Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 25, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
View Poll Results: I have a 2010-2012 STi with Stage 1 and I have
Blown a Ringland 3 16.67%
Not blown a Ringland 13 72.22%
Been Denied Coverage 0 0%
Have NOT been denied Coverage(AP back to stock first) v2 Accesssport 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #51
DjTrav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 291264
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pasadena, MD
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb 6R
I've got a 2011 with 45,000 kms. Going strong only thrown 2 codes one at 1600 km and one at 12,000. Only mod is muffler delete.

Now i have a few buddies with the same year and 4 out of 6 have had a blown ringland. 2 cars stock and 2 modded to stage 1. Same climate, similar km's and driving styles.
Stg 1, ringland problems for me. At 9k miles too... back to stg 0. Staying there awhile.

I wasnt denied coverage btw, i would call soa if you were.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DjTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #52
fr0st
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41618
Join Date: Aug 2003
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
wrb

Default

isin't ringland issues related to how much your beating the car ?? i mean if you stay all day on the rev limiter, weather you're stg 1 or stock, you will break something.. most likely a ringland.

stock ones had ringlands go south.. so did stag one..

so what does this tell us??

pistons are not forge and can't take a beating long??? me thinks yes.
fr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #53
DjTrav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 291264
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pasadena, MD
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

me thinks cast pistons suck, I rarely got on my car... did I get on its once and awhile, sure. But I have 2 kids usually in the back seat, so no crazy driving most of the time.
DjTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #54
Jester808
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166085
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
1990 Skyline GTR
Jet Silver Metallic

Default

I don't think we'll ever have a definitive answer on this subject. Everything is theoretical. Talking to the dealer they received almost as much unbeaten on/abused cars as they did modded and 'obviously' driven hard ones. A few people even had them fail before break-in procedure was completed. I can only talk from personal experience and observation though.
Jester808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #55
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester808 View Post
I don't think we'll ever have a definitive answer on this subject. Everything is theoretical. Talking to the dealer they received almost as much unbeaten on/abused cars as they did modded and 'obviously' driven hard ones. A few people even had them fail before break-in procedure was completed. I can only talk from personal experience and observation though.
No, OP seems to think there is concrete evidence out there, somewhere, and he might find it if he creates enough threads.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #56
datbacker59
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 250117
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New York 518
Vehicle:
2012 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

you really think this thread was for conclusive evidence? more like peoples experiences. you talk negative with every sentence im starting to think you 1. have an ego issue 2. have an internet know it all guy mode or 3. just some shy nerd too much time on the computer that has to be right everytime. you rven sent me a PM to be the "right" guy. Listen you act like I sont know these things but obv i do and nothin in my original post says i dont . so please do youself a favor and get some human friends
datbacker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #57
Dale2011WRX
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 304299
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Nor'East
Vehicle:
2011 WRX, white
2014 Crosstrek, tangerine

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester808 View Post
Everything is theoretical.
That's not true. If we could get a large enough sample that was representative of the population of interest we would have a very strong answer. The problem, as has been pointed out several times, is how difficult it would be to get a representative sample. That's one reason the the OP is getting so much negativity; even if he gets a large number of NASIOCers to participate in his poll, it's likely to be a non-representative sample, and therefore the results would not apply to the population at large. Garbage in, garbage out.
Dale2011WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #58
Jester808
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166085
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
1990 Skyline GTR
Jet Silver Metallic

