless someone can change my mind
JAMM0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
ruetzal18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330542
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Default

catback is worthless unless you like noise. Call synergy they do a invidia catless dp with the tune and make 300 hp and they save your stock tune so you can go back if anything happened.

Fact is most delearships won't know your tuned unless do they pull software out and check it, most don't take the time to do it.

Worse that you would do is over rev the engine and then a smiley face pulls up on the scan and states void warranty. As long as you aren't beating the Hell out of it and don't blow up the motor being stupid you will be fine. Also as long as you know how to shift and you aren't trying to shift so fast you put into wrong gear you will be fine.

there is a ton of BS in these forums, guys that think they know everything. Half is true half is false you kind of have to be around awhile to figure out the BS.
ruetzal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
JAMM0N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318736
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS (BLCK)

Default

yeah its tough because a lot of people talk a lot but not sure if its like useful information or not.

i was looking @ the invidia DP and glad to synergy can do it for me. i emailed them but no response probably not in the shop yet.

question is dont i need a catback to keep the flow going instead of restricting it? (talking with a friend with about it also owns an 08 sti)

also i pmed you not sure if you got it
JAMM0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
ruetzal18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330542
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Default

no the restriction in the exhaust is the dp opening it up won't cause another restriction at the cb. wasted money. however my car came with the spt but its a grand in your pocket because all it will do is make noise. Synergy will confirm as well. Also a short ram and a cold air won't gain any hp as well just wasted money. HP for the $ comes in a chip and the dp. The stock intake creates plenty of air. I would rather spend the money on a turbo inlet pipe it will gain a few more hp for $250 but your start is taking a ride to synergy for that dp/tune.
ruetzal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Vehicle:
2016 BMW M235i 6MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruetzal18 View Post
Fact is most delearships won't know your tuned unless do they pull software out and check it, most don't take the time to do it.

Worse that you would do is over rev the engine and then a smiley face pulls up on the scan and states void warranty. As long as you aren't beating the Hell out of it and don't blow up the motor being stupid you will be fine. Also as long as you know how to shift and you aren't trying to shift so fast you put into wrong gear you will be fine.

there is a ton of BS in these forums, guys that think they know everything. Half is true half is false you kind of have to be around awhile to figure out the BS.
They'll go looking for suspect items if you've got motor issues. Subaru Corporate will inquire to the dealership if there's evidence of unpermitted modifications. The more your car looks modded, the more they become interested. If they see a downpipe, you're done. If you unmarry the Cobb AP, some say they can still see evidence of it or look at the check sum value. If you do an open source tune, you're screwed if they go digging in the ECU.

You really can't blame Subaru as they aren't in the business to support private racing programs. How are they to know that your "tune" was conservative or if it tried to push a signficant amount of boost under a super lean AFR? All they care about is if it's been tampered with and run outside of factory spec.
MaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
Decipher
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262760
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lake in the Hills, ILLnoise
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch Limtd
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruetzal18
no the restriction in the exhaust is the dp opening it up won't cause another restriction at the cb. wasted money. however my car came with the spt but its a grand in your pocket because all it will do is make noise. Synergy will confirm as well. Also a short ram and a cold air won't gain any hp as well just wasted money. HP for the $ comes in a chip and the dp. The stock intake creates plenty of air. I would rather spend the money on a turbo inlet pipe it will gain a few more hp for $250 but your start is taking a ride to synergy for that dp/tune.
You were doing so well...until you said "chip." The turbo inlet is also a waste of money at this stage in the game. If he's looking to simply go Stage 2, then just do that. If he's looking for power beyond that, there are better options than wasting money on a turbo inlet. So close...I wanted to like your responses. You maintain the ability to be redeemed.
Decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
meebs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3251
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipher View Post
You were doing so well...until you said "chip." The turbo inlet is also a waste of money at this stage in the game. If he's looking to simply go Stage 2, then just do that. If he's looking for power beyond that, there are better options than wasting money on a turbo inlet. So close...I wanted to like your responses. You maintain the ability to be redeemed.
Good greif...

You were doing so well until you chimed in with the "chip" on your shoulder. What, you think this is a popularity contest?

JAMMON, you should keep in mind "stage x" is a marketing term. If you don't want to go through the research, it would be best to start talking with a few tuners in your area and selecting one that will meet the goals you would like to set for the car.
meebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
Decipher
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262760
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lake in the Hills, ILLnoise
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch Limtd
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meebs

Good greif...

You were doing so well until you chimed in with the "chip" on your shoulder. What, you think this is a popularity contest?

