Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #76
Davenow
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 23676
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: de_dust and Orgrimar
Vehicle:
.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post
I think the rat hole that has become this thread has completely driven by the exit.
I'm on the 4th pass reading this and I still am completely lost as to its meaning.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #77
Davenow
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 23676
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: de_dust and Orgrimar
Vehicle:
.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderousProduction View Post
I'm gonna back out of this thread all that it's doing is taking away from any real information being given to the OP. my car may not be 325 my dyno may have been off. From my experience that's what I had known. Davenow thanks for being informational and not becoming heated and relaying actual knowledge unlike a lot of the people being negative.
Thanks for not jumping to the conclusion that I was trying to be some newbie bashing dickhead.

I type the way I talk/act. And I act, like if you were with a few buddies drinking some beers just talking about whatever. Things said in that context, can come off as nothing, its just conversation. Over the internet, it often comes off comes of a lot different.

You would be surprised (maybe not?) by how many people I have met, that later said "dude I always thought you were a complete ass hole, then I met you and you are actually pretty cool" because they "get" me then. Its tough to really nail down. Basically the things I say on the internet that make people think I am a dick, usually just make people laugh or they understand what I REALLY mean, and know I am not being a dick.
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #78
rhymeboy89
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286744
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

lets just pause for a second and realize that 02-05 wrx are 2.0 blocks and 06+ wrx blocks are 2.5. So lets say a 02-05 wrx at stage 2 gets 240/240 (cobb numbers) then one would think the 2.5 would at least get around 260 right? And knowing that protunes are better u can up that number to maybe 270.

So even though i probably wont be keeping up with this thread, lets try to get it back on track. I believe some1 posted a link that gives you most the info but simply put, you want 400 hp cheap go somewhere else (civic, muscle, etc). if you are set on a 400hp wrx then either do a ej207 swap or hybrid swap with sti tranny, get a rotated kit, and make sure you have the braking power and suspension to handle it.
rhymeboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #79
radd269
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261241
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Dublin, CA
Vehicle:
2014 C63 AMG
Black

Default

I've been stage 2 for about a month:

Cobb catback
invidia dp
MBC
Walbro
bigger TMIC

Dyno has me at 233/282. HUGE Difference than stock. It accelerates way faster off the line.

When I bought this car, I was gun-ho on 400whp, or greater. but after me being at this power level, I'm not nearly as "power hungry" as I thought I'd be.

I think my last power mod will be a VF upgrade or something similar and call it quits there.

OP..... My point is this. start with just few upgrades and see how you like it first. don't jump into something like 400 hp without knowing all the pitfalls and pros and cons.

I have several friends who have modded cars in 400-450 hp power range, and there is ALWAYS something wrong with their cars.

BOTTOM LINE IS, THAT MUCH POWER IS GOING TO BE A HEADACHE TO MAINTAIN. Nobody will dare argue this point either.

having a daily driver that's fun, nimble, and that handles well, is always more fun than a car that lasts a week at the power level you want it to.

That's my $0.02

Last edited by radd269; 11-12-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: .
radd269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #80
fenderpicks
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287694
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Blue

Default

Gosh u rich folks, i dont even know how much hp my WRX make lol
But im safe to say that, it's plenty fast for me to drive in the traffic in houston.
fenderpicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #81
olddohc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 64659
Join Date: Jun 2004
Default

Wow thanks for the 4 pages of responses. Im thinking i will just fix the car and drive it stock until i sell it. I was under the misconception that this 2.0 liter had potential. If i do keep it i will do the japan 2.0 or usdm 2.5, whatever i can find first. Thanks guys
olddohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #82
olddohc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 64659
Join Date: Jun 2004
Default

And ill rephrase. I think i could live with 280-300 wheel for the time being until i get 12-15k to really go nuts
olddohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #83
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

22e block, 20H heads with 2 VF13 turbochargers using a JDM BC5 ECU with a GrP N chip...I'm expecting 220whp minimum.

My Veyron will be making 1500whp when I use thinner head gaskets to increase compression.



The Veyron part is BS. Flame me.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #84
radd269
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261241
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Dublin, CA
Vehicle:
2014 C63 AMG
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddohc View Post
Wow thanks for the 4 pages of responses. Im thinking i will just fix the car and drive it stock until i sell it. I was under the misconception that this 2.0 liter had potential. If i do keep it i will do the japan 2.0 or usdm 2.5, whatever i can find first. Thanks guys
It does have potential. What the word "potential" means is obviously debatable. My point is there is nothing wrong with modding.

Nothing at all. If you want to Mod your rex to have 600WHP then, great.

Just know what you're getting into beforehand so you don't want to pour gasoline on your car, and light it on fire out of anger, because it became more of a headache than a good time.