Default

The theoretical statement was applied to exactly what causes the ringland failure. Everyone seems to have their own opinion, and that's all it will ever be until SOA flat out announces what the real issue is. Which will never happen.
Jester808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #59
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbacker59 View Post
you really think this thread was for conclusive evidence? more like peoples experiences. you talk negative with every sentence im starting to think you 1. have an ego issue 2. have an internet know it all guy mode or 3. just some shy nerd too much time on the computer that has to be right everytime. you rven sent me a PM to be the "right" guy. Listen you act like I sont know these things but obv i do and nothin in my original post says i dont . so please do youself a favor and get some human friends
There is no need to fabricate lies to justify your worthless thread .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale2011WRX View Post
That's not true. If we could get a large enough sample that was representative of the population of interest we would have a very strong answer. The problem, as has been pointed out several times, is how difficult it would be to get a representative sample. That's one reason the the OP is getting so much negativity; even if he gets a large number of NASIOCers to participate in his poll, it's likely to be a non-representative sample, and therefore the results would not apply to the population at large. Garbage in, garbage out.
Exactly. Only a very small fraction of owners are even on the forums.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #60
fr0st
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41618
Join Date: Aug 2003
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
wrb

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester808 View Post
The theoretical statement was applied to exactly what causes the ringland failure. Everyone seems to have their own opinion, and that's all it will ever be until SOA flat out announces what the real issue is. Which will never happen.
True.

But even more, you cannot compare this as it is affected by mods and how you drive it.


Back in 03, the mazdaspeed protege was plagued with a cracking exhaust manifold. It didnt matter weather you modded the car or not or how drive it. They ALL did it. Mazda never admitted to this. The part was made by Callaway.

But on subies, some break ringlands some dont. Mods? Bad pistons? Driving?

No pole on any forum can give out the real reason. Too many variables.

Nobody drives the same. Mod the same. But we all can agree the pistons are weak
fr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #61
Jester808
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166085
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
1990 Skyline GTR
Jet Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st

True.

But even more, you cannot compare this as it is affected by mods and how you drive it.

Back in 03, the mazdaspeed protege was plagued with a cracking exhaust manifold. It didnt matter weather you modded the car or not or how drive it. They ALL did it. Mazda never admitted to this. The part was made by Callaway.

But on subies, some break ringlands some dont. Mods? Bad pistons? Driving?

No pole on any forum can give out the real reason. Too many variables.

Nobody drives the same. Mod the same. But we all can agree the pistons are weak
Quoted for truth.
Jester808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #62
jhmr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313217
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2013 STi Sedan Stg 1
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st View Post
True.

But even more, you cannot compare this as it is affected by mods and how you drive it.


Back in 03, the mazdaspeed protege was plagued with a cracking exhaust manifold. It didnt matter weather you modded the car or not or how drive it. They ALL did it. Mazda never admitted to this. The part was made by Callaway.

But on subies, some break ringlands some dont. Mods? Bad pistons? Driving?

No pole on any forum can give out the real reason. Too many variables.

Nobody drives the same. Mod the same. But we all can agree the pistons are weak
Truth indeed. Safest thing to do is to stay BONE stock during warranty period. Bone stock EVERYTHING. Suspensions, wheels, engine...EVERYTHING. Drive it as you wish with the stock tune. Be mindful to perform and keep a record of all the appropriate maintenance. Who cares about a crappy tune because if a piston breaks, you'll be covered and you can repeat this process all over again. All the meanwhile you should be saving all the money you'd normally be dumping in mods until you have enough to build that forged short block.

Doing it like this you set yourself up for a win-win. If the pistons break, you're covered, no extra cash down the drain. If the pistons don't break, you're still saving up for a forged build.

Even better, you save up until you have ALL the mods you want all at once. Then when you're finally able to drop them in, it'll feel like a brand new car all over again. My GAWD I'M A GENIUS! It seems that all these years all you noobs have been doing it all wrong!
jhmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #63
MorganJ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203823
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Vehicle:
2009 WRX STI
2001 V7 JDM STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb 6R View Post
I've got a 2011 with 45,000 kms. Going strong only thrown 2 codes one at 1600 km and one at 12,000. Only mod is muffler delete.

Now i have a few buddies with the same year and 4 out of 6 have had a blown ringland. 2 cars stock and 2 modded to stage 1. Same climate, similar km's and driving styles.
I filled up with 91 at the Shell in Moncton on Mapleton Road by Costco and my car hated it. I had to put in some octane booster.
MorganJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.