JAMMON, you should keep in mind "stage x" is a marketing term. If you don't want to go through the research, it would be best to start talking with a few tuners in your area and selecting one that will meet the goals you would like to set for the car.
You handed out some bad info and I'm the one in a popularity contest? An intake WILL net some increase in power. Is the increase worth the cost? Arguably as valuable as a turbo inlet. Tuners have repeatedly pulled a little extra power from intakes so to strike them all together is incorrect. Yes, the OEM intake is good to over 300 HP. Your information was close but just a little off. I'm trying to dispel some of the misconceptions. I guess I'm just trying to feed my ego instead of helping someone else out, right?
Decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
mona
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210032
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Philly/NC
Vehicle:
2008 wrx(5 door)

Default

On the whole warrantee issue:

I will start off by saying that I had an engine warrantee denied by SOA AND I worked at SOA a few years ago 10 feet from the warrantee denial people (Senior Reps). If your car is tuned and your engine goes (even if it was not caused by your tune) there is a good chance of them voiding your warrantee. Before any service while under warrantee flash your car back to stock and remove parts accordingly. The technician might not see if your car is tuned but a FSE or DPSM (Feild Service Engineer or District Parts and Service Manager) will absolutely see what you have done. They cannot see the fact that the map has changed but by data logging (looking at all of the numbers of engine input/output) they can figure out that it is tuned. They can also see how many reflashes have been performed.

Do not leave your car tuned during service, do not EVER tell them you have tuned your car (even in the past).


**** happens and you wanna be ready for it.


My recommendation for modding your car is get the AEM cold air intake and go with the according stage 1 tune (Cobb sells AEM CAI tunes) You can switch out your intake with the stock one in all of 30min and reflash it to stock so you dont get ****ed if your engine blows.
mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
ruetzal18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330542
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meebs View Post
Good greif...

You were doing so well until you chimed in with the "chip" on your shoulder. What, you think this is a popularity contest?

JAMMON, you should keep in mind "stage x" is a marketing term. If you don't want to go through the research, it would be best to start talking with a few tuners in your area and selecting one that will meet the goals you would like to set for the car.
"like"

yeh not sure what "chip" was all about. Also you can swap out a DP fairly quickly as well as long as you have a few gaskets on hand.

Modifying a car always has risks if your that worried about it don't do it. I have also CHIPPED cars and as long as you take care of it and don't shift like a crazy a** and don't redline the piss out of it you should be fine. If anything goes wrong bring it back to stock and take it to subaru and pray they don't find anything. If they do, oh well its on you to fix. Generally in this community thats the time we go BT
ruetzal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
JAMM0N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318736
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS (BLCK)

Default

I understand where you guys are going with this.

I just wanted to go stage 1 till warranty was over and jump into stage 2. But most have recommened to just go to stage 2.

I was trying to get more info on stage 1 and probably the only thing for now from what i can see when i bring it to any subaru dealer is timing belt and oil change, probably clutch checkjng out also. Other than that i wouldnt need them to do anything.

Like they all say gotta pay to play. This is something i will plan on doig down the road, but for now just stage 1. Thanks for tellig me to switch out part and reflashing before going in for any kind of service. A intake would be nice but probably wouldnt do me any justice during the winter.
JAMM0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2016 GT 5.OHH
DIB

Default

i did a catless DP on my 2012. stock intake and exhaust. no noise, good power. TP stage 2 etune. the stock tune is pretty crappy, i flashed mine at 1200 miles, DP at 3k. at 6500 now all is well. i really want to get an exhaust, but dropping 800 bux for a noise maker makes it not worth it to me..
BigRob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
JAMM0N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318736
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS (BLCK)

Default

Yeah for noise its not what i am looking for. As a DD and i travel to the capital every once in a while. I did a quarter mile dash when i had the chance and god the wind noise was hilarious.

A stage 2 tune for me here in Wi is anywhere from 600-700 bucks. Can anyone weigh in if i should throw sway bars in? Intake is something i will consider also w what money i have left after car payments for month 12 and 1
JAMM0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #22
JAMM0N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318736
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS (BLCK)

Default

wait how can i get an AP tune or any tune if they dont even support my year yet 0_0
JAMM0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
SenorDucK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327511
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
13' WRX 6 Speed
11sec VF52 EL-EWG-E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMM0N View Post
wait how can i get an AP tune or any tune if they dont even support my year yet 0_0
you can't, but you could open source flash

I've also been watching Cobb's progress with 2013 and the AP. I'd like it for some of the other features aside from flashing maps. It seems really easy to log with and has a few useful functions

launch control?
SenorDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #24
JAMM0N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318736
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS (BLCK)

Default

haha yeah i was thinking about OS i might even stick with that instead of going AP

but not sure how OS logs i have to keep a netbook in my car. pretty much the same as the AP but the AP is the size of my palm.

cost is pretty much the same
JAMM0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.