Compare adding that much HP to your car, to sleeping with a woman who is married. Yes at the time, in the moment, you're having a blast, but if and when the husband finds out, your in the ***tter house with major headaches. Of course that being said, there are plenty of people who still do it. I personally don't think it's worth it. Haha

Last edited by radd269; 11-12-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: .
radd269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #85
dangerousatom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70710
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Quakertown/AREA1320 391whp
Vehicle:
2002 04STi Swaped RS
w/PPGS & 02 Wagon w/PPGs

Default

mmmm well this all went to pot!!


dangerousatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #86
jsBLwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336744
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousatom
mmmm well this all went to pot!!
My sentiments exactly but entertaining and informative at the same time. I'm old and I just enjoy the "sounds" of wrx - the engine, the tranny, the turbo blah blah blah....so unrefined and so unlike the supercharged mustang and the ultra "gentleman" GTI.... 400hp... Whatever...the best enjoyment of "driving" was achieved wringing the neck out of 5th gen GTI, my previous car, on every corner carving opportunity.... This was more joyful than my old 420hp/490wtq surcharged mustang....

One day I will figure this car out ; a 2013 wrx, and will feel comfortable to get it tuned to stag 2 for the sake of getting the most "useful" and safe power out of it.

This car is fast and deceptively so thus far... I will be happy to clean up the stutter on the rpm range and "wring" its neck out on the next apex....Who needs 400AWP for that? Lol
jsBLwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #87
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddohc View Post
Wow thanks for the 4 pages of responses. Im thinking i will just fix the car and drive it stock until i sell it. I was under the misconception that this 2.0 liter had potential. If i do keep it i will do the japan 2.0 or usdm 2.5, whatever i can find first. Thanks guys
I don't think you learned much. The 2.0L motor is great, can be built up a lot, and make quite a bit of power. USDM vs JDM means jack squat.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #88
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
I don't think you learned much. The 2.0L motor is great, can be built up a lot, and make quite a bit of power. USDM vs JDM means jack squat.
Lol what? Have you been reading the same thread? And there is a huge difference between a jdm 2.0 and a usdm 2.0. Such as: forged internals, amazing factory big port heads, 8500rpm redline, etc. that's certainly more difference than "jack squat".
rexblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #89
Davenow
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 23676
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: de_dust and Orgrimar
Vehicle:
.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
I don't think you learned much. The 2.0L motor is great, can be built up a lot, and make quite a bit of power. USDM vs JDM means jack squat.
The fact that you don't know there are some VERY large differences between the USDM motors and JDM sti 2.0L long blocks shows that you should never, ever answer another tech related post. Ever.


Or is a closed deck and factory forged internals, larger port heads, different cam profiles and more, not a difference?
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #90
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default



Lets face facts here, this dude isn't going to do anything. He won't put a JDM motor in anything. And the fact that I never said JDM doesn't mean anything, I said it means jack squat. All differences in the motor can be had for a relatively CHEAP option with our US motors. SIMPLE.

Another simple fact is the entire forum gets there panties wet for mention of anything JDM. And most of us will never touch anything from that side of the pond.

Dave, I will never once answer a tech question because I made a simple statement that in this situation, JDM vs USDM means squat. Continue to read in between the non existent lines.

/jimmies rustled
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #91
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenow

The fact that you don't know there are some VERY large differences between the USDM motors and JDM sti 2.0L long blocks shows that you should never, ever answer another tech related post. Ever.

Or is a closed deck and factory forged internals, larger port heads, different cam profiles and more, not a difference?
Dave there hasn't been a closed deck EJ20 since 1995. I would say the same about the forged pistons, EJ22G being the exception of course.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #92
Tweeder
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129922
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sac Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

Default

^^ nope the V7 207 has forged pistons also. The went to the crap pistons with the V8
Tweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #93
olddohc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 64659
Join Date: Jun 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post


Lets face facts here, this dude isn't going to do anything. He won't put a JDM motor in anything. And the fact that I never said JDM doesn't mean anything, I said it means jack squat. All differences in the motor can be had for a relatively CHEAP option with our US motors. SIMPLE.

Another simple fact is the entire forum gets there panties wet for mention of anything JDM. And most of us will never touch anything from that side of the pond.

Dave, I will never once answer a tech question because I made a simple statement that in this situation, JDM vs USDM means squat. Continue to read in between the non existent lines.

/jimmies rustled

Really guy? Just b/c im a noob to subies doesnt mean im a retard. i poured 15k into my last integra, my current civic i got away with a little less. tell me does this look like i did nothing?

olddohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #94
BlackJavaPearl04
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198522
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Up State NY
Vehicle:
98 LGT Limited
00 LGT -WRX swap

Default

excuse me ....with EL headers and a decent tune....and your absolutely retarded for giving that advice. 400 whp is not difficult and you dont need more than a fuel pump, injectors and a turbo with e85 ...no need to to go overboard and spend a fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexblake View Post
Lol suuuuure ya did....

To OP, this is the same advice I give everyone, buy a different car. 400whp dd on a 02-03 WRX is going to cost a fortune. You will need to build everything: tranny, brakes, suspension, stand alone ecu, fuel system, and one hell of an engine build. I'd say a good 30-40k (hence the buy a better platform to start).

And it still won't be reliable.

Look at some of my old threads, I had a 470whp 02 WRX. I wish I never would have put that much time and money into such a ****ty car.

