Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
SimonTuffGuy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28550
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Black

Default Central PA Scoobs - Can I borrow your MAF?

Anyone in/around the Harrisburg, PA area willing to swap you MAF with me for a few days? I'm trying to sort out the infamous P0171 CEL. So far I've swapped in a new fuel filter, ran some good fuel injector cleaner through... Cleaned the air filter, cleaned up the MAF with some MAF spray, and checked for air leaks, etc. Car is a bone stock 02 WRX.

The threads all seem to point to MAF or O2 sensor, but I'm trying to sort out the easiest things to swap before I dump the money on either part

Willing to drive to meet wherever needed and will toss in some food or something to make it worth your time or whatever. My CEL has been coming on every 100~ miles, almost on the dot after being reset. So I think it would be pretty easy to confirm.

Please reply here or PM me if you're able to assist. Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SimonTuffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
ObsOwner98NA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337247
Vehicle:
2004 Wrx Wagon
Silver

I have a MAF that i know is good on my 98 obs which is parked for the moment. i dont think they plug up normally to the 02 wrx but im not really willing to part with my wrx's MAF since i just got the car yesterday.. im located in the allentown area. if you feel like running a temp wiring job to give it a shot let me know.
ObsOwner98NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Abnormal
Douchebag Moderator

Member#: 149626
Vehicle:
2005 CGM FXT
Rocket Box! :D

Between the MAF and the front O2 both being possibilities you're looking at roughly $300-$400 in parts.

If you were closer I'd offer you mine, but I'd take a considerable deposit

IMO, just buy one and go for it. Or, borrow a high tech logging scanner and see if the output from your front O2 is looking good.
Abnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
SimonTuffGuy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Black

Abnormal - Agree completely... I was thinking one at a time, but you know... The front O2 sensor is $110 on amazon prime, so I may just end up there first. The MAF is under $150 from Autozone after core for refurb. As long as it fixes my issue, I'd be happy with that.

But if hate to dump any money if neither of those actually fix the issue, the the borrow first.

Anyone local with the cord and software to help log?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
SimonTuffGuy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Black

Obs - thanks for the offer... I was going for a plug and pay option if possible. If all else fails, I'll be in touch. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
SimonTuffGuy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Black

Well...purchased a replacement oxygen sensor off Amazon for $120 and installed it earlier this week... Did a 200 mile trip on Saturday and the CEL came back on.... Agh!

Luckily, a buddy of mine picked up a WRX earlier this week, so I swapped MAFs with him today, reset the code, and took it out for 120~ mile trip out to camp. No CEL, no hesitation under boost, it ran great! Swapped my sensor back in for the 70 mile trip home and immediately hesitated and ran noticeably worse. So I broke down and purchased a replacement online. Advance had the OEM Denso unit for $208 with 20% off and free shipping, so I went that route... Was cheaper than anywhere else that I saw in the web and it wasn't a refurb. That 20% off expires tonight, in case anyone else is looking to make use of it.

Thanks for the suggestions and help... And good luck to anyone else battling this code.