Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
MJEFF
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 221174
Default normal plug maint on 09 Impreza

We own a bone stock 09 Impreza 5 door....we had the maint performed by our Subaru only garage . They did it by the book, changing all fluids, plugs filters etc.
It says the plugs are to be changed at evewry 30K ....isn't there a plug we could use that would last a lot longer than 30K...its not the cost of the service...it just seems that there are plugs on the market that would last 60K+ and perform well in normal conditions.
Anyone have any thoughts on that? MJEFF
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
subiebosch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 155548
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 2500 Dmax
2011 WRX TP STG2 COBB DP

I have an 02 impreza outback bone stock and I changed the spark plugs on it myself at 157k. The stock ones were changed out with BOSCH +2 at around 30k, and then changed 120k+ miles later. The only reason I changed them at 157k is because the car started misfiring so I changed the plugs and wires. I live in Michigan and the car is always parked outside and I never had any issues until that one day where it misfired.

So to answer your question, no you don't need to change them every 30k at all. Especially if you get decent plugs.
subiebosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
MJEFF
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply, I am presuming the Bosch+2 are the Iridium plugs?

BTW, do you use the standard Subie filter or have you tried Mobil's . We use Mobil 1 in the car and I thought about using a Mobile One filter(presuming they make one for the Subie).
Our Subie mechanics(as I don't have a place to work on the cars anymore) are terrific and honest and we are on our third Subie, as it is my S.O's primary car. We live in MA. and there are ton's of Subies in NE...

We recently had a trans problem with the 5spd, covered under warranty of course.. they had to replace the center diff and some bearings as it was making a very noisy whine at 31K...Our mechanics did mention that Subaru was having some trans issues.. Quiet as a mouse currently.. MJEFF
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
subiebosch
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 2500 Dmax
2011 WRX TP STG2 COBB DP

MJEFF,

I bought my 2002 new and currently have close to 180k on it. Haven't changed much on it, its still got the original clutch, and everything under the hood except timing belt, plugs and battery.
I have used Mobil 1 full syn 5W30 with the mobil 1 filter (M1-108 is the part number) ever since I can remember. I never had a oil change done anywhere else. In this normally aspirated application, the M1 combination seems to work just fine and I change the oil every 8k miles.
I sually have to add a quart of oil between changes, just to keep it level. But a quart over 8k miles is nothing.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
MJEFF
Scooby Newbie

Subiebosch, thanks for the part # and I might see if I can find one locally. As I said the oil is done about 6K, as with all the family vehicles, which includes my 06 Toyota Tacoma, V6, 6spd.

As for our other Subie, it was a plain jane 96 Legacy wagon, which my SO needed the wagon for work...5spd with 37k on it. We put 130 on it, doing normal maint, including the T- belts and our last was at 121k with w/pump and then later as we tried to get a inspection sticker, as it was going to fail as the cat converter was shot...$2300 for the cat and replacement of the pipes etc. It also would need a clutch as that had never been done and was getting close. Way to much $$$ for a 96-97.
She took that car everywhere and it never failed with the exception of the alternator and that was paid for by SOA, at 58K... That car never failed starting in some pretty cold weather-15 and a wonderful car in the snow...as all Subies are.

If I didn't need the truck, I would have a nice Outback 5/6spd... thanks again for the info.
So we bought the new 09 and had to do some looking for a 5spd. I tried to talk my SO into a nice Outback Wagon but she really like the Impreza, as it fits her size and she felt really confortable in it and of course the salesman knew he had a sale, immediately. Thanks again. MJEFF
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
subiebosch
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 2500 Dmax
2011 WRX TP STG2 COBB DP

Not a problem Sir. Autozone and etc should have that filter in stock and I think it might fit seeing how I use it on my 02 Impreza Outback and my 11 WRX.
They are pretty resilient little buggers, at least the normally aspirated ones are.

Have fun, and let me know if there is anything else.