If you want, I'd fix the head gasket, keep it stock, and sell it. Then put that money towards a better car. At the very least a STI, better yet, and Evo 9, which can hit 400whp on the stock turbo with E85.

Last edited by BlackJavaPearl04; 11-13-2012 at 12:21 AM.
BlackJavaPearl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #95
BlackJavaPearl04
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198522
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Up State NY
Vehicle:
98 LGT Limited
00 LGT -WRX swap

Default

nonsense huh? what nonsense? I was giving advice as you asked...the above dyno graph is non sense? ...I think not, you want cheap power? well there you go. "Haters gonaa hateee" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddohc View Post
So many to respond to where do i start. How bout to blackjava, seems like everyone else is being sincere and you throw in this nonsense? what gives man.
Too everyone else...
I know 400hp would not be cheap but i know it can be reliable. I had 15k in my other integra, it made 390 wheel and was reliable. I am buying the 03 for 4k and thought if i could get away with 3-5k and make over 300 wheel that would be pretty cheap for now and still reliable. I know the 2.5sti motor can handle 300 no problem. My buddy made 387 on his 05 sti with a bad tune. it ran for 3 years and finally spun 2 years ago. Yes i know ultimately i will need the sti tranny too.

Last edited by BlackJavaPearl04; 11-13-2012 at 12:47 AM.
BlackJavaPearl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #96
chris the man
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287783
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: COLORADO
Vehicle:
08 predator evo X
RR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJavaPearl04 View Post
get a vf39 get tuned with e85 and be done cheap...I made 380/ 445 at the wheels with EL headers

did anyone else see this ***** LOLOLOL!!!! ^^^^^
chris the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #97
spotter29
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 272930
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: LA, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STi
AW

Default

the shop's dyno does not read hot either so if one of you clowns even tries to play that card i'ma have to correct you.
spotter29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #98
BlackJavaPearl04
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198522
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Up State NY
Vehicle:
98 LGT Limited
00 LGT -WRX swap

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris the man View Post
did anyone else see this ***** LOLOLOL!!!! ^^^^^
why the hate man? dyno graph is above...appraently most of you arent familiar with the wonders of e85 and EL headers....shameful ignorant basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotter29 View Post
the shop's dyno does not read hot either so if one of you clowns even tries to play that card i'ma have to correct you.
Look those are the numbers that came out...they are numbers that is all. the op gave a number he wanted to get up around. What medium he uses to verify this number is up to him.
BlackJavaPearl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #99
punchjamesarnol
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 284835
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: S.D.
Vehicle:
2014 Hyundai Equus
White Pearl Mica

Default

I made 355 awhp 400 something tq on stock vf48 on e85 + supporting mods, ebcs, 3" custom cai and of course the master tuning skillz of Phatron from Phatbotti tuning. The more HP you make, its never enough. LOL!
punchjamesarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #100
ByeBye4g63t
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 290896
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, Az
Vehicle:
2004 STi, FOR SALE
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
I hope you're not being serious. But, if you are, here's a perfectly good reason:

You can't legally use 400HP on the street.
You don't really need alot of hp to break 75mph. My lifted '88 4runner on 35's with a 22re and 100hp could do 80mph, which will get you a ride to jail if you're anywhere but the freeway. Don't play that card, it's just asinine. And please, let's stop acting like 400hp is alot of power. 400hp is chump change these days, especially when you can go to the ford dealer and buy a 700hp mustang. However, I understand your point, so please don't flame me. Thank you.

OP, if you want to go fast for cheap in a turbo AWD car, buy a DSM. I know I sound like a broken record, but you really can't beat the 4g63 for going fast. Here's an example: Bought my 1993 eclipse gsx for 2500 dollars, VERY clean, well maintained, completly stock with 122k miles. I did the timing belt, installed ARP hardware, caught up the maintinance, traded the stocker turbo + yard work for a 20g (which I ended up trading for an Evo 3 16g because it wouldn't stop surging, and took forever to spool on pumpgas) then did injectors/fuel pump and ECM link (about 1k, including mods). With no meth injection, stock sidemount intercooler and 20psi, it ran 13.0's at 101-102. After doing cams, porting the head, and adding alcohol injection (an additonal 1k) , it clicked of consistent 11.7's at 114-115. It's an automatic. The stock longblock (6 bolt) can take up to 400-450whp reliably, and the w4a33 automatics that came in these cars have been deep into the 9's and high 8's with nothing more than new end clutches and a shift kit. I won't even begin talking about what this car could do with another 1000-2000 dollars (I lied, with a 20g and nitrous for the launch to stall it up on the converter, it could be a mid 10 second car). So where it sits, a mid 11's car full weight on pump/meth with a/c, I spent about 4500 dollars. 4500 dollars in a Subaru will get you an STi shortblock and a 6 speed, and you have a low 13/high 12 car, and you're looking and thousands and thousands to hit 11's. Just take it into consideration is all I'm asking.....

Last edited by ByeBye4g63t; 11-13-2012 at 12:52 AM.
ByeBye4g63